Could this be a look at the future?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Actually, a merge would work better for rural customers: In the last failed attempt to merge DirecTV and Dish, as part of the deal, the new single sat provider proposed and agreed to a TWO-card rate with one being a LESS expensive rate (a big discount from the current rates) for the same services for rural customers recognizing a lack of real competition, while all the other subs would be charged the full rate.

I would not trust that as far as I could throw it. They might be bound by it for a while, but they would weasel out of it some way or another. It would be just like when CenturyTel merged with Embarq, they were "supposed" to supply at LEAST 3mpbs download speed to the whole network, and that has never happened.

I'd say it is the future for most people. No antenna on the roof or in the garden and no technicians wanting to "tune up" or change out your dish The delivery costs might actually be lower.
maybe a small antenna for a better connection to the nearest cell tower

Echostar is going to have a gangbuster product.
Notice, it is Echostar, not Dish that is offering the service. They are after a much bigger market than Dish.

Someone posted (Scott?) a while back that Echostar has one of the biggest fiber networks in the country that hauls the signals to their uplink stations. There probably is only one other company with similar assets (directv maybe). They are in the catbird seat since the entry costs to compete with their existing network will be very high.

Imagine what it would mean to a small cable company or a regional dsl provider to be able to offer triple play and not have to jump thru the technical, infrastructure, and provider hurdles to get into the business.

I can hear the sales pitch now. "We have deep relationships with all the local stations across the country along with the network and subscription providers and know how to make a contract with them that is fair to both parties. We are the only ones (perhaps Directv also), that have existing infrastructure in place to carry your local feeds tomorrow. You want a custom system, we can do it, you want networked DVR we can do it, you want time shift we can do it. And forget those must carry rules."

The wireless is nice but I doubt that is where the money will be made. Just too much bandwidth required for streaming video.

Couple things:

Does Echostar actually make products for anyone else besides DISH? They've showed off cable settop boxes before but I have not heard of them actually showing up anywhere.

Scott, remember when I messaged you about an episode of Home Theater Geeks 85 | TWiT.TV that had a guest on from Echostar? That's the guy that started Move Networks which this story talks about.

I'm not sure if any of us DISH people should be excited about this offering from Echostar. It doesn't really seem to apply to us. An as I'm sure others here would love to point out, DISH doesn't have the greatest track record for actually getting Echostar's latest tech out the same way it was announced.

I love how Chuck gambles with "our" money. Like everything else Dish is coming to the party late while others are moving on to bigger and better things. What's next for Chuck, TV over a cable?

I love how Chuck gambles with "our" money. Like everything else Dish is coming to the party late while others are moving on to bigger and better things. What's next for Chuck, TV over a cable?

Odd comment, since this is an advance. They are enabling cablecos of any size to offer some pretty impressive features that would otherwise be unaffordable. Reducing capital expense is a big deal - operating expenses are better to deal with.

Nice explanation of echostars plan.

Aria by EchoStar

Nice box 12 inch by 12 inch by 2 inch.

Windows 64 does not support the page. Need to use the 32 bit version

Works fine with Chrome on 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium. The product itself looks great, but cable companies don't want to buy products from a company related to the #2 DBS operator. They are pretty content with using the Motorola and Cisco set tops.

Odd comment, since this is an advance. They are enabling cablecos of any size to offer some pretty impressive features that would otherwise be unaffordable. Reducing capital expense is a big deal - operating expenses are better to deal with.

And besides, aren't Echostar and DISH two completely separate companies?

So what they are proposing is like a IPTV in addition to satellite? Not to sound negative... How is this going to work as more and more broadband companies come on board imposing bandwidth caps? Go over the cap, get your TV cut off. Is this a step in the right direction? Maybe I am missing something here?

To some extent, the Dish/Echostar wireless spectrum may sidestep some of this.

So what they are proposing is like a IPTV in addition to satellite? Not to sound negative... How is this going to work as more and more broadband companies come on board imposing bandwidth caps? Go over the cap, get your TV cut off. Is this a step in the right direction? Maybe I am missing something here?
I agree. With the monthly usage restrictions that many broadband companies have in place, I don't see IPTV as a feasible solution. It is fine for the occasional movie or VOD download, but would be a definite problem for everyday use.

I agree. With the monthly usage restrictions that many broadband companies have in place, I don't see IPTV as a feasible solution. It is fine for the occasional movie or VOD download, but would be a definite problem for everyday use.

The issue will probably be forced before long to change. Once a big enough group of people start hitting the cap they will complain to the government and the government will force the cap to go up or come off. Right now it is "just a bunch of pirates" hitting the cap as far as the average person is concerned. Once people start seeing their netflix and regular TV hitting the caps the gloves will come off.

Works fine with Chrome on 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium. The product itself looks great, but cable companies don't want to buy products from a company related to the #2 DBS operator. They are pretty content with using the Motorola and Cisco set tops.

This seems designed for smaller startups outside the cities currently without an existing cableco/provider or even for a large hotel or apartment complex that wants control over its own network, instead of relying on the local cableco. Whether it'll gain traction is anyone's guess.

This seems designed for smaller startups outside the cities currently without an existing cableco/provider or even for a large hotel or apartment complex that wants control over its own network, instead of relying on the local cableco. Whether it'll gain traction is anyone's guess.

You know Google is looking for a way to provide these services over their fast fiber network they are building in Kansas City... perhaps them an Echostar need to hook up.

Scherrman said:
I agree with the Movie Pass but I do enjoy getting movies and video games in the mail. Do you know if Dish is working on anything soon to improve the video on demand? There are so many customers that think they are getting the ability to stream movies like they did with Netflix. It's a bit misleading to the public.

I think you may be a bit confused. BBMP through your IP connected VIP DVR receiver has over 3,500 titles currently available. Through your computer using dish online.com, BBMP currently has over 5,000 titles available for streaming. Netflix has a current streaming library of 20,000 titles. Since Dish just rolled out this service it won't surprise me if they reach aprox the same library as Netfix within the next 9 to 18 months.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)