Could this crack in my preamp plug be affecting my OTA signal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I haven't had as good as picture lately and I'm wondering if this is the case. The crack is at the bottom of the plug...

1+Tsk8TVTEaGl+vhuqODIQ.jpg

The crack in the case would not be causing the problem. However, whatever that caused the crack may have caused the F-connector to break or have a bad connection on the inside.

Reactions: TheKrell
The crack in the case would not be causing the problem. However, whatever that caused the crack may have caused the F-connector to break or have a bad connection on the inside.

Pardon my ignorance but, the f-connector? Are you talking about the one on the end of the coax I had on it (or the LTE filter I tried today)? I think what’s the f-connector is, right?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Ok, I'm pretty sure the Channel Master LTE filter you've got on there is NOT power passing. You can NOT put it on the powered side of the coax line that goes up to the preamp. It has to either be between the antenna and the preamp, (preferred location) OR screwed on the back of your tv set, and the coax that used to be there goes to it's other side.

Reactions: Larry1 and the mack
Good catch Mike! I didn't even see that at first glance. I was looking at the crack. :D

Ok, I'm pretty sure the Channel Master LTE filter you've got on there is NOT power passing. You can NOT put it on the powered side of the coax line that goes up to the preamp. It has to either be between the antenna and the preamp, (preferred location) OR screwed on the back of your tv set, and the coax that used to be there goes to it's other side.
Even if it did pass power it is useless where it is installed.

Reactions: TheKrell
That device is not the pre-amp, it is the power supply. The other end of that cable plugs into the power inserter and your pre-amp should be near the antenna. The filter goes in the line coming from the antenna to the pre-amp.

It was having issues even before I got the LTE filter. Anyways is that not where the LTE filter goes? I read that it either goes to the coax right before the TV, right before the AC adapter on the end of the coax line in my home from the cable coming from the preamp, or right before the splitter. Did I do something wrong?

The LTE filter is to block cell phone frequencies from getting to the pre-amp or the TV tuner so it goes in the cable from the antenna to your pre-amp.

The LTE filter is to block cell phone frequencies from getting to the pre-amp or the TV tuner so it goes in the cable from the antenna to your pre-amp.

So does that mean I have to go on the roof to put it in?

You don't have to use it unless you have UHF stations that you should be receiving but are interfered with by Cell towers.

The LTE filter should be before uour pre-amp to be most effective. If a cell tower overloads your pre amp or interferes with a UHF station you need it.

It's just that where it is currently installed it is useless and may be blocking the voltage you need to your pre-amp.

If it were me I'd just remove it and see what happens.

You don't have to use it unless you have UHF stations that you should be receiving but are interfered with by Cell towers.

The LTE filter should be before uour pre-amp to be most effective. If a cell tower overloads your pre amp or interferes with a UHF station you need it.

It's just that where it is currently installed it is useless and may be blocking the voltage you need to your pre-amp.

If it were me I'd just remove it and see what happens.

Thanks, I will probably just leave it off until I can afford to pay someone to go on the apartment roof to install it. I also ordered another plug on eBay.

I have a splitter, so should it go before that? Keep in mind I had issues even before I got the LTE filter (only got it yesterday); I just thought I’d get one to see if anything changes or improves.

Anyways guys, I have a preamp, its power supply AC adapter, a distribution amp, and a splitter. Whereabouts should the LTE filter go?

Anyways guys, I have a preamp, its power supply AC adapter, a distribution amp, and a splitter. Whereabouts should the LTE filter go?

Does anyone have an answer to this last question I posted? I can’t put it on the roof right now because I live in an apartment as I would need to hire a professional to go up there as required by the apartment building.

Does anyone have an answer to this last question I posted? I can’t put it on the roof right now because I live in an apartment as I would need to hire a professional to go up there as required by the apartment building.

It needs to go on the roof, if that's where your antenna is located. Unscrew the coax jumper ON the antenna that goes to the preamp. Screw the LTE filter directly onto the antenna. Now, screw the coax you removed from the antenna, into the other side of the LTE filter.

THAT'S the best location. It removes the interfering LTE before your preamp amplifies it and makes it worse.

IF you absolutely can't go on the roof, you can remove the coax directly on the back of your tv set, screw the LTE filter in it's place, and then screw the removed coax onto the back of the LTE filter. IT won't work there nearly as well as on the roof, because your preamp will amplify interfering LTE, but if that's all you can do, then do that for now.

Reactions: harshness
It needs to go on the roof, if that's where your antenna is located. Unscrew the coax jumper ON the antenna that goes to the preamp. Screw the LTE filter directly onto the antenna. Now, screw the coax you removed from the antenna, into the other side of the LTE filter.

THAT'S the best location. It removes the interfering LTE before your preamp amplifies it and makes it worse.

IF you absolutely can't go on the roof, you can remove the coax directly on the back of your tv set, screw the LTE filter in it's place, and then screw the removed coax onto the back of the LTE filter. IT won't work there nearly as well as on the roof, because your preamp will amplify interfering LTE, but if that's all you can do, then do that for now.

Thanks, I’ll probably pay for someone to put it on the roof when either I get my rent rebate or get my second stimulus check (if that happens); whichever comes first.

Reactions: primestar31
I got the replacement power supply plug in the mail today. It works much better now! I'm going to pay attention for the next few days to see if it is consistent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)