Countdown to June

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
At this posting it is about 9 hours till June. We have all been waiting for June, like it's the second coming. I won't pretend to understand the technical end with the new Sats and all, heck I don't even know what Mpeg4 means. All I know is that it's June and I want to hear some good, no, GREAT news about HD programming on D* :p . Then all of a sudden out of left field I am seeing posts that say.....July :eek: . Ummm...whats up with that? Also for you guys in the know...if there is downrezzing going on, will it end with these new sats. I just can't stand the fact that our HD isn' full blown , that's what we paid the big bucks for!! Anyone with news to post like Longhorn, post away, we need to hear good things even if it is only conjecture at this point.

FlyingJ said:
At this posting it is about 9 hours till June. We have all been waiting for June, like it's the second coming. I won't pretend to understand the technical end with the new Sats and all, heck I don't even know what Mpeg4 means. All I know is that it's June and I want to hear some good, no, GREAT news about HD programming on D* :p . Then all of a sudden out of left field I am seeing posts that say.....July :eek: . Ummm...whats up with that? Also for you guys in the know...if there is downrezzing going on, will it end with these new sats. I just can't stand the fact that our HD isn' full blown , that's what we paid the big bucks for!! Anyone with news to post like Longhorn, post away, we need to hear good things even if it is only conjecture at this point.

Darn it! you beat me to this kind of message! :yes Like you I don't know s*&*^ of the technical terms. Mpeg4? isn't it something above Mpeg2? I just wanna know: moreHD??? more? more??? :D HD DVR for lease???

I'm afraid you are going to be counting until almost July. IMO announcements will come after Spaceway 2 is up near the end of the month. Probably some big post launch propaganda press conference or telephone conference. I think they did something like that with the 7s launch.

well think about it. Is it wise to announce stuff that is really contingent upon having the all 3 new sats up in the sky before the last one is launched? What if it blows up in the air? You'd look pretty silly.

I am waiting around also. I have my Voom rebate form filled out and ready, but I want to see what they are announcing.
It sounds like it would be best to be a D* customer when the changes happen, but I want to know the future NOW.

I just reread this post. Not sure if it makes sense.
I just do not want to sign up for promises like last time.

Kentstater72 said:
I am waiting around also. I have my Voom rebate form filled out and ready, but I want to see what they are announcing.
It sounds like it would be best to be a D* customer when the changes happen, but I want to know the future NOW.

I just reread this post. Not sure if it makes sense.
I just do not want to sign up for promises like last time.

I signed up and took the 200 bucks (voom rebate). Purchased the HDtivo with 5 yr warranty. I have existing D* HD equipment too. You will pull your hair out without the HDtivo if you are an HD fan. I figure a 12 month commitment is worth it just to get all of the equipment upgraded to Mpeg4. If they dont come through I will sell all of it, and since D* has a rep for good equipment it should be worth a nice sum on ebay.

vurbano said:
I signed up and took the 200 bucks (voom rebate). Purchased the HDtivo with 5 yr warranty. I have existing D* HD equipment too. You will pull your hair out without the HDtivo if you are an HD fan. I figure a 12 month commitment is worth it just to get all of the equipment upgraded to Mpeg4. If they dont come through I will sell all of it, and since D* has a rep for good equipment it should be worth a nice sum on ebay.

LOL, and what fool do you think will buy that non Mpeg-4 HD TIVO from you when DirectV announce that Mpeg-4 is now required for HDTV and they are not going to do free or cost effective upgrades!!!! :)

As Richard RD posted "LOL" you have to learn some patience. You crawl before you walk, you walk before you run. In the satellite industry you launch before you release publicity, you test the satellite before you put programming on it. :)

vurbano said:

You feelin OK today man??? You actually said something somewhat positive regarding D*. :D

richard_rd said:
LOL, and what fool do you think will buy that non Mpeg-4 HD TIVO from you when DirectV announce that Mpeg-4 is now required for HDTV and they are not going to do free or cost effective upgrades!!!! :)

The point is to get the mpeg4 upgrade now Sparky. D* has already stated that they would have to eat most of the upgrade costs. I used to think as you do but, when you think about it, there is no way they can honor the 5 year warranty I have without replacing it. Its the same reason Voom is refunding monies to box owners. You just cant charge all of that money for something and then stop the HD service rendering it useless for its intended purpose during its warranty period. Also just think of how expensive the Mpeg4 models will be when the mpeg2 model HDtivo was $999.00. I wouldnt be surprised to see it at 1500 bucks.

Tonedeaf said:
You feelin OK today man??? You actually said something somewhat positive regarding D*. :D
Not really. Only the good equipment part. LOL. If you read closely I just want everything upgraded so I can sell it if I have too. My current Mpeg2 stuff wont be worth anything if I dont. Yes I know I could have sold it now but I think the profit will be greater later. The mpeg2 stuff has already depreciated. :D

Tonedeaf said:
Not really. Only the good equipment part. LOL. If you read closely I just want everything upgraded so I can sell it if I have too. My current Mpeg2 stuff wont be worth anything if I dont.:D

vurbano said:
Also just think of how expensive the Mpeg4 models will be when the mpeg2 model HDtivo was $999.00. I wouldnt be surprised to see it at 1500 bucks.

All of the early reports indicated that the new Home Media Center (HMC), which is the MPEG4 replacement for the HDTivo, will cost about $500-$600 depending on how many additional client boxes you get. The upgrade cost will be less for those who already have an HD box. Those with an HD Tivo, will get it for little or no cost.

See the thread here for more information.

timing is everything

Lets see if I have this straight.

Soon(in mid summer) the top twelve DMA's will get HD locals
(I am in Detroit DMA and close enough to Toledo for OTA HD)
Latter (Fall) go to mpeg4
Even latter(end of year) Home media

If this is true, wont I be getting a Mpeg 2 TivoHD now
Trade for Mpeg 4
And then need to trade up again for the whole house solution?

Seems like a lot of shuffling of equipment for a 6-8 month period.

Kentstater72 said:

Trade for Mpeg 4

If you are getting enough HD OTA, there's no reason to switch to MPEG4 until there are some national HD channels in MPEG4. In otherwords, if you get an MPEG2 HDTivo, you could stick with that until the HMC is ready, unless you are really burning to get HD Locals from D*.

Kentstater72 said:

Trade for Mpeg 4

That's why I jumped on board E* when the V* ship sank last month. There are too many unknowns and I didn't feel comfortable spending my money at D* (lack of HD and overpriced HD receivers) until 2006. With E* I could lease two 811s and a 942 at minimal cost ($250 HD DVR upgrade fee) and I feel comfortable that I'll have the most HD (up to 21 VOOM HD channels) through 2005. Next years should prove interesting if D*, E* and Verizon FiOS deliver on some of their promises.

billbillw said:
If you are getting enough HD OTA, there's no reason to switch to MPEG4 until there are some national HD channels in MPEG4. In otherwords, if you get an MPEG2 HDTivo, you could stick with that until the HMC is ready, unless you are really burning to get HD Locals from D*.

I may have made an incorrect assumption that when Mpeg4 comes All Mpeg 2 shuts down and all old equipment goes blank. Especially HD (such as Universal HD etc)

Riff:
I am kinda doing what you are with the local cable. The only reason I am anxious is my hatred for the Toledo cable company.

Kentstater72 said:
I may have made an incorrect assumption that when Mpeg4 comes All Mpeg 2 shuts down and all old equipment goes blank. Especially HD (such as Universal HD etc)

Riff:
I am kinda doing what you are with the local cable. The only reason I am anxious is my hatred for the Toledo cable company.

MPEG2 HD Nationals will continue for quite some time (2-3 years at least) due to the slow transistion time of bringing all the markets into MPEG4.

billbillw said:
MPEG2 HD Nationals will continue for quite some time (2-3 years at least) due to the slow transistion time of bringing all the markets into MPEG4.

Correct. New National channels will probably be in Mpeg4 going forward. DirecTV has a history of not just dropping customers when they get new technology. Ultimate TV is still being supported even though Tivo has been out for a few years. Tivo will continue to be supported even though they will have their own DVR going forward. They realize the investment that folks have put into their systems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)