Couple dishnet implementation questions...

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
Hi All,
Forgive me if these answers are obvious, I tried to find them before posting.
I'm thinking of switching from Cable to dishnet. I'm pretty familiar with the components, because I've had directv and Cband in the past.

My questions are:

1.) If I buy my own dvr-based dishnet receiver, will basic dvr function work (pause & record the current show) without subscribing for 5$/mo?

1a.) If it does work, am I still wasting money buying a rcvr when I can pay $5/mo for a free receiver and get full dvr capability?

2.) Will my old Direct*v dish (still mounted) work? It's elliptical and has 3lnbs.

2a.) if Question2=yes, would it still be smarter to take a 'free install' and keep
the existing dish as a backup or mobile option?

JerryK,

Even if you purchase the receiver, the basic functions do not work, as far as I know. When activating the receiver, I believe there is no way to "Remove" the DVR service. I tried that with Tivo and after using a dish DVR, it is worth the extra monthly fee.

The DirectV dish could be made to work, with a lot of effort.

It is much better to get the free install.

Thx, guess I'll just call them and set it up, rather than trying to get fancy.

There is NO savings to be had by buying a receiver.

Fees for owned and leased receivers are identical and depreciation is generally more than the up-front lease cost.

In many cases up-front lease cost is negligible.

Get the free install, and it will include everything proper that you need, and poster is correct in stating that there is no financial advantage to buying your own STB: it is a disadvantage in terms of cost.

Buy your own receivers if you want more boxes than Dish is willing to "give" you. Dish has a limit of what they will provide in the promotion or upgrade.

If you get a DVR, there will be two fees (the "lease" fee is waived for the first box ONLY): a lease fee (or additional access fee if you own--same price--you can't escape paying it in one form or another) and a DVR fee, if you have a box with an internal HDD.

Have the CSR go throuhg all the fees, and they should tell you how much your bill will be with all fees included.

Keep in mind that Dish DVR fees are much less expensive than just about any other providers with TiVo at least $12.95 and some cable co.'s at $16, and FiOS can get as high as $19 per month.

Why dont I pay a receiver fee? I've owned my receiver since the beginning. I pay for my programming only.

Because the "lease" fee--and I presume Additonal Access fee for owned boxes--is not charged for the FIRST box on your account. If you have only 1 box, then you don't pay the fee. Any additional boxes on your account will be charged one of those fees.

Dish has you coming and going regarding this. Although the fee is the same amount, if Dish owns the box and you lease it, it is called the "Lease" fee. If you own the box, it is called the Additional Access (or Outlet) fee. You can't escape it. You will pay this fee on one name or another. "By any other name, a rose is a rose . . . " Charlie has got us good.

Because the "lease" fee--and I presume Additonal Access fee for owned boxes--is not charged for the FIRST box on your account. If you have only 1 box, then you don't pay the fee. Any additional boxes on your account will be charged one of those fees.

Dish has you coming and going regarding this. Although the fee is the same amount, if Dish owns the box and you lease it, it is called the "Lease" fee. If you own the box, it is called the Additional Access (or Outlet) fee. You can't escape it. You will pay this fee on one name or another. "By any other name, a rose is a rose . . . " Charlie has got us good.
...and in any world where the rules of logic applied, the additional outlet fee would be applied equally in all situations, meaning that those who leased additional receivers would be charged both fees. Yes, that is fair, hear me out on this:

I own my single box, but I see that there is no advantage at all to owning, except I have the option of cancelling and not having to send it back (lots of archived video, probably can't watch that without an active sub anyway). I refuse to pay the fee on a second box I own when that same fee is not charged on the second box another subscriber is leasing. Even the executive team could not explain it.
Me: Why am I charged the same $5 as my neighbor who leases his receivers, when I own the box?
Them: It's not the same. Yours is an "additional outlet fee" and his is a "lease fee"
Me: Why isn't he charged for the additional outlets then but I am? Seems like an inequitable fee structure to me.
Them: It's the same. The "additional outlet fee" applies to customers without lease, the "lease fee" applies to lease customers.
Me: Erm, huh?
I don't understand why they opt for the confusing language, when the situation in practice is that a lease is free, and every extra receiver has a fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts