Couple of 522 problems

Wishbone

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Newberg, OR
I haven't been following this forum recently and did a few searches and didn't see this topic..

I've been having a recurring problem recently where on occasion a timer won't fire.. It says it's recording (The guide, not the red light) but nothing is there. Also, when I try to record manually by using the record button, I select which timer, but nothing happens. Again, the guide says I'm recording.. Anyone see this? Software: L251.

Wayne

I have this and a related problem, and it seems to have started with software version 251 although it is still a problem with 253. It has made me miss 4 recordings this week, and I'm upset with this DVR. Dish is replacing it but I don't know that a new 522 will change anything that is caused by buggy software.

I don't know all situations that cause this.

But one of them is a problem with a system information screen that seems to appear somewhat randomly, mostly on TV2. It's not there at night, but it is there next morning, for example.
Or if you hit a wrong button or extra button on the remote when turning off the receiver, this is especially sensitive to the TV2 UHF Pro setup because sometimes the remote commands get lost or broken up. Anyway, when that screen is up, timers won't record, even though the schedule says they did. Or if a recording is in progress and that screen is up, the recording will not end, and you will have to stop it manually after clearing the info screen. Of course, if you're on TV1, you would not notice that the screen is up on TV2. (But this screen has appeared on TV1 as well and it causes the same problem).

The other night the receiver wouldn't turn on, even though it sounded like it was recording (by the sound of the hard drive), red light off. I had to reboot it, and then of course the red light came on but it only listed as recorded the bit after I reboot it. (I had already rebooted a couple of days earlier).

The other kicker is that if you look at the Schedule and the "Done" events, it will say that it executed and should have recorded. Other than the fact that the recording is missing from the recorded programs list, you might notice that on the timers that fired but ended up not saving anything it will not say "AV Recorded" when you look at the event detail.

This problem defeats the purpose of a DVR. I cannot believe it is so unreliable and you're at the mercy of these random software downloads on whether things get fixed or broken.

Everyone who is experiencing this problem needs to call Dish Network and complain about it. I called a few weeks ago and the CSR said it was the first he had herd of it. Apparently not enough customers have complained to get Dish to even acknowledge that there is a problem so I doubt they are working on a fix.
Maybe we should call and demand credit for the DVR fee since we are not receiveing service. Money talks louder than words.

I forgot about the system info screen randomly appearing.. I get that as well.. In fact, it could well be that when it comes on, the timers won't fire, as I think that it was those days that my timers broke.

Anyways, I've been rebooting every morning, and it hasn't happened again.

Edited later: After doing some more searches, I found more info on this issue... It seems that it doesn't record when the info screen is up... However, even after I press "Done", it won't record at all on TV2 until I reboot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)