Couple of 811 questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KDRE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
Im curious as to why Im seeing a thin black bar on the side of my HDTV when vewing anything besides an HD channel. Can I fix this somehow?

Also, how does component cables affect the pic quality vs. DVI?

KDRE said:
Im curious as to why Im seeing a thin black bar on the side of my HDTV when vewing anything besides an HD channel. Can I fix this somehow?

Also, how does component cables affect the pic quality vs. DVI?
Are you getting the black bar on one side or both the right and left sides when viewing other than HDTV? If it is on both sides try using your aspect button in conjunction with the pg up/down buttons to change aspects. You may desire to change the scaling setting of your monitor. Basically a majority of programming is still in the 4:3 aspect ratio which will show the black bars on the sides of the picture when using at 16:9 aspect ratio. DVI is more accurately designed to pass actual digital digital signal and should give a slightly better picture(if your eyes are able to notice the difference.)

Im getting the black bar on the right side of the screen.

Im using DVI by the way on a RPTV.

I wouldnt mind the bar if I knew it wouldnt leave a streak on my tv (which hasnt happened btw), it just concerns me a bit,

But when I had directv, I never had that problem. I could zoom the picture and no bars would be there. With Dish (Im guessing with the DVI) I cannot zoom the television with the actual tv remote. With the Dish remote I can zoom the picture, but it leaves the thin black bar on the side.

With Voom I had that problem on my non HD locals.

Is this normal?

With the 811 the TV may or may not change it's aspect ratio, my Sony does it depending on the signal. However the 811 has it's own aspect ratio adjustments, either hit the * or page up button when watching tv and you'll cycle through the different setting.

On an RPTV I'd leave the DVI hooked up.

Gotcha man... btw, love the avatar... I like that guy alot from the Venture Brothers.. there's something about seeing certain shows really late at night that catches my attention with something nutty happening.

Have you tried adjusting your picture? Go into the HD setup part of the menu and try the ADJUST and move it to the right. If you put up a channel like ESPNHD with the graphics for a sidebar, you can easily center the picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts