couple of V* installation questions

theph0xx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 2, 2004
my first question is concerning the diplexer that is normally used during installation... the recommendation by those on this forum is to request that it not be used... im just curious if that is a problem at all? since im not fully versed in satellite tech it may be hard for me to explain to the installer why i dont want the diplexer installed and id like to be prepared if there will be a "struggle" over its use... what extra work is involved when not using the diplexer?

secondly concerns the necessity of the voom stb being constantly connected to a phone line... the nearest phone jack for me is much much too far away to run cable... and i cant have a new phonejack installed as im a renter... does anyone know if there is some relatively inexpensive solution to my problem? something wireless perhaps?

thx in advance for all the help!

Welcome to the forum. I see it's your first post.

Not using the diplexer means that the installer will run seperate lines from your dish and from your OTA antenna into the Voom STB. Many people have complained that diplexers degrade or weaken the signal, but other have used diplexers and have had successful installations. Personally, I think seperate lines are better, but if the diplexer is used, you can change that later. Above all, be courteous, but firm if you do not want the diplexer.

On the subject of phone jacks, you can use a wireless setup as long as you have 1 active phone jack. RCA makes a wireless jack, and many more companies manufacture them. Your local radio shack will have something on hand. I'm using a wireless jack from a distance of 40 feet, through 4 walls, and it works fine.

Good luck with your installation, and be sure to read the information in Important Voom Threads. You will get a good education prior to installation time.

thx for the info much appreciated... and quite timely as well :p

If you are unsure of whether or not to use the diplexer...tell the installer to run the two coax lines just in case. Even if one coax line is not used then you have the other line to experiment with if you are having problems getting OTA ch's. One thing I have found is that the diplexer doesnt take too much power away compared to the power injector that they give you. If you are on the fringe of getting a ch...maybe it will make a difference for you. But if your sig is in the low 20's and below that you might have to experiment and explore your options for pulling in OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)