Court ruling today in TiVo case.

Does this lawsuit also include their 500 series receivers that Dish sells to Bell TV in Canada ( Bell's calls them 5000 Series)? If not Dish could take the receivers, reset the smart cards to Bell TV settings and sell them cheap to Bell TV. Bell would get a cheap reliable receiver and since they don't charge a DVR fee their customers could get a cheap "upgrade" to a DVR (Bell still calls them PVR's). It would be a win win situation Bell would make customers happy for cheap and Dish gets rid of their old receivers!

Hi! I'm new here. But I have a 522 and 311(non dvr) but my point is I LOVE my 522 I've had it since 03 and no problems. Plus I'm probably one of the few who don't have hd and no interest in ever having it lol. I hope dish wins this fight. Plus I have a lot of movies on my dvr I don't want to lose.

TIVO could then sue for infringing on mpeg 4 boxes. At least for me there was no clear difference beween infringing and not
Don't forget Tivo was awarded two additional patents last year that were 10-years in the making - one of them involves their Season Pass process. Unless they reach a licensing agreement, I'm sure Tivo will go after the VIP Series DVRs.

Don't forget Tivo was awarded two additional patents last year that were 10-years in the making - one of them involves their Season Pass process. Unless they reach a licensing agreement, I'm sure Tivo will go after the VIP Series DVRs.
I'm sure TIVO will try and sue again but E*'s lawsuit against TIVO is in the hopper ahead of this. Wouldn't it be something if TIVO was in court on two fronts at the same time. Defending against the E* patent infringement suit and pursuing their own suit for infringement against E* (and Verizon and AT&T).

I'm sure TIVO will try and sue again but E*'s lawsuit against TIVO is in the hopper ahead of this. Wouldn't it be something if TIVO was in court on two fronts at the same time. Defending against the E* patent infringement suit and pursuing their own suit for infringement against E* (and Verizon and AT&T).
On a positive note, all these legal matters should be resolved...by the year 2020. :eek:

If I read all you right, this means TIVO wins; their patent, their mpeg2; the mpeg II dvr.............
By making e* shut off the devices, another appeal will be necessary, no matter what, they are affirming MPEG II DVR's

TIVO has been downplayed so much, and nobody was required to own their technology (did directv win against them?), no matter how it was accomplished, for so long now; the amount is dish and directs dvr users fees for the last 15 years, well, however long they charged for it's use. Not to mention the technology must be turned off. Take say ([number of dvr's issued at half users]5 million + 7.5 million)*((5/10)*10)+(1/2*5))[users fees half averaged from 5 per mo.])*(12*[years in months number]*15[amount of years used of technology, from 3 years after establishing a little dish] Let me get my calculator..............Could be quite a take back by them.................................looks to me like...........................................a large number will soon be emitted..................................They should have done a un-wanted takeover, TIVO might now be owed Dish.................................

12.5 million times 7.5 times 12 time 15 ===== almost 1 billion dollars..................

No wonder the stock is climbing..............

DirecTV didn't try to fight even though they bought the Replay patents.I thought they would,but no they bought something Dish Network could have used.

Keep in mind that on Monday, Dish can have a licensing agreement with TiVo for 3 years; then the next day move forward in swapping-out the "infringing" DVR's. So, it might take several months or maybe a full year, but the idea is that Charlie will have TiVo out of his life forever at that point: no more licensing payments.

So my question would be say Dish Network does sign an agreement with Tivo does that give Tivo the right to go into Dish Network and check out their technology?like the ability to operate 2 TVs off of one DVR? or to be able to record 4 programs at once?(2OTA+2SAT).Being the not trusting type this would concern me.

You have a strange sense of humor, Bob.

i wasnt joking, in most ways the idea seems the same, and very close to a VCR......

The complexities of patent law are above my pay grade, and looks like they are above most peoples understanding including judges......

With all the litigation going on, TiVo may not make it to the Supreme Court. But if Don is right, even after they fold/get absorbed, the executive suite may be facing some NEW legal woes.
Non-issue... executives and upper management (not sure how high or low the chain it applies) can't buy or sell company stock freely. They have to make arrangements in advance to sell on pre-determined dates and at pre-determined values. Are execs buying or selling TiVo stock ? They very well may be.... Is it "insider trading" ? No way !!

So my question would be say Dish Network does sign an agreement with Tivo does that give Tivo the right to go into Dish Network and check out their technology?like the ability to operate 2 TVs off of one DVR? or to be able to record 4 programs at once?(2OTA+2SAT).Being the not trusting type this would concern me.
Dish and TiVo could make an agreement that says anything (including the scenarios you point out). It has no relation to this court case unless they "settle" on terms like that. The "technology" you mention certainly isn't anything any company would pay for though !!

Any licensing agreement with TiVo related to this patent case would only allow Dish to use the older, BETTER software that our DVRs had a while back. It's this new/updated s/w that Dish believes doesn't infringe -- but that doesn't work as well !

riffjim4069 said:
In my mind, it basically means that E* pays $$$ for not disabling the DVRs in question (regardless if they infringed or not), and the case if remanded back to the District Court for see if their software changes are/were merely colorably different. It also means that Tivo will begin additional litigation strategies (i.e., VIP series DVRs - to include Season Pass infringment) against E*, and others, and this case will never truly end. To be honest, "Clear as Mud" sums it up quite nicely. It also means that Jacmyoung will be back to posting his endless spin on this issue.

Okay I am here, what was all this fuss about?:)

I noticed TiVo stock went up almost 30% then came down more than 6.5% the next day, DISH prettty much stayed the same.

So what happened?:)

In a nutshell instead of really punishing Ergen, the court, afraid of a bunch of angry Dish consumers having their devices shut down, abdicated their responsibility to apply justice and merely smacked his knuckles which gives him time to get rid of the old DVR's and convert to new ones. Someone should check the judges bank accounts for DISH checks.

IMHO the only judge who needs his accounts audited is Judge Folsom. Wasn't there something about buying a bunch of pigs in Texas to taint the jury pool?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)