Cox Internet and TV

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
If I sub to internet only will I hae access to any TV (without an STB).

If I sub to internet only will I hae access to any TV (without an STB).

I would have to think so as long as your tv has a qam tuner.It's also possible Cox still has some analog channels.I was very surprised to get 37 channels with just a net subscription,we have Charter here.

You can try this link,they may have a listing for the clear qam channels in your area.

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

I've noticed lately with Cox in our city that the installer only put a filter in place for TV if you have a sat dish on your property! Otherwise they tend to not place a filter on the line so you can get the free local channels on your TV with out needing the off air antenna.

I only have COX internet and all the Analog and unscrambled QAM channels are available... and for some reason they don't scramble their VOD.

VOD is scrambled here and according to neighbors they do add filters to the line. I just have to decide if the fee for that tier is worth it asa backup to my primary provider.

There is a trap (barrel)filter on my line but,the cable companies are required to leave at least local channels un scrambled.That could soon change,anyway as it is now I can get 37 clear qam channels with my internet sub.

There is a trap (barrel)filter on my line but,the cable companies are required to leave at least local channels un scrambled.That could soon change,anyway as it is now I can get 37 clear qam channels with my internet sub.

Required? How so?

As part of the digital changeover, the cable companies were required to leave locals in the clear for their subscribers, so that a converter box was not required. There was movement to change that recently, but I haven't really followed what has become of it.

IIRC, that is only for television customers, not internet only ones. The op was asking about internet only availability of tv channels.

It will vary by City, but most cable internet customers will get locals and possibly a few other channels until the cable company fully encrypts their entire system. They have to meet certain federal guidelines to do that, so it comes down to cost and convenience.

Most voice and/or data orders are self install anymore, why spend the money to roll a truck to put a trap on a single line to block a few local channels. The Cox system in Tulsa and OKC is now fully automated, so there is only a truck roll if a problem shows up on the system or a customer requests WHDVR or a professional install.

Here is the FCC doc, if you want to read more.
http://www.fcc.gov/document/commission-relaxes-cable-encryption-prohibition

Interesting read, what I have gone through at least. Apparently the ruling only deals with systems that are completely digital. My cable system isn't yet. Besides, like I mentioned, this deals with customers that have cable, not just internet.

The OP asked what tv channels one might get along with their internet only cable service.

As has been said it varies by system, and there is no hard and fast reason why. My neighbor works for Cox and Cost is the reason they don't go out and put a trap on every internet users line to block the locals and the government access channels. Cox still has some analog and hybrid analog/digital systems, perhaps that changes if they every get to fully digital.

As to why those channels are unencrypted to begin with, that is because of the fcc ruling for tv service. So they are intertwined.

Most people go to one of the many Cox stores and just pick up a modem or set top and self install. Why spend more money to roll a truck just to install a trap and then have to roll it again to remove the trap, if that sub decides they want tv or a different individual moves into that location and wants tv.

I tried connecting my TV to the two cables coming up through my storage space. I tried scanning both, with no channels. A week or two later, I received a letter from Comcast saying I was trying to steal cable and to knock it off.

That's weird. Without a two way box, how did they know it was you?

That's weird. Without a two way box, how did they know it was you?

I had assumed it was because of whatever setup the have for my building. There's a box on the first floor of the building attached to my neighbor's storage space with all of the connections for our 36-unit building. All I did was the usual channel scan.

I can scan my comcast internet/cdv only line and pickup locals and some others just fine. Unless someone traced the line hooked to your unit, i dont see how you can be notified of that either, a tech probably was in and reported you.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Dylan Cox FST
i contacted cox about canceling the tv portion of my service and was red a script about adding a filter to the line within 10 dys. i suspect they would do so.

A technician is required to put a trap on the line that will block out anything below the MHZ range for data carriers if the customer has internet only service. If its not done you can get the analog tv channels. But cox has an audit team that will come through and make sure that the customers that required trapped lines are trapped. They rotate through areas anywhere for 3- 7 months depending on the area and its history of cable theft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts