Cox Media Group Removes Local Channels From DISH

Dish always says they are fighting for the customer, yet they raised their rates twice this year, is that fighting for the customer too?
TV locals want too much. There will be a time where the cost will no longer be worth it. Some streaming services do not carry locals. Dish/Direct may end up going the same way. That will push some subs back over to cable, but even cable is having the same issues. Why the FCC allowed locals to charge carriers is beyond me. It has done nothing but hurt the viewer while the corporations get more money. Yet OTA TV continues to be free.

DISH made the decision long ago that they are fine if a sub leaves during local channel disputes. They don't like it but they aren't going to back down and let these local channels hike the bill for everyone else. IF they agreed to their price demands that would be what would happen. But this is the way the local channels have been doing for as long as I can remember. They keep hiking their price with every contract negotiation. Thank God for ota antennas because you pay nothing for reception.
For those that are lucky to have OTA. But streaming is a click away from those who want locals. I think most of the big 4 are carried by several streaming companies.

No big deal lose a local CBS station , i never watch if any shows are available I already have Paramount +, and I don't watch local network news on that station.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Dish always says they are fighting for the customer, yet they raised their rates twice this year, is that fighting for the customer too?

Yes. If they had RSN'S and just paid what all the networks wanted those increases would be more. Over the last years they continously give decent deals to current customers, I have been getting their multi year contract discounts and grandfathered discounts for so long I pay less than what it would be for other tradional providers usually even their special or bundle deals.
And Dish is much more a reliable signal than cable or streaming.

I know Comcast is different... but seeing how they raised or will be raising the cost for their local channels about $7, and some markets are now going to be between $20 and $27 for just the locals, Dish is doing something to keep the locals package at $12. The only increase was from $10 to $12 a couple of years ago - we aren't seeing the yearly $5-$7 increase for just locals like Comcast had. I am sure that Dish is absorbing costs in other ways and the true cost in different markets is more than $12, but I have to appreciate Dish fighting to keep costs down as much as they can.
Comcaast just pays whatever the offered rate is.

The problem there is that since Comcast owns NBC, it naturally doesn;t want to see NBC pulled. And then when the other networks come with their offers similar to the NBC stations, Comcast pretty much has to cave there as well.

Hopefully DISH gets this resolved or DISHPromise means people will promise to leave DISH.
Why wouldn't you hope Cox resolves it since they are the ones attempting the extortion? However, if you really want to blame someone point your finger at the incompetent FCC for allowing this station hoarding mess in the first place.

It seems Cox is disputing Dish over the reason for the sudden removal of its channels. Cox claims they were perfectly OK with Dish keeping these channels up under the existing terms while negotiations continued, but Dish arbitrarily removed them. Who to believe.
Is there some advantage for Dish doing this?

Where does this end? My bill is now at $175. That is with Top 250 and locals ($125), 2 H3's and a Joey ($37). Thought I cancelled Dish Protect long ago, but just checked and it was still active. Just cancelled that so bill should go down to $164 until the new increase hits. No premiums and no movie pack and pushing $200 a month. OTA has become increasingly less reliable here due to channel moves. I have very little use for locals other than the news/weather, but do like to watch football. My wife does have several shows that she follows so there's that too. Dropping packages only nets you what, 10 bucks? Just have to grin and bear it for now I guess, but with the cost of everything else going up so much and, being retired, seeing the severe haircut my 401K has received, will have to start thinking about cutbacks on luxuries. We love Dish. My wife refuses to go anywhere else for TV. It is extremely reliable and the equipment easy to use. I still think Dish is trying to hold the line. Don't the content owners realize they're pricing us out? They must see the massive cord-cutting, no? I'm one of the few people I know who still has cable or satellite.

It seems Cox is disputing Dish over the reason for the sudden removal of its channels. Cox claims they were perfectly OK with Dish keeping these channels up under the existing terms while negotiations continued, but Dish arbitrarily removed them. Who to believe.
Is there some advantage for Dish doing this?
Could be I guess. Doesn't mean i agree but if true maybe DIsh feels Cox has more to lose than Dish. And if DISH knows there will be some increase if they come back paying nothing for awhile mitigates it some.
Judging from the DISH statement they are asking for such a big increase and on stations they don't yet own I believe Cox.

Could be I guess. Doesn't mean i agree but if true maybe DIsh feels Cox has more to lose than Dish. And if DISH knows there will be some increase if they come back paying nothing for awhile mitigates it some.
Judging from the DISH statement they are asking for such a big increase and on stations they don't yet own I believe Cox.
If this is the case, I can see why more and more subs are dropping satellite and cable. Going OTA if available or picking up a streaming service.

If this is the case, I can see why more and more subs are dropping satellite and cable. Going OTA if available or picking up a streaming service.
I did that myself last December when I cancelled my DISH account. I like Sling tv and have tried Youtube tv but I think I get more with Sling tv for less money.