Cox Media Group Removes Local Channels From DISH

How do you know they are delayed?
The easiest way is listen to the radio at the same time.

I have streaming now and I hate it . Sports are super delayed vs non streaming .
The days of turning the TV volume down and listening to the local radio for the game are over, and have been for a while.

What difference does it really make if it is 5-60 seconds behind "live"? I stream all sports now, doesn't bother me being 60 seconds "delayed".

Reactions: Bobby and raoul5788
I have an example where this happened to me. I tried YouTube TV back in Nov/Dec 2019 so I could watch the Bulls right after Dish dropped NBC Sports Chicago. The Bulls were at the Hornets, down by 5 points with 15ish seconds left in the game. Both teams were out of timeouts and that game finished with the Bulls hitting a 3, stealing the inbound, and hit another 3 to win the game. The Hornets player was shooting a free throw with 15 seconds to go, and I received the ESPN notification on my phone that the game was over and the Bulls won by 1. I thought it was a mistake since they were down by 5, but ignored it. Since the YouTube TV feed was about 30-45 seconds behind live, I then saw it play out. It was definitely an "are you kidding me moment" but at the same time didn't have the same feeling since I saw the result on my phone. I can definitely see streaming taking more of a foothold for sports in the future once the delay is next to nothing.

I can definitely see streaming taking more of a foothold for sports in the future once the delay is next to nothing.
I think it will be a LONG time before that happens. As I said earlier, when you're watching the LOCAL NEWS (as in originated at the studios and then broadcast), it's 4-5 seconds before you see it at home. A feed from a sporting event will get compressed at the site, uncompressed at the receiving site, processed there, recompressed and sent out to the "head end" (MVPD), recompressed there and sent back out. All of this takes time. That's why even when you're watching a broadcast event, you're looking at 10-15 seconds.

Will that time get cut down? Maybe. I think the emphasis is on better quality of the compression though. The better the compression, the more signals you can fit in the same bandwidth.

Welp, Boston and Jacksonville can get antenna TV service easy enough. I feel bad for folks in rural Eugene, Oregon who won't be able to watch the super bowl due to being blocked from receiving antenna signal.

Switch to a better provider yesterday.
Like Spectrum that just lost Disney, ESPN, and some locals, or DirecTV that's ALSO in another takedown?

Changing providers isn't the answer.

Back to Ota for anyone that doesn't want the drama. I gave up on locals back when I was still with DISH. I was using my own 4 tuner TABLO for my ota channels for prime time and the Hopper for news and daily ota shows. I haven't paid for my locals in years now.

For me it's spite, they got too greedy and the content the locals provide is poor, imo.

Back to Ota for anyone that doesn't want the drama. I gave up on locals back when I was still with DISH. I was using my own 4 tuner TABLO for my ota channels for prime time and the Hopper for news and daily ota shows. I haven't paid for my locals in years now.
In your Hopper do you have PTAT enabled? If so, does Auto Hop work?

Where I’m at OTA isn’t quite an option, so I subscribe to locals. But I only use locals for news and PBS. Anything these days on the big three (four?) is nothing junk/trash (sports excluded).