CPU coolers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Just thought I'd post my experience. I had the original Intel cooler that came with the CPU for years. But I was experiencing temps hitting 185 degrees and up. That's the highest I could set my CPU hi temp alarm. The frequent alarms were annoying. Cleaning the fins did no good. Could not really add another fan to blow across the fins. I broke down and bought a new CPU cooler. $30 on sale.

Brought my temps down at least 60 degrees. I've never seen it above 130 degrees since, and it's normally around 105. See the pics.

replacement CPU cooler.JPGorig Intel CPU cooler.JPG

The old CPU cooler sat atop the CPU blowing down on it. The 212 has a SOLID base that attaches to the CPU via a bracket attached to and thru the motherboard and branches up with copper pipes into the finned area, with the fan basically blowing 90 degrees above the CPU. Only drawback- I had to remove the motherboard to attach the thing. Some cases might have a large enough hole under the CPU to allow you to attach the supports without removing the board. Mine - not quite. And of course, you need a lot of head room above the board for it to fit. I have plenty, way more than enough. But if you have a small case, better measure first.

Wonderful investment. Wish I'd have done it long ago.

Nice Navy.I see and hear a lot about water cooling,somehow I'm not brave enough to put anything with water into any of my pcs.

Oh, this is dry. Just radiates thru the copper "heat pipes." Works quite well.

My case supports water cooling, but I'm with you on that score.

Whenever I build a PC I go aftermarket on the CPU cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking for this on Amazon, no go there. Your pictures show one square cooler on box, but round one on other picture. What Motherboard did you install it on?

From MicroCenter.

The round one was the original Intel cooler that came with the CPU. The square one is the much bigger new one.

ASUS Sabertooth X58. The 212 box lists which sockets it works with so I think if your socket is listed the motherboard will have the holes for mounting.

Case is a Cooler Master, not sure which exact model.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
Whenever I build a PC I go aftermarket on the CPU cooler.

I used to go that route but got lazy when the CPUs started coming with much larger coolers. Never again, I'll spend the bucks up front and not have to disassemble again.

I am using that exact same CPU cooler on my gaming PC. It's not liquid but it's cheap and it works great. I have a 6 core 3.5GHz AMD FX6300 overclocked up to 4.5GHz. The hyper 212 EVO keeps it nice and cool even with the extra heat that an overclock can create. My CPU idles between 8C and 12C. After a couple hours of gaming with setting maxed out it will be anywhere from 22C to 35C depending on the game. The highest temp I have ever seen with this setup is 51C. I hit that temp during 4 hours of prime95 stress testing to make sure my overclock was stable. This test keeps all of your cores at 100% load as long as you run it so 4 hours of this is not a real world scenario. If 1 or more of your cores start failing the prime number tests you know your overclock may need some adjusting to be stable.

This cooler seems to be plenty for me and it is a pretty affordable upgrade. This is just an air cooling system. I don't think the average person would need liquid cooling unless they are pushing their CPU even more than I am or they are working in a tight case with lots of components and limited airflow.

I'd hate to see how much wattage your PC uses!

I couldn't tell you. I put in a 650 Watt power supply to make sure I had plenty of headroom for my CPU, GPU, and extra case fans, and more powerful future upgrades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am using that exact same CPU cooler on my gaming PC. It's not liquid but it's cheap and it works great. I have a 6 core 3.5GHz AMD FX6300 overclocked up to 4.5GHz. The hyper 212 EVO keeps it nice and cool even with the extra heat that an overclock can create. My CPU idles between 8C and 12C. After a couple hours of gaming with setting maxed out it will be anywhere from 22C to 35C depending on the game. The highest temp I have ever seen with this setup is 51C. I hit that temp during 4 hours of prime95 stress testing to make sure my overclock was stable. This test keeps all of your cores at 100% load as long as you run it so 4 hours of this is not a real world scenario. If 1 or more of your cores start failing the prime number tests you know your overclock may need some adjusting to be stable.

This cooler seems to be plenty for me and it is a pretty affordable upgrade. This is just an air cooling system. I don't think the average person would need liquid cooling unless they are pushing their CPU even more than I am or they are working in a tight case with lots of components and limited airflow.
There is no way you temp is around 12C... Just think about, it cant be cooler than your room temperature, especially when you are cooling it with an air cooler. It needs to be at least 5 above your room temperature, and thats on very low power cpu. You using the wrong software to measure you temps! Hyper evo is definitely hell of a cooler for the buck, you cant go wrong with it, so it is a recommendation to the OP, check bestcpucoolers.com/best-air-cpu-cooler/

There is no way you temp is around 12C... Just think about, it cant be cooler than your room temperature, especially when you are cooling it with an air cooler. It needs to be at least 5 above your room temperature, and thats on very low power cpu. You using the wrong software to measure you temps! Hyper evo is definitely hell of a cooler for the buck, you cant go wrong with it, so it is a recommendation to the OP, check bestcpucoolers.com/best-air-cpu-cooler/

I'm sure you're right. I never checked the conversion before but that would be about 53F. I have been using a program recommended from the tomshardware computer forum called core temp to monitor my system. Looks like it isn't all that accurate.

Impressive looking, ain't it!

You did apply a thermal grease like artic silver when you attached the cooler, right?

I'm not sure which one of us you are talking to but the Hyper 212 EVO that me and Navychop both installed comes with a tube of thermal paste. I'm not sure on brand or kind but that is what I used when I installed mine.

I'm not sure which one of us you are talking to but the Hyper 212 EVO that me and Navychop both installed comes with a tube of thermal paste. I'm not sure on brand or kind but that is what I used when I installed mine.
It was directed towards Navychop but I'm glad that the thermal paste was included. I've had to tell several of my friends to take it apart and apply the thermal grease to get the best results. They just didn't know the importance of the thermal grease.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)