Craig Ferguson Quits CBS' Late Late Show

I bet he is pissed to be passed over for the Late Show. This might be CBS's late night screw up. Will he move to another network?

Edit: he says this was his decision to move on and not a feud with CBS. But I'm sure getting passed over for the Letterman gig didn't help. Unless they asked him first and he said no.

Last edited:
He has been the heir apparent for almosta decase and was pased over. It is likely that another chance will never come. He is likely financially secure so he can go back too stand up and makea good living. I really don't think thi id all that irrational on his part.

I bet he is pissed to be passed over for the Late Show. This might be CBS's late night screw up. Will he move to another network?

Edit: he says this was his decision to move on and not a feud with CBS. But I'm sure getting passed over for the Letterman gig didn't help. Unless they asked him first and he said no.

In his monologe tonight he said he didn't want it and after 10 years he figured it was time to move on. He also said that he has other projects with CBS and they are in good standing.

He has been the heir apparent for almosta decase and was pased over. It is likely that another chance will never come. He is likely financially secure so he can go back too stand up and makea good living. I really don't think thi id all that irrational on his part.

IDK He has a cult following. He is most defiantly one of the funniest guys on tv right now.

I'm a fan of Craig, but he would have to make a lot of changes to take over the earlier time slot and draw a big audience.
He hasn't been the heir apparent for many years.
Also, he is as bad an interviewer as Dave, and every show is the same.
I liked it back when he still tried (puppets, song, sidekick, etc)
Now he does the show in his sleep.
He's a really bright guy, and it shows when he tries.
I look forward to him doing something fresh, not a nightly show. :up

CBS is paying him an estimated $8-$10 million http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/craig-ferguson-to-leave-late-late-show-in-december-1201166165/

Ferguson’s decision comes less than a month after Letterman announced his intention to retire next year, and about two weeks after CBS tapped Stephen Colbert as his successor. Ferguson’s move was not a surprise given CBS’ decision to turn elsewhere for Letterman’s replacement. Ferguson’s last contract with CBS ensured him a windfall payout of an estimated $8 million-$10 million once the Eye opted against giving him “The Late Show” slot.

Maybe he decided he had enough money to retire on now.

CBS Focused On James Corden To Replace Craig Ferguson
Despite one late-night pundit’s crack that they’d be shocked if CBS went with another white male Brit to host its Late Late Show, it appears the network is angling to do just that. CBS has focused on James Corden to replace Craig Ferguson when Ferguson steps down at the end of the year, according to informed sources.

deadline.com

Here are several bits of vital information to better acquaint yourself with Corden, if you haven't already been formally introduced.

He is unavoidable in England
Corden's exposure in his homeland rivals that of any stateside late-night host. He's a regular on the talk circuit, graces magazine covers (GQ man of the year 2012), boasts multiple advertising deals (check out this viral Cadbury spot) and has had more starring roles in television series and films than can be easily tallied.

He's got a huge Twitter following
Do you know what's even more impressive than having 4.4 million Twitter followers? Having 4.4 million Twitter followers and completely neglecting them. Corden's social posse is commensurate with his fame, but he is cool enough to be a fair-weather tweeter. More power to him.

He's about to break out either way
After flirting with international fame for years, Cordon consummates that relationship come December when Into the Woods hits theaters. The long-awaited film treatment of Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine's iconic musical stars Corden as the Baker. Castmates include Emily Blunt, Chris Pine, Johnny Depp, Anna Kendrick and Meryl Streep. (You know, the usual suspects.)

hollywoodreporter.com

I'm surprised Corden would do this, even though he recently moved to LA for some other projects. He has his choice of gigs in the UK.. and probably soon more here. But as a fan of Ferguson and his kind of humour, I think he is a great choice. But it's not really a choice I thought CBS would go with to get bigger ratings. But maybe the show will be sold abroad (UK, Australia, etc ) as well which could help its revenue take a lot. But as I said, I'll be surprised if Corden does it.

I have to assume that Leno will be on with Letterman before his run ends next spring. Fallon this Friday, Ferguson to end his run. At some point Dave and Jay will do the big exit interview.