Crazy dogs in my back yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Last night my daughter came in screaming about two dogs in the back yard and her older friend following along in nearly the same hysterics. I head outside to find two pitbulls in the canal behind our house floundering to get out and my being torn between letting them follow natures course ( I hate pits so sorry to those who love them but their rep preceeds them ) and getting them out. One got out onto a sea wall but I thought was trapped as the section of the wall was engulfed in a thick briar patch and the other kept going under the short pier I was standing on. A neighbor came over and three of us got the one out but the other poofed then animal control showed up just as it reappeared two doors down in another back yard. The officers looked for the second dog but it went poof again and after 30 minutes they took the one and headed back to the pound.

Not fond of Pits. I'd have left them. Glad animal control removed at least one.

Or you can do like one lady did in this area.... she shot any dogs that came in her back yard. Sheriff couldn't do anything about it.

Or you can do like one lady did in this area.... she shot any dogs that came in her back yard. Sheriff couldn't do anything about it.

I don't agree with that. Killing solves nothing. A good BB gun works wonders!

Oh, I don't know. Capital punishment sure cuts down on repeat offenses.

But yes, shooting animals goes too far. A neighbor of mine moved away, and killed a cat (slowly) with a 2x4 before he left. In the security field. I wonder how well that would have gone over with his bosses if it could have been proved. He caused a lot of anguish for a poor woman- just because he didn't like the cat walking thru his yard.

I live within city limits so that whole " no shooting a weapon within city limits " thing comes into play even here in Virginia.

I am pretty kind hearted when it comes to animals (my two outside dogs were strays, and two of the best I have had), and would not kill a domesticated one unless it were necessary for safety for myself or my own animals. However when it comes to stray pits (or any larger dog) you can not be too careful. Good bird shot or a shotgun shell loaded with rock salt will generally get rid of any unwanted visitors, just aim for the rear end. In any case, I would not want them around.

While its not something you should do regularly, i have had occasion to get the gun out and get rid of a dog.
I have livestock and will do whatever is needed to protect them, including taking out the gun and offing a dog who doesnt want to leave them alone. Normally its possums and racoons and the odd coyote we have to deal with though not dogs, only once was it a dog.

What concerns me most is that the larger aggressive pt has not been located and there are literally a hundred kids within 3 blocks of my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)