Crazy new problem with DVR recording shows.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Well its not really the recording process that is a problem it is the playback of a recorded CBS show with the OTA tuner.

It will play the preview few minutes and as soon as the show starts, the playback is over. That is the timeline jumps to the end of the hour. The recording takes up the usual 6.5 Gb on the drive but I can't play it.

In addition, its crazy because it only affects shows from local CBS station. All shows from local ABC, NBC, and Fox, I have tested record and play fine. Also, FYI- I am recording true locals with the OTA tuner.

I plan to test the problem next by recording the CBS program twice, with the Dish Local channel and my OTA tuner to see if Dish version has the same problem. I did record and copied to an EHD from my other DVR but this was the Dish local version and it played fine when I moved that show to the troubled DVR with the EHD.

Ordinarily, I would suspect the DVR is failing but this is only affecting CBS station and no other. I set the next week of recording each show twice on CBS. Once with the OTA tuner and once with the Dish Local channel as in with the sat tuner. This problem began on January 1st. Shows recorded in December play back fine.

Yes, Gary. Half of that test shows that it's just the OTA signal. We already tested the same program recorded to another DVR but from Dish sat as that DVR has no OTA antenna connection. So far it's not the network, but the station. And I would like to say it's not the OTA tuner because the tuner records all the other local stations fine. It's rare this stuff has me stumped but this one is a head scratcher.

Also strange is when I bring up the time line bar with a FF key it will scan fast through the recording, showing that an hour program has 1:03 recorded, but as the show starts, the bar just skips to the end and I get "Playback Stopped" message. So, there is no way to skip past a bad spot in the recording either.

Housekeeping--

Just wanted to say the problem disappeared as mysteriously as it showed up for a couple weeks. Been working fine for about 10 days now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)