CRAZY PROBLEM with 322 receiver ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

shaner72

Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
illinois
My remote only works on my 322 receiver when I turn the TV off. This seems pretty strange to me. Everything was working fine. Then remote went from working sometimes to never. I found that when I turn the TV off I can pull up the guide and change channels - everything works fine. Obviously a little inconvenient to have to turn off the TV every time I want to change channels!
The only thing I can think of that was changed was this .... We had a power outage a couple days ago. Also, I accidently disconnected this receiver in the basement when I was trying to connect a second TV to a different receiver. I may have reconnected it correctly.

3.0 IR remote
322 Receiver
Sharp LCD 32" TV

I've read that several brands of LCDs put out quite a lot of IR that can overwhelm the signal from a remote. May we assume you're talking about the TV1 remote and an LCD display that's nearby your 322? Try isolating the receiver's IR sensor from spurious inputs, including a bounce from the TV off a nearby object.

Out of curiosity is the receiver facing the TV? If so, try to move the 322 so the light emitted from the TV does not drown-out the IR receiver.

OMG! You two were absolutely right. I origiginally had suspected as much and moved the receiver to the floor. (TV was on dresser about 4.5 up) I was able to pull up the guide at first but again the remote control function degraded. I'm now assuming the degradation(if that's a word) was due to the TV's gradual powering up to full power.

To fully test your theory I wrapped the LCD in a blanket and ...... waalaaa, a guide appeared along with full remote capability. But now the paradox. What had changed. As I mentioned, it had worked fine before !!????!!?!?!

Then, and epiphany. I recalled I had changed some TV picture settings in an attempt to sharpen the picture. ( Its an Sharp LCD 720 - walmart - but we'll save that convo for another forum. Its a bedroom tv anyhow).

I recalled I had changed a setting called OPC from 'off' to 'on'. before the meltdown. On a hunch I changed it back and the remote again worked fine.

It turns out the OPC had something to do with increasing the backlighting and was obviously the problem.

Thank you all for the help. I just canceled the dish net tech guy.

Shane

OMG! You two were absolutely right. I origiginally had suspected as much and moved the receiver to the floor. (TV was on dresser about 4.5 up) I was able to pull up the guide at first but again the remote control function degraded. I'm now assuming the degradation(if that's a word) was due to the TV's gradual powering up to full power.

To fully test your theory I wrapped the LCD in a blanket and ...... waalaaa, a guide appeared along with full remote capability. But now the paradox. What had changed. As I mentioned, it had worked fine before !!????!!?!?!

Then, and epiphany. I recalled I had changed some TV picture settings in an attempt to sharpen the picture. ( Its an Sharp LCD 720 - walmart - but we'll save that convo for another forum. Its a bedroom tv anyhow).

I recalled I had changed a setting called OPC from 'off' to 'on'. before the meltdown. On a hunch I changed it back and the remote again worked fine.

It turns out the OPC had something to do with increasing the backlighting and was obviously the problem.

Thank you all for the help. I just canceled the dish net tech guy.

Shane

Thanks for posting back. I'm having a similar issue with a 622 receiver. I changed the remote address yesterday and it worked until this morning that my wife wanted to watch TV. She called me saying that the remote doesn't work, again. I will check my settings on the TV since I just recently moved it to the bedroom, the receiver wasn't too close to the TV when it was downstairs.

When I got my Sharp Aquos years ago, I had the same problem. When the TV is on, there is too much IR noise for the Dish receiver to make out the IR remote signals.

The solution? Put 2 or 3 layers of ivory masking tape over the IR sensor window on the Dish receiver. This will mute the IR noise that the TV is putting out and make it easier for the receiver to differentiate the remote signals from the noise. Its ugly, but it works.

I checked the TV and backlight was set at 0 so that's not it. I just programmed an IR/UHF Pro remote that I had to control the receiver and it's working fine. First time I see this problem.

I'll try putting a tape on the sensor just to test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)