Credit Card Required For Dish Upgrade or Dish Mover's Promotion OR PAY FULL PRICE

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Otherwise you will have to pay the retailer full price at a cost determined by the retailer. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS. I emailed someone higher up at Dish Network about this. If you want a discount/free Dish Upgrade (whether it be Dish500 or SuperDish) or if you need a Dish Mover's performed when you move, then you will have to have a credit card. This was a marketing decision that they have made. I can see some churn as a result. Imagine someone wanting a SuperDish upgrade needing a few DishPro Adaptors. By the time they pay for the SuperDish ($200) Installation ($100+) and two DishPro Adaptors ($100-160) you are looking at a cost of $300-460 (plus sales tax putting it around $500). I do not know anyone out there that would be willing to pay this. They will switch to DirecTv or cable in a heartbeat and spread the word about how Dish Network does their customers if they do not have a credit card. DirecTv's dish is MUCH cheaper than this and I dont think DirecTv requires a credit card to upgrade either.

Those wanting to move will have to take their dish with them and pay someone as much as $100 or more (plus $ for each additional reciever) to get their system moved.

Actually, if you sign up for the protection plan ($6 a month I think), you only have to pay like $15 to do that move ;) $5 for the 2 months you have the plan, and then a $5 fee to get rid of it *nod*

I think it's called credit card auto pay. I had to use it on one of my up grades for the superdish and commit for one year. I didn't care for the one year commitment but what the heck. Got the superdish for nothing.

Stargazer said:
This was a marketing decision that they have made.
In my experience, a credit card is usually required for just about ANYTHING you want to rent/lease. I wouldn't be surprised if you needed one to obtain a rental card at your local Blockbuster Video. I can see how this would be a hardship for non-CC customers, but I imagine it has something to do with gaining minimal assurance that they'll get their gear back or be paid to replace it. DirectTV may be different because you actually buy their stuff, not lease it. When I made my sat provider decision, lease was a pro and buy was a con in the decision process. Without a CC my choice might well have been the exact opposite. For online purchases, you either take my CC or you lose my business (no PayPal from me). The CC provides some protection in the purchase, that I personally require. I see Dish's CC requirement as not really different than my personal one. I don't want to risk my money - I doubt they want to risk theirs either. This whole mess could be quite limiting for people who have said no to CC's (not a bad idea BTW - I wish I could do that!)

A debit card from your bank works just like a credit card, I doubt many potential customers don't have a checking account.

Stargazer said:
By the time they pay for the SuperDish ($200) Installation ($100+) and two DishPro Adaptors ($100-160) you are looking at a cost of $300-460 (plus sales tax putting it around $500). I do not know anyone out there that would be willing to pay this. They will switch to DirecTv or cable in a heartbeat and spread the word about how Dish Network does their customers if they do not have a credit card. DirecTv's dish is MUCH cheaper than this and I dont think DirecTv requires a credit card to upgrade either.

Those wanting to move will have to take their dish with them and pay someone as much as $100 or more (plus $ for each additional reciever) to get their system moved.

But look from Dish's point of view. If you buy a 2005 Monte Carlo, should GM upgrade you to the 2006 when it comes out???

And just try to get somethin' free from DirecTV.

And cable's not in the same ball park. Their equipment's bunk, that's why they're so willing to give it away for free.

I've heard it before somewhere......."only when it comes to satellite".

Your also not paying a monthly payment to GM like you are to the satellite service provider.

They have dropped the requirement since I have posted this for both the Dish Mover and the Dish upgrade.

Bing. Just because the equipment cable companies use "is janky" doesn't mean it's not worth money. FWIW you guys are forgetting that while the satellite providers have to pay for the receivers and the switches, LNBs, dishes, etc -- cable providers have a more complex infastructure. These guys have to do what the satellite providers do (all the way to maintaining broadcast distribution, though not necessarily to CUSTOMERS lol), and then add in the pain in the butt of running wire to every single one of their customers from their office.

I'm not trying to be an apologist but neither side is really to the point where having you "lease" their boxes as part of the service is considered charity. IMHO if the cable/sat companies are worried about lease theft they should simply require a deposit when you sign up for an expensive box.

Anyway, if the satellite company was worried about the cost of a new superdish and 2 wing dishes, they could probably just ask the customer if they could grab the ones off the current house and patch up the roof lol. Even if they don't do so, they have another customer (at the place their customer just moved from) who has a superdish and 2 wing dishes (just as an example) that they can try selling their service to!

Glad they got rid of the contract/credit card requirement :) When we move I was just going to ignore such ;)

I think it more of a security issue, if they have a credit card # that they are charging each month and you cancel they have something to charge you for the equiptment on. Only other possibility would be to pay for a full year in advance... they might go for that, but it seems a bit extreme.

They also have your credit information, I don't get why having a credit card makes a huge difference there when they have something a bit more powerful. Don't pay them and uh yeah, you won't be able to get loans anymore, lol.

OoTLink said:
They also have your credit information, I don't get why having a credit card makes a huge difference there when they have something a bit more powerful. Don't pay them and uh yeah, you won't be able to get loans anymore, lol.

Yeah, but they still wouldn't get their money.

OoTLink said:

Charging a credit card is MUCH simpler than going through the process of getting your money back through a retail credit service. That process takes a lot of paperwork, a lot of time, and can be very expensive (depending on the amount to be recovered, it can be prohibitively expensive). In the end, you may not get a dime back anyway. Usually, corporations will sell their bad debt accounts for a fraction of what they're worth. They irrevocably lose the difference. That doesn't even account for the varying laws of each state and municipality that may affect Echostar's ability to recover. That's why it's a backup plan and they would much prefer to use a credit card as the primary recovery method.

If someone's going to welch on dishnet though, chances are still good their credit card isn't going to be much good either ;)

OoTLink said:
If someone's going to welch on dishnet though, chances are still good their credit card isn't going to be much good either ;)

The credit card is going to be validated. If the validation is denied or otherwise fails, DISH is not going to allow it be used. Unless it's cancelled, it's going to be good (for at least some amount). That's the point of a credit card: immediate results. When you use a credit card, you aren't paying the merchant. Your credit card company is paying the merchant. You are paying the credit card company. As long as the transaction goes through, the merchant has been paid regardless of whether you pay the credit card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts