CSN-CA HD - Sharks Games

Trojan35

Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
So, basically all of Sharks home games are in HD and most of their road games. However, I think I've only gotten two games in HD this year. The primary reason for this is that the Sharks get bumped to an ALT channel when the Kings are on and often that channel doesn't have an HD feed.

Last week, they were bumped to an ALT with a HD feed, but still no HD feed came through (was in HD on DirecTV).

This weekend, they were on CSN-CA in HD all by themselves on DirecTV, but there was no HD feed for Dish users, only the non-HD feed.

Am I missing something? This change from last year is completely unacceptable, since 90% of the reason I have Dish is to get Sharks games in HD.

Yes tonight's should be in HD since there is no conflict with the Kings. Most of there road games are in SD unless it is in a nearby road game in LA, ANA, or in CHI, PHI, WSH (other teams that are Comcast Sportsnet affiliates as I think they use their HD facilities).

Yes tonight's should be in HD since there is no conflict with the Kings. Most of there road games are in SD unless it is in a nearby road game in LA, ANA, or in CHI, PHI, WSH (other teams that are Comcast Sportsnet affiliates as I think they use their HD facilities).

Exact same situation with the Warriors on CSN-BA-HD. Everything said above in the thread applies.

Are most of the games that are missing CSN-CA Plus games? I heard somewhere that Dish was having to run extra cable to bring these games in HD. I think I remember them saying it should be done by the end of the month, but that was in January?!?

Are most of the games that are missing CSN-CA Plus games? I heard somewhere that Dish was having to run extra cable to bring these games in HD. I think I remember them saying it should be done by the end of the month, but that was in January?!?

If you mean by missing in HD, yes the PLUS games are not in HD on Dish. The are up in the 450's and SD only.
I wish they had one designated channel number for the PLUS channels so I didn't have to always go fishing for them.

It wouldn't be so bad if the SD wasn't so unwatchable on the RSNs. I was watching the Cal @ Arizona game on Sunday and with four minutes left in the game CSNBA HD cut to an ACC game that was scheduled to show on the plus channel. Both HD feeds showed the same stupid game. With a minute left in the game I found that the game I had been watching was still on CSNBA SD, but the picture quality was AWFUL. Dish definitely needs to work out some RSN solution. The lack of HD is painful at times.

Yeah I agree with the RSN ALT channels being designated on one channel. Everytime the Hurricanes play, I have to go fishing for the game, since they are ALWAYS on an ALT channel.

I also wish they would launch 24/7 RSN channels, just for the simple fact that a SD game on a HD channel would help the picture quality a ton. I know it's wouldn't be HD but it would look a lot better then the unwatchable crap they have now.

And while they're at it, make the NHL (or NBA) packages have a HD channel for every game, even if it's not being broadcast in HD. All of this would make me a lot happier.

Yes, there is some indication that DISH is trying to do something regarding the conflict with the Sac. Kings and SJ Sharks games on Comcast Sports California. I hate to admit it, but the chances of the viewer getting to see the Sharks in the Bay Area on Comcast Sports Bay Arae were much greater than they are today on Comcast Sports California, at least in the case where DISH is your provider. Anyway, below is the reply I got from DISH after I gave them a bad time about the conflicts, as well as the black outs in error that occur occasionaly for those of that shouln't be blacked out when there was no conflict. The reply came to me on January 19th.

Jeff,

Comcast SportsNet California has recently changed the delivery method of their HD broadcasts of San Jose Sharks games on the days when there are conflicting HD broadcast of the Sacramento Kings from the network. Dish Network is currently working on system changes that will allow us to carry these HD broadcasts. The support for carriage of these additional games requires some changes in equipment and connectivity at our uplink facilities and we expect to have everything in place sometime by the end of this month. Once I hear anymore information I will let you know.

Thank you

Matt Kliewer
Executive Communications
DISH Network L.L.C

The end of the month has passed and the issues are still there, so I have since sent Matt a follow-up e-mail, which I'm still waiting on update from him. If and when I get that response, I will be happy to share it on this forum.

Finally, I agree, DISH needs to work towards 24/7 dedicated local sports channels sooner than later. It's long overdue.

Jeff

It would be great if they could reorganize the sports net channels so they could have a dedicated plus channel right next the the main channel, for example: 409 is CSNCA, 410 would be CSNCA Plus. That would bump whichever RSN is currently on 410 up to channel 411 and so on but in the long run it would be more customer friendly.

Yes, there is some indication that DISH is trying to do something regarding the conflict with the Sac. Kings and SJ Sharks games on Comcast Sports California. I hate to admit it, but the chances of the viewer getting to see the Sharks in the Bay Area on Comcast Sports Bay Arae were much greater than they are today on Comcast Sports California, at least in the case where DISH is your provider. Anyway, below is the reply I got from DISH after I gave them a bad time about the conflicts, as well as the black outs in error that occur occasionaly for those of that shouln't be blacked out when there was no conflict. The reply came to me on January 19th.

Jeff,

Comcast SportsNet California has recently changed the delivery method of their HD broadcasts of San Jose Sharks games on the days when there are conflicting HD broadcast of the Sacramento Kings from the network. Dish Network is currently working on system changes that will allow us to carry these HD broadcasts. The support for carriage of these additional games requires some changes in equipment and connectivity at our uplink facilities and we expect to have everything in place sometime by the end of this month. Once I hear anymore information I will let you know.

Thank you

Matt Kliewer
Executive Communications
DISH Network L.L.C

The end of the month has passed and the issues are still there, so I have since sent Matt a follow-up e-mail, which I'm still waiting on update from him. If and when I get that response, I will be happy to share it on this forum.

Finally, I agree, DISH needs to work towards 24/7 dedicated local sports channels sooner than later. It's long overdue.

Jeff

This is great news, thanks for sharing! I've never been able to talk to anyone with a clue at Dish.

Do my eyes deceive me? It appears that the problem has been resolved. I'm seeing that the Sharks-Devils game is going to be on channel 442HD (in Sacramento), which doesn't even have an SD counterpart, starting at 7PM. That means the pregame should be in HD as well, something we sometimes don't get even when it's on 409HD.

Last minute changes have happened before so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but this definitely looks like a good sign.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)