CSN - Philly?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You can blame this on Comcast as Comcast uses fiber optic cable to supply the signal to it's providers, and has been able due to this to not sell the channel to several companies. Dish lost litigation to force them to let them negotiate for the channel. I would not expect Dish to obtain at any time in the near future.

Indeed. Comcast has a setup that gets them around being required to offer the channel to satellitte companies, and so they don't offer it to them. Apparently they think it's worth more to them in subscribers who will stay with them for the channel than the money they'd get selling it to DirecTV and Dish. And they are probably right.

I know Charlie doesn't have the best reputation for his responsiveness in adding channels, but I guarantee you if this one was available to him he'd have had it up long ago. I don't know what the numbers look like, but it has to put satellitte at a significant disadvantage in the Philly region, especially now that they've agreed to let Verizon carry in on FiOS.

hahaha it's been a while since CSN-Philly had a thread.

I will die before it's ever on satellite!

F*** Comcast will be on my grave.

ahhh the old Prism and Sportschannel Philly days :)

Unlike most other cable networks, CSN Philadelphia is only distributed via microwave and fiber optics. The infrastructure Comcast uses for this was left over from the now defunct PRISM Network. Since CSN Philadelphia does not uplink its signal to any satellite, Comcast is able to avoid an FCC regulation that requires most television channels to be offered to direct broadcast satellite (DBS) companies. Lawyers for DirecTV and Dish Network have attempted to show that Comcast Corporation, who owns both CSN Philadelphia along with most of the cable systems in the Philadelphia market, is acting in restraint of trade because it does not uplink CSN Philadelphia to satellite. However, so far neither the FCC nor the federal courts have forced Comcast to make CSN Philadelphia available to the DBS services. Thus, DBS customers in the Philadelphia region do not get access to the network or any of the local teams' games. However, cable companies other than Comcast within the designated CSN Philadelphia market do have access to the channel. In December 2006, Comcast even made a deal to place CSN Philadelphia on Verizon's competing FiOS systems.[2] All of the other members of Comcast SportsNet are available to DBS subscribers, with the exception of CSN Northwest (however this is only because DirecTV and Dish Network have not been able to reach a carriage agreement with Comcast).

To make matters worse, when Time-Warner and Commiecast were staking their claims to Adelphia, the FCC got involved and made sure that the RSNs in those regions were available to everyone. Their decision included statements about RSNs in general, but mentioned CSN Phila specifically as exempt. If the FCC won't lean on them, Dish and Direct have no shot.

Having HD feeds of CSN and WPHL on MLB.TV and hooked to my LCD is just like having it on satellite. If I wanted Philly sports so badly I would have Comcast if I lived in-market.

I think comcast owns a couple sports teams in Philly anyway (Just to make the situation a little worse) On the bright side..Comcasts US senate "protector" has a good chance of getting bounced in the next election

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)