yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
CU officials considering athlete compensation

June 21, 2011 9:27 AM
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOULDER — Officials at the University of Colorado are considering raising compensation for athletes who say they don't get enough money to cover expenses.

NCAA President Mark Emmert says the association will consider a policy in August that allows schools to restrict how athletes are compensated for playing sports.

CU Regent Michael Carrigan says he thinks student-athlete benefits should be improved because the amount of time they spend in competition prevents them from otherwise holding jobs. Boulder campus Chancellor Phil DiStefano may attend the meeting.

At issue is whether athletes should be awarded more money to cover their entire cost of attendance, including transportation and expenses beyond tuition, fees, books and housing.

According to the Boulder Daily Camera, the extra financial aid at CU would amount to roughly $3,000 to $4,000.

___

Information from: Daily Camera, Boulder DailyCamera.com: Colorado, News, Business, Sports, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information - Boulder Daily Camera

yaz96 said:
CU officials considering athlete compensation

June 21, 2011 9:27 AM
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BOULDER — Officials at the University of Colorado are considering raising compensation for athletes who say they don't get enough money to cover expenses.

NCAA President Mark Emmert says the association will consider a policy in August that allows schools to restrict how athletes are compensated for playing sports.

CU Regent Michael Carrigan says he thinks student-athlete benefits should be improved because the amount of time they spend in competition prevents them from otherwise holding jobs. Boulder campus Chancellor Phil DiStefano may attend the meeting.

At issue is whether athletes should be awarded more money to cover their entire cost of attendance, including transportation and expenses beyond tuition, fees, books and housing.

According to the Boulder Daily Camera, the extra financial aid at CU would amount to roughly $3,000 to $4,000.

___

Information from: Daily Camera, Boulder DailyCamera.com: Colorado, News, Business, Sports, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information - Boulder Daily Camera

Wow...someone actually openning the door to consider it. Good find Yaz and good for CU to have the cojones to bring up the subject.

They'll have to leave the NCAA in order to do that, as the NCAA will never allow it (especially since it would mean all athletic scholarship students will have to get the same pay, including non-revenue sports, due to federal law). And most schools do not want to get into a bidding war in "paying" for the players services. There is no way most of Division 1A (much less, 1AA, II, III) will allow such a measure to pass.

btw, here's the link to the actual article:
http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-news/ci_18319341

They'll have to leave the NCAA in order to do that, as the NCAA will never allow it (especially since it would mean all athletic scholarship students will have to get the same pay, including non-revenue sports, due to federal law). And most schools do not want to get into a bidding war in "paying" for the players services. There is no way most of Division 1A (much less, 1AA, II, III) will allow such a measure to pass.

btw, here's the link to the actual article:
CU-Boulder to enter student-athlete 'pay for play' debate - Boulder Daily Camera

I agree, but no one would even open it up for conversation...at least someone finally did.

If you're for this, and I won't say that I am *absolutely* against it, how much per month do you think each athlete should receive?

I went to Texas A&M from 1990 to 1994. My parents paid for tuition, meal plan, and books. They did not want me to work as I majored in Meteorology, and that was a very tough program. My mom gave me $50 per month for spending money. I did have a car that my grandparents bought for me, and my parents paid the insurance. I paid for gas.

I spent my first two years at A&M in a non-air dorm. The first day of classes, it was 104F. I learned to sleep with a fan pointed directly at my head. My parents loved the setup as the cost of my dorm was $384 per semester. One of the benefits of living in a non-air dorm (ok, really the only benefit) was that we all had to keep our doors open for air flow. I knew almost everyone in my dorm.

I had a blast those first two years. Almost all of the guys in my dorm were there because they didn't have money to pay for something nicer. None of us went to movies. We rented movies and usually piled into my room to watch them on my roommate's 13" TV. None of us went out to eat. We all had meal plans. Our dorm even had an unofficially reserved table in the dining hall, so you almost always wound up eating with a friend. When we wanted to splurge, we would buy Keystone Light at $9.99 per case and order 12" Gumbys cheese pizzas for $3.89. We would usually tip in beer.

My roommate (I had the same one all four years at A&M) talked me into moving into an air-conditioned dorm my junior year. It was fine, but I never enjoyed it as much as I did those first two years.

What I am getting at is that this current generation of college kids has a massive sense of entitlement. There is nothing wrong with being a poor college kid. It's a phase in life. Enjoy it, and you will have great memories.

I would support this plan if they limit the new money to kids who aren't claimed by someone with a household income over a certain amount and limit it to transportation and a small amount of spending cash.

One more question. My favorite sport is college baseball. A travel roster is 27 kids sharing 11.7 scholarships. Would a kid on 1/4 scholarship receive 25% of this benefit? This kid is still 100% barred from working during the season.

Excelent post. College involves sacrifice. Particularly a hard science and even more particularly a health profession, and especially so attending in the traditonal manner (directly after HS or military service, on-campus in a dorm at a traditional school). Family sacrifice, personal sacrifice. In fact, as I get older, I find that as an employer, the maturity and drive to make that sacrifice is more valuable than the actual learning or degree.

I am sick and tired of hearing about the supposed "exploited" college athlete.

I am sick and tired of hearing about the supposed "exploited" college athlete.
Especially when they're getting 3 squares and a bed for free. Those were my biggest expenses in school.

Not everyone has a car and xbox (was Sega Genesis back in my day) in school (biggest non-room/food expense), whether they be athelete or not.

If you're for this, and I won't say that I am *absolutely* against it, how much per month do you think each athlete should receive?

I went to Texas A&M from 1990 to 1994. My parents paid for tuition, meal plan, and books. They did not want me to work as I majored in Meteorology, and that was a very tough program. My mom gave me $50 per month for spending money. I did have a car that my grandparents bought for me, and my parents paid the insurance. I paid for gas.

I spent my first two years at A&M in a non-air dorm. The first day of classes, it was 104F. I learned to sleep with a fan pointed directly at my head. My parents loved the setup as the cost of my dorm was $384 per semester. One of the benefits of living in a non-air dorm (ok, really the only benefit) was that we all had to keep our doors open for air flow. I knew almost everyone in my dorm.

I had a blast those first two years. Almost all of the guys in my dorm were there because they didn't have money to pay for something nicer. None of us went to movies. We rented movies and usually piled into my room to watch them on my roommate's 13" TV. None of us went out to eat. We all had meal plans. Our dorm even had an unofficially reserved table in the dining hall, so you almost always wound up eating with a friend. When we wanted to splurge, we would buy Keystone Light at $9.99 per case and order 12" Gumbys cheese pizzas for $3.89. We would usually tip in beer.

My roommate (I had the same one all four years at A&M) talked me into moving into an air-conditioned dorm my junior year. It was fine, but I never enjoyed it as much as I did those first two years.

What I am getting at is that this current generation of college kids has a massive sense of entitlement. There is nothing wrong with being a poor college kid. It's a phase in life. Enjoy it, and you will have great memories.

I would support this plan if they limit the new money to kids who aren't claimed by someone with a household income over a certain amount and limit it to transportation and a small amount of spending cash.

One more question. My favorite sport is college baseball. A travel roster is 27 kids sharing 11.7 scholarships. Would a kid on 1/4 scholarship receive 25% of this benefit? This kid is still 100% barred from working during the season.

As a former college baseball player that was on a full ride. I am not sure of the amount that can be placed "aside" as of yet. But while I played, I was not allowed to have a part time at no point. I came from a VERY poor background and a few occassions, I needed to come home due to a family emergency and I had NO MONEY to do that. I lived in upstate NY and it was not an easy plane ride. IF it weren't for some family friends, I would not be able to get home.

A full ride back then was books, tuition and room and board. Yeah that SHOULD cover everything, but it did not. It do not cover for laundry, did not cover for having gas money and definately did not cover for going home. The average student that has a full academic ride only has to perform in one place, in the class room. The full athletic ride has to do it in two places. AND if he is a big name athlete, it's three places...on the field, in the classroom and infront of a camera. Yeah college involves sacrifice...and if you do not think someone on a athletic scholarship does, you have NO CLUE what you are talking about.

I have lived the life of a student athlete...and it is ALOT more difficult that people make it out to be.

Especially when they're getting 3 squares and a bed for free. Those were my biggest expenses in school.

Not everyone has a car and xbox (was Sega Genesis back in my day) in school (biggest non-room/food expense), whether they be athelete or not.

I feel the same, and salsa and I have had this discussion before.
Free place to sleep, meals, education, and a chance to play a game that you love? Many would love to have that problem.

Im not saying in some cases it is not tough, Salsa has pointed out some of the difficulties, but your average student may have the same money problems and NOT be getting the free education that some poorer athletes are. They may be working part time, but if that money goes to cover what the scholarship students are getting to play, should we give them extra spending money too?

I feel the same, and salsa and I have had this discussion before.
Free place to sleep, meals, education, and a chance to play a game that you love? Many would love to have that problem.

Im not saying in some cases it is not tough, Salsa has pointed out some of the difficulties, but your average student may have the same money problems and NOT be getting the free education that some poorer athletes are. They may be working part time, but if that money goes to cover what the scholarship students are getting to play, should we give them extra spending money too?

Then let them have part time jobs and put the pressure on the university to watch these kids 24/7. They(the university) put too much pressure on the teams(coaches), especially the football teams with 55+ man rosters, to watch these kids 24/7. Have the university use some of that bowl/TV money and hire people to play spy. Tell these kids IN ADVANCE that they will be watched all of the time.

Most are, in the form of a free education. :)
And food as well.

Gas and car money, sorry, but neither of those are required for school, freshmen weren't even allowed to have cars on campus at Ga Tech. So I have no sympathy there. As for getting home during that holidays, lots of non-scholarship students are in the same boat, so again no sympathy. Should have thought of that before going to a school hundreds/thousands of miles from home.

As for getting home for a family emergency, there is the NCAA Special Assistance Fund.
NCAA Special Assistance Fund
1. Medical and dental costs not covered by another insurance program (e.g. hearing aids, contact lenses, glasses, off-campus psychological counseling);

2. Costs associated with student or family emergencies;

3. Costs of expendable academic course supplies (e.g. notebook, pens) and rental of non-expendable supplies (e.g. computer equipment and cameras) that are required for all students enrolled in a course;

4. Cost of clothing and other essential expenses.

And food as well.

Gas and car money, sorry, but neither of those are required for school, freshmen weren't even allowed to have cars on campus at Ga Tech. So I have no sympathy there. As for getting home during that holidays, lots of non-scholarship students are in the same boat, so again no sympathy. Should have thought of that before going to a school hundreds/thousands of miles from home.

That has been one of my points as well. Unless you are going to start giving the entire student body "spending money", they need to leave this alone.

That has been one of my points as well. Unless you are going to start giving the entire student body "spending money", they need to leave this alone.

Again, the entire student body does not have the, and I do not know if this is the right word, the responsibility, to HAVE to perform in 2 areas, school work and athletics. UNLESS you have been in that spot coming from extremely poor families like I did, you have no clue how tough that is.

But plenty of the student body knows what it's like to subsist on ramen noodles, because they have to pinch pennies for food, since they don't get 3 meals served by the athletic association.

Since the scholarship athletes are being fed and have their schooling paid for, what needs for money are there? I've already covered the NCAA Special Assitance Fund for true hardships.

Again, the entire student body does not have the, and I do not know if this is the right word, the responsibility, to HAVE to perform in 2 areas, school work and athletics. UNLESS you have been in that spot coming from extremely poor families like I did, you have no clue how tough that is.

Be honest. Not all athletes have the responsibility to perform in the classroom. I wasnt one in college, but I was in high school and had several college classes with football players. If you were good, in some (not all) cases, simply showing up was the extent of that hard work. You would pass. Hell we had a guy that went to our local high school, and just finished his playing career at Ole Miss (on the way to the NFL) that went into college and couldnt even read. This was recent, so I am sure most of our sports fans here know of Jerrell Powe.

Not to mention that some of the "normal" students may also have responsibilities beyond classroom performance as well. They may come from an equally poor family, have to work full time to pay their own way, and be no better off, or worse when it comes to spending money.

Life isnt fair, sometimes hard. Getting a free $100,000+ education (in some cases) is compensation enough IMHO.

I would never give up my "poor" years. In high school I had to work if I wanted a car and the latest clothes. Graduating high school in 1961 I didn't go to college but out to work for a buck an hour. On $32 take home I had an apartment, a car and a occasional date, usually after which I ate Bologna on white till payday. They where most educational and enlightening years.I met life long friends during those few years that still appreciat the later successes we achieved. Never taking anything for granted nor feeling we where owed anything but the freedom to fail.. I met my business partner of 40 years during those poor years..I worship this country for the opportunities it put before me that I never saw in any other country I worked in or visited.

I don't think these kids should be deprived of that opportunity to be creative and make do or better with what they have.. It will make them better people with a character not generally found in the entitlement class. They already are getting far more in "compensation" and feel entitled for their "talent" than they should. I even question if schools should even offer compensation like scholarships etc.as it is for sports. Just because the "team" is good doesn't make the school any better. Most of the money brought in by sports go right back into the program.

I remember Salsa saying once he got hurt and lost his scholarship. Had he not been dependent on the scholarship he might have gone to a more affordable school and finished with a degree with the rest of the poor kids..Then too maybe great schools wouldn't need to charge a $120,000 a year to support their athletic programs either.,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)