Cubs returning to WGN with new TV deal

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
The Cubs are on the verge of returning to WGN with a new local TV deal.
Industry sources expected the Cubs to make the long-awaited announcement – maybe as soon as this week – and finalize their broadcasting plans for the 2015 season.WGN America already pulled the plug on the Cubs superstation, deciding to focus on original programming and transition away from Chicago sports broadcasting. That platform had helped turn the Cubs into a national brand and make Wrigley Field a tourist destination.
The Cubs had opted out of their deal with WGN, trying to sync up their staggered TV contracts with an eye on 2020, when Comcast SportsNet Chicago will no longer have exclusive cable rights.The Cubs unveiled a new partnership with WLS-Channel 7 last month. The local ABC affiliate will air 25 games per season through 2019.WGN is believed to be in position to add about 45 games to its schedule this season, presumably working off the same through-2019 template.WSCR-AM 670 first reported the news on Tuesday. That Chicago outlet is part of the CBS family that will begin broadcasting Cubs games this year, with WBBM-AM 780 becoming the new flagship station. The move ended a relationship with WGN Radio that started in the 1920s.The media portfolio has been a major priority for chairman Tom Ricketts and president of business operations Crane Kenney. It means more to the franchise’s bottom line than the $600 million Wrigleyville development.President of baseball operations Theo Epstein has consistently pointed to the 2020 opportunity, calling the TV megadeal “the magic bullet, the paradigm-shifter that’s going to put us in a whole new level” and give the Cubs a big-market payroll again.
TV money has fueled the huge spending sprees in free agency, turning Major League Baseball into a roughly $9 billion industry. But this won’t necessarily be a slam-dunk decision for the Cubs.There have been the franchise’s complicated business ties, from the ownership stake in CSN Chicago to the breakup of Tribune Co. into broadcasting and publishing assets.There will be much larger forces at work, seeing if more consumers cut the cable cord, wondering about the business model shifting toward a la carte and waiting to see how Congress might get involved.Between the emergence of Netflix and other streaming services – and questions about a sports-rights bubble – no one knows exactly what the TV landscape will look like a few years from now.But you can catch the Cubs on WGN in 2015 (at least in the Chicago area). http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/cubs-returning-wgn-new-tv-deal?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo <Video of it in either link> <iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/VHZQDC/chicago/embed/feed/Cubs/select/N8KxZ0AsE9P3?params=zone%3Dya5nbcs&autoPlay=true&playAll=true" width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Reactions: w6pea
That does suck. I wonder if MLB had anything to do with this? After all, why let fans watch Cubs games for free on WGN America when you can force them to pay $$$ for MLB Extra Innings?

Reactions: w6pea
That does suck. I wonder if MLB had anything to do with this? After all, why let fans watch Cubs games for free on WGN America when you can force them to pay $$$ for MLB Extra Innings?

I don't think it was MLB, I think it was actually more of a WGN thing. WGN America will no longer be showing Chicago sports (or news), including Bulls, White Sox, or Cubs games anymore since they are moving away from a Superstation and towards a national cable network. (I don't know what that means - a superstation vs a national cable network - to me they seem like they are the same thing). If it were just the White Sox and Cubs pulled off but the Bulls were still on, then I could see it being a MLB thing.

This is the final end of the stupidity that only something as poorly run as MLB could have. For a generation it was easier to watch the Braves and Cubs, and at other times some other teams like the Giants, White Sox, and Mets, than your local team.

The first day Ted put up a Braves game on WTCG, they should have pulled the plug. There is no logic to one team being on nationally under different rules than everybody else. The damage that this did to the smaller market regional franchises still continues.

Looks like the bleachers will not be ready for opening day after they tore them down to do a reconstruction.

Sent from Note 3

Bottom Line is the all mighty dollar.
It really sucks. I don't like paying for Fox Sports on AT&T U-Verse and then when you try to tune to a game on Fox Sports West it's Blacked out in San Diego. Thanks to Fox Sports San Diego. I would rather watch the L.A. Dodgers or the Angeles or S.F Giants than watch the San Diego Padres any time.

Even if you get Extra Innings, if you are in the Cubs market area, such as we are in Des Moines, the games will be blacked out. So unless you have the proper satellite package (Mediacom cable doesn't offer Comcast Chicago -- or any Comcast network), you see no Cubs games. And this in the city that hosts the Cubs' Triple-A affiliate. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it? :wtf2

When I saw the title of this thread, I was thinking Great !
I can catch the Cubs again, I use to watch them on WGN, now I can again .... WRONG ...

How stupid this is ....

Reactions: fhsucade07

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts