Curiosity leads to stupid ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ricks

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 6, 2004
Now that I have your attention....

Picked up a Silver Sensor today in anticipation of a Monday install. Embroiled in a fight with the condo commandos over erecting a very modest outdoor mast and antenna. (I will win that fight - FCC is on my side). In the meantime, thought I'd see what the SS can do. I don't have a digital receiver right now. I can pick up all of my local analog stations with the SS. They broadcast their HD signal from the same tower area. Does this mean I should also get the HD signal - or isn't there any relationship between the ability to receive analog vs the ability to receive the HD signal? :rolleyes:

Yeah. I have all of that. All UHF except one VHF. All at the same tower group except one that is 170 degrees opposite. I just wondered if there was any relationship between the ability to receive the analog signal since the HD transmissions come from the same locations. The analogs present more of a VHF/UHF mixture than the HD transmissions. I can wait 'till Monday to find out - just was curious if there was a pat answer.

No correlation. Been there done that. Had a Silver Sensor and in SD best local (Atlanta) I could get was TBS 17. Got the new TV set with the HD tuner and the best station with the Silver Sensor I could get was Fox 5 (UHF 27). Now, even with the Stealth, TBS 17HD is on the fringe.

Slick is right...VHF and UHF are two completely different beasts. UHF is a "line-of-sight" spectrum, so is highly directional, much more so than VHF.

Lob

There is no corrolation. Infact your odds of good digital reception are probably better with a UHF only antenna, if you dont have any on the VHF band.

t77054 said:
And you know the SS is UHF only.

I understand that is the basic design. Extensive reading also indicates that many people are able to receive at least some VHF. Which brings up another question, or maybe just a comment. Playing with the analog stations, it did pick up one VHF station quite well, and wasn't so hot on another. It's just a short-term option anyway, until I get done educating the condo commandos around here. By the time I get done, they'll probably string me up on whatever antenna I finally erect. :yes

I don't think the odds are any better. It's just that if you buy a "regular" antenna, you're paying for stuff you don't need. If you look at most TV antennas, they have a VHF section and a UHF section. In the case of the RatShack antenna, if you buy the whole sheebang, it's about $99. If you buy the UHF 26-1520, which is the same exact UHF portion of the $99 model, it runs you about $22. So for UHF purposes, why pay the other $77? And if networks aren't broadcasting DIGITAL on VHF in your area, why would you ever worry about getting VHF channels? The UHF/Digital broadcast is the same programming, and MUCH higher quality.

Lob

This may be covered somewhere else, but is there a way to combine two antenna's. My NBC & PBS local digitals are VHF, everything else is UHF. My RCA ANT200 UHF/VHF does great for most of my UHFs, and both of my VHFs. But 2 of my UHFs are a bit spotty. Can I somehow combine the RCA and the silver senser into one line going to the STB?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)