Current Customer wants HR34

Status
Please reply by conversation.
pro96 said:
I was offered the 34 for $99 with new 2yr contract as mine is ending in a few weeks. I asked if I can get 2 and he said yes.. 99 each. Might consider the offer.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I would have got his ID and name! directv has told us that only 1 per house/account until further notice

Chuck W said:
As a longtime sub, I decided to try last week, to get one. My commit wasn't up till August, so my ammo was limited.

First call was to a CSR and no go on any discounts. Second call I went the cancel route to retentions. After haggling with the guy and reminding him of how long I had been with Directv(since 1999), he said he could only knock off $100 down to $299. I told him that still wasn't very good. After a brief hold, he came back and said he could also add $25 account credit for 6 months. I said that would work but how much would installation be? He said $49 and I said again that would push it out of my range. He again put me on hold for about 5 minutes this time and when he came back, he said the install would be free.

So while I had to cough up $299 up front, with the programming credits, ultimately the price was $149. I could live with that.

It was installed this past Monday. It included a new LNB, SWiM setup and DECA MRV since I had been running it through my network and had 2 lines to every receiver.

I also got lucky when the installer mistakenly thought my HR20-100 would not work with this MRV. He replaced it with an HR24. :)

I never use 20's on anything, I hate them and can't stand them! I had a service call with MRV issues. They had 2 HR20's and 3 H23's and when I left they had 2 HR24's and 3 H25's. Can't stand the old receivers and waiting for them to respond so I swapped everything and wouldn't you know it all came back up lol. Oh and added a BB deca and a new LNB lol

Hutch1814 said:
I never use 20's on anything, I hate them and can't stand them! I had a service call with MRV issues. They had 2 HR20's and 3 H23's and when I left they had 2 HR24's and 3 H25's. Can't stand the old receivers and waiting for them to respond so I swapped everything and wouldn't you know it all came back up lol. Oh and added a BB deca and a new LNB lol

I wish I got you as an installer. I tried to get him to swap out my last HR20 as well, a 700 but he wouldn't do it saying that the 700s work ok with MRV and there was no need.

*** Edited to "correct" my phone's autocorrect that put NEC in place of MRV.

Last edited:
Chuck, sounds like a deal you can live with at $150, not bad. Nice that they swapped the HR20 to HR24, that makes a big difference too.

Chuck W said:
I wish I got you as an installer. I tried to get him to swap out my last HR20 as well, a 700 but he wouldn't do it saying that the 700s work ok with NEC and there was no need.

D-11's, R-15's, H20's, and HR20's don't stand a chance with me lol if I see them I swap them everytime! I hate dealing with them and personally think they are the higher risk boxes to go bad. And most people normally (like you) want them swapped out for newer boxes anyways. You're paying a monthly fee for the service why not make sure you have the newest? Lol

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Hey fellas, you all inspired me to give a try at the HR34. Initially I called the regular customer support but he hardly had a clue what it was. I asked him to transfer me to someone who did. After he did I talked with that individual for a while and after small talk and "checking for promotional" offers, she told me "there aren't any, it would be $399". Undeterred, I thought for a bit of what I was going to say, came here for advice, (much ablige) and called back saying how, " I was curious to see how much (even though I knew) it would be per month to cancel my contract" she said "oh, no! Why would you yadda yadda...." I told her how I called Comcast to renegotiate my broadband connection and they started offering me really good deals and wanted to compare what would be better for me (none of which was true). Then I said, "another thing that u guys really let me down on was that a buddy of mine JUST signed up with you guys and got this awesome new cable box that's bigger and records 5 new shows at once(this is also fiction). Then I called you guys and you want me to pay $399 for the same thing and I've been with you guys for a year now. I m really let down." She then said she couldn't do anything but try back in a couple of months, then I reminded her I'm thinking of canceling right now and "could you please transfer me to the cancellation department." Once she did, I told this person (who no doubt has more latitude) the same sob story and how I wanted to cancel. After she "looked what she could do for me" she ended up giving me the HR34 for no cost other than the $49.99 dollar installation. I would have relented at $150. So, I thought Id share with you guys so you may have the same luck with the same line I gave. Best of luck![/FONT]

Dingchingger said:
Hey fellas, you all inspired me to give a try at the HR34. Initially I called the regular customer support but he hardly had a clue what it was. I asked him to transfer me to someone who did. After he did I talked with that individual for a while and after small talk and "checking for promotional" offers, she told me "there aren't any, it would be $399". Undeterred, I thought for a bit of what I was going to say, came here for advice, (much ablige) and called back saying how, " I was curious to see how much (even though I knew) it would be per month to cancel my contract" she said "oh, no! Why would you yadda yadda...." I told her how I called Comcast to renegotiate my broadband connection and they started offering me really good deals and wanted to compare what would be better for me (none of which was true). Then I said, "another thing that u guys really let me down on was that a buddy of mine JUST signed up with you guys and got this awesome new cable box that's bigger and records 5 new shows at once(this is also fiction). Then I called you guys and you want me to pay $399 for the same thing and I've been with you guys for a year now. I m really let down." She then said she couldn't do anything but try back in a couple of months, then I reminded her I'm thinking of canceling right now and "could you please transfer me to the cancellation department." Once she did, I told this person (who no doubt has more latitude) the same sob story and how I wanted to cancel. After she "looked what she could do for me" she ended up giving me the HR34 for no cost other than the $49.99 dollar installation. I would have relented at $150. So, I thought Id share with you guys so you may have the same luck with the same line I gave. Best of luck!

It's a shame companies like DirecTV have policies that encourage good customers to blatantly lie whether it be to obtain newer equipment or even the channels they need (ie "moving").

Likewise it doesnt say much for our society when so many people are willing to lie without a second thought or a bit of remorse in order to get what they want. I'm not perfect and confess I have not always been 100% honest when dealing with CSRs but it doesnt make it right. I'm not singling anyone out - just sayin it's a shame.

You know, I'm torn. I'd really like to get down to one HR-34 DVR and have only one location to worry about setting programs on. However, I also agree with the last poster and don't think I should have to "lie" to get them to work with me. I just wish they'd make the existing customers a decent deal on the new equipment. In my case, they'd get two HR-24's to send back out to two new customers, and I'd fix my remaining "pains" with DirecTV's system. They're not enough for me to leave, but I'll definitely have to reassess when my contract is up in about 9 months if something doesn't change...

Unless you want to get rid of the receivers completely I would keep the DVRs since they don't cost you anymore money than a regular receiver.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

You know, I'm torn. I'd really like to get down to one HR-34 DVR and have only one location to worry about setting programs on. However, I also agree with the last poster and don't think I should have to "lie" to get them to work with me. I just wish they'd make the existing customers a decent deal on the new equipment. In my case, they'd get two HR-24's to send back out to two new customers, and I'd fix my remaining "pains" with DirecTV's system. They're not enough for me to leave, but I'll definitely have to reassess when my contract is up in about 9 months if something doesn't change...

I'd wait til they iron out some more kinks in the HR34.... it ain't done baking yet...

Bollocks! You called me out! lol...."not always been 100%" <-----to may that's no different than what I did, or what they do/did when I initially called. This is my opinion and I'm stickin to it lol. I respect your feelings though, regardless whether I agree or not. I do however, agree that its a shame, just in a slightly different way. :) btw, Thank you for this forum! Great stuff! P.S. They locked me in for 2 more years. That's a guaranteed $480.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts