Cursed TV Markets

mvcg66b3r

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I put this thread on some other boards,but I wanted to get you reaction on this board as well.

With all this talk of cursedfrequencies, what about cursed TV markets?

For example, mid-sized markets whichhave to stand in the shadows of much-larger adjacent markets.

Baltimore ? Washington
Providence ? Boston
Baton Rouge ? New Orleans
Toledo ? Detroit
San Diego ? Los Angeles

Baltimore has the Big 4, CW, MNT andPBS, but no ION or Univision. This market has had its share ofnetwork musical chairs.

In Baton Rouge, the Big 4 networks andPBS are full-power, while The CW and MyNetworkTV are low-power.

Toledo has the Big 4, PBS and areligious independent. The CW is cable-only, while MNT is low-power.

Grand Rapids has two separately-ownedABC affiliates, each of which covers part of the market. MNT is on agroup of low-power stations, while CW is on a CBS subchannel. The IONstation (which aired WB programming for a while) also serves Lansing.

The only full-power stations licensedto San Diego are the Big 4, a PBS station and an independent. The CW,MNT and Telemundo (!) come from Mexico, while Univision is low-power.

El Paso lost both its UPN and WBaffiliates to Spanish networks. And its CBS station almost got soldto Azteca America.

In Reno, CW is on a subchannel of theUnivision station.

Many markets that were cursed hadbecome “uncursed” recently, like Austin, where a KXAN satellitebecame a brand new MyNetworkTV station, and a WB affiliate in Wacomoved in to bring Univision programming to Texas’ capital (althoughstill licensed to Killeen in the Waco DMA).

Of course, markets can be cursed forother reasons, such as not clearing popular network or syndicatedprograms (or airing them in odd hours); or local news on only twostations in a market with four or more.

Which TV markets do you think arecursed?

I agree with Don. It wasn't until recently (10 years) that we even got a local CBS station, and it's really just a satellite sister station to Channel 3 out of Hartford I think they felt bad for us.....

I think one of the worst TV markets would be the so-called "tri-cities" market in mid-Michigan (Flint-Saginaw-Bay city) where altogether, you get the big four + PBS and CW and MY on a subchannel but the stations are so far apart that you can never get them all at once. (ABC, FOX and PBS are in Flint while CBS, NBC, CW and MY are in Saginaw/Bay City which are 50 miles further north than Flint.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)