CW might leave Tribune owned stations in August

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Its been noted in the news that CW and Tribune stations have had a little argument about the renewal. Here is the newest article on it

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/91468/tribune-impasse-is-behind-cw-ott-option

CBS's and Warner Bros.' interest in streaming the CW as a pay OTT service is being spurred by their inability to renew an affiliation agreement with Tribune Broadcasting, according to sources familiar with the negotiations.

Tribune is the network's key affiliate. It airs the network in 13 markets, including six of the top 10 — New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Washington and Houston.

Tribune is also a charter affiliate of the CW, having struck a 10-year affiliation agreement when UPN and the WB merged to form the CW in 2006. That deal expires in August.

The primary sticking point is money, the sources say. Tribune has always paid reverse comp, but is balking at the network's demands for more.

In recent years, Tribune's CW stations have begun receiving retransmission consent payments from MVPDs, but the revenue is said to be a fraction of what Big 4 affiliates receive.

Money is not the only problem, the sources add. Tribune is insisting on digital rights to the CW programming within its market, the sources say. To do what is not clear. And it is demanding another long-term deal.

Bloomberg reported yesterday that CBS and Warner Bros. are mulling the OTT idea as a way to generate more revenue from the network programming.

The CW would offer its programs as part of a linear channel as well as individually on demand for a modest monthly fee — perhaps $2 or $4. CBS All Access, an OTT service comprising the local CBS O&O or affiliate as well as on-demand CBS shows, goes for $5.99 a month.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...said-to-consider-online-version-of-cw-network

If CBS and Warner Bros. go the OTT route, they would not pull the plug on the broadcast network, the Bloomberg story says. Rather, it would be simulcast on the OTT platform, somehow compensating broadcast affiliates for the loss of the linear exclusivity.

The sources say the CW has other options for moving forward without Tribune. Among other things, it could seek out other broadcast affiliates in the 13 Tribune markets. Or, in the half dozen Tribune markets where CBS has an O&O, including the top three markets, it could put the network on a subchannel of the O&O.

Note this is still months away so we will wait and see what happens

by the way The Tribune-owned CW affiliates that would be affected if the two cannot come to a new affiliation agreement are: WPIX 11 New York; KTLA 5 Los Angeles; WGN 9 Chicago; KDAF 33 Dallas-Fort Worth; WDCW 50 Washington DC; KIAH 39 Houston; WSFL 39 Miami-Fort Lauderdale; KWGN 2 Denver; KPLR 11 St. Louis; KRCW 32 Portland, OR; WCCT 20 Hartford-New Haven; WGNT 27 Norfolk (Hampton Roads), VA; and WNOL 38 New Orleans.

This is the sort of thing that would make a great addition to Sling TV, but only if they could get truly national rights to a CW live stream plus the on demand programming. I can't quite believe there are enough CW fans to buy into a separate subscription.

Wow, It would be interesting to see what happens to KWGN-DT "I go to Denver 2 times a year" maybe go back to pure Indy, type superstation? Sadly they don't have local news.:(

From what I have read here and on other sites, Tribune could use the original programming they've already ordered for WGN America to create a program service to fill the hole left by the CW. And in theory, they could either use WGN America as a de facto national affiliate to cover markets without Tribune O&Os, or offer their programming service package to other station groups, where it might compete with the likes of MyNetwork. Tribune has existing relationships with nationwide affiliates for This TV and Antenna TV networks, so maybe some of them would take the package as well. I could also certainly see Tribune putting the shows on This TV, perhaps on a one week delay, or perhaps covered with alternate programming in markets with a Tribune O&O.

Wow, It would be interesting to see what happens to KWGN-DT "I go to Denver 2 times a year" maybe go back to pure Indy, type superstation? Sadly they don't have local news.:(

WSBK was a pure Indy for a whileafter the UPN Demise but it was pretty underwheling.

The CW is actually just 2 hours programming a night 6 days a week. So if CW is dropped they can fill it with other programming.
Now there is the CW+ smaller markets that is programmed 24/7 with syndicated shows. But in larger markets its locally programmed.

Reactions: localclassictvfan
From what I have read here and on other sites, Tribune could use the original programming they've already ordered for WGN America to create a program service to fill the hole left by the CW. And in theory, they could either use WGN America as a de facto national affiliate to cover markets without Tribune O&Os, or offer their programming service package to other station groups, where it might compete with the likes of MyNetwork. Tribune has existing relationships with nationwide affiliates for This TV and Antenna TV networks, so maybe some of them would take the package as well. I could also certainly see Tribune putting the shows on This TV, perhaps on a one week delay, or perhaps covered with alternate programming in markets with a Tribune O&O.
good points

The CW is actually just 2 hours programming a night 6 days a week. So if CW is dropped they can fill it with other programming.
Now there is the CW+ smaller markets that is programmed 24/7 with syndicated shows. But in larger markets its locally programmed.
Good Point ICE, that would be lovely to have the cw from 7-9 CST with a subchannel taking the next 22 hours like some MNTV affiliates......I would love it in our market.....CW does show a lil better syndicated programming though...

This will only be in Tribune markets....which neither of us have for CW ;) (Sinclair here)
Your market is a CW+ affiliate (I described it above) so that wont go away

I could see possibly in some markets a CW/My hybrid with My delayed 2 hours (heck in LA the west coast flagship My affiliate KCOP tape delays My until 11p-1am)

This will only be in Tribune markets....which neither of us have for CW ;) (Sinclair here)
Your market is a CW+ affiliate (I described it above) so that wont go away

I could see possibly in some markets a CW/My hybrid with My delayed 2 hours (heck in LA the west coast flagship My affiliate KCOP tape delays My until 11p-1am)
Mine is on Cordillera's KATC 3.2.......What's funny is it seems that if Tribune and CW part ways this could follow what Gray is doing with their stations adding CW+ so buy November WNOL (Tribune) and KBCA (Delta Media through Wilderness comm..) will be in the same boat.....This would be 3 CW affiliates gone in Louisiana off the main channel or .1 as it's called and the second Delta Station replacing CW (KLWB lost theirs to KATC in 2010 and now KBCA will have to replace the CW in August when KALB takes it over, so not jumping the gun this could be a new subchannel in the making because the last two launches by Delta on KLWB (Antenna/H&I) have also gone on KBCA, anyway back to the Tribune/CW deal, I will see what transpires come august.....gonna be another busy TV season this fall too.....

honestly other than "pretty close to guaranteed cable coverage" I don't see the issue of being on a -1 or a -2. Cable and satellite folks don't know what RF station a particular station is on. Its more about "gimmick"....as example in Duluth My is called "My9" for the cable placement in most of the area (its technically 6-2). CW uses "CW2" for the same although last year it got pulled from cable and when it came back it wasn't on 2 (station is 3-2).

I know in smaller markets that is how areas got close to the "Big 4" when for years they may have had only 2 or 3 of the Big 4 (I know Lafayette was like that until NBC came along).

I always like how they hype this up...its only 10-12 hours of programming that would be lost if the CW left an affiliate. The rest has to be filled with syndicated programming. Its not like losing ABC as example (like in Tri Cities, VA/TN) where they lost like 55 hours of network programming (more during the fall with football)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)