D* and TiVo back together - again?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jammy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Beaumont, TX
Is it true that DirecTV and Tivo have maintained and will maintain a relationship that could result in a DVR based on TiVo technology, that would be able to handle MPEG4 HD?

No.

They had and still have a support contract thru 2010 for the current line of DirecTivo's. An update to them is forthcoming in 2008. Nothing more then that.

MPEG 4 would require a re-work of the physical box. The upgrades for Tivo are only software nuances. You can read the press release here to see what we've read so far.

DIRECTV to Introduce Additional TiVo Features

If you are looking to receive the new HD channels coming down the pike, you'll have to get an HR20. DirecTV has some good offers on upgrading an HD Tivo (you can even keep the HR10-250 for another room)

DIRECTV: TiVo HD DVRs Can't Get New Channels

But any word on whether that '08 update will have any MPEG4 capability?

It's impossible as the hardware in the HR10 can't decode MPEG4 and doing it in software just isn't possible given the slow hardware.

And even if a software update can allow it to decode MPEG4 it doesn't matter since the HR10 can't see the 2 new satellite slots of 99 and 103 that the HD will be coming from nor can it decode anything in the KA band which these new sats use (the older sats use KU band).

MPEG4 is only a small part of the equation. The bigger part is just the fact it can't see the new sats.

I would think some sort of mpeg4 to mpeg2 converters could do the job between the 5 lnbdish and the Hr10. Along with new firmware. But unfortunately there are two many things the HR10 doesnt have, like esata and ethernet ports. It was the best at what it did though. Great machine. I really miss Tivo and a remote that woud control my reciever. WHoda thunk it that a more advanced machine would support less than the old one.

I really miss Tivo and a remote that woud control my reciever. WHoda thunk it that a more advanced machine would support less than the old one.

Have you tried to program the D* remote to work your receiver ?
Many do work, but not all of course.

If this doesn't work, theres always the Harmony remotes . :)

Jimbo

I know this is way out there but...couldn't they create some sort of usb device that could go in front of the sat inputs to decode MPEG4? USB is active and it's 2.0. That would be interesting, but highly unlikely.

I don't see why they couldn't add some kind of decoder box that receives the mpeg 4 signal from Directv and convert it to mpeg 2 for the older hd tivos.

I don't see why they couldn't add some kind of decoder box that receives the mpeg 4 signal from Directv and convert it to mpeg 2 for the older hd tivos.
bingo. But there is still other features that the HDtivo couldnt do like VOD over ethernet.

Have you tried to program the D* remote to work your receiver ?
Many do work, but not all of course.

If this doesn't work, theres always the Harmony remotes . :)

Jimbo
Yes and Ive also tried codes from the other remotes on their website. Makes no sense for it not to work. As far as Harmony goes, Im not buying another 300 dollar remote just to have it break after its out of warranty. Cheap pieces of junk. Be forewarned. Don't dare drop it. :rolleyes:

Harmony remotes range from $50 to over $300 depending on the model. I have 3 688's which I have purchased from $80 open box to $170ish. My original is over 2 years old and working like a charm. Great customer support too. I think you are just cursed Vurbano.

MX series my friends. MX-700 is a very solid remote having been dropped many times and still working years later. ;)

MX series my friends. MX-700 is a very solid remote having been dropped many times and still working years later. ;)

Oh did I mention my Harmony 688's have survived 2 kids between a few months to 4 years old. Bite marks, yogurt, throwing, spit up, etc. and have worked through it all.

Why not? TivoCast and Amazon video works on the standalones, most of which have no CPU/RAM advantage over the HR10.

And why does it even matter. The big problem is that the HR10 cannot see the 2 new sat slots nor can it tune to KA band signals. All this stuff about MPEG4 and all that just doesn't matter if it can't get the signal in the first place. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.