D* comments on E*'s HD offerings

He really pimps the RSN HD's... apparently he doesn't realize that E* will have that very soon. Outside of the Sunday Ticket D* has nothing over E*...

I sure hope he's right when he says D* will do more national HD in the 2nd qtr of 07 and it doesn't slip.

However, if you want high quality HD channels with the most popular HD programming, then you should choose DIRECTV.

Swannie sure dropped the ball on hammering this D* exec on HD-Lite. I saw nothing in this guys answers to keep anyone on D* until late next year.

Swannie: E* and Cable have so many more HD channels, why should someone stay with D*?
D* exec: uh, We have Desparate Housewives on HD LIL.

Big dea, Cable had HD locals long before Sat, and even Dish has many HD LIL markets, not to mention that both sats services support OTA.

It's funny to listen to Shanks and D*'s customer retention people bash Voom channels like RAVE, which I enjoy a great deal, and then they offer crap like CD USA.

All I hear from D* is "wait until next year". I've heard that for nearly three years now and all we've gotten recently is TNT HD (B.F.D.) and Universal HD, which they should rename the Law and Order channel. Although I do totally love Battlestar Galactica in HD, upconverted or not.

There should be no reason why D* doesn't carry NG HD, Starz HD and MTV HD and I'm getting tired of them trotting out the old warhorse, "We have more NFL HD than anyone." Guess what, D*: Some of your subscribers DON'T GIVE A CRAP about the NFL.

How lame are they if they have to use something as obnoxious and dysfunctional as the NFL as a crutch?

Bunnyman said:
All I hear from D* is "wait until next year". I've heard that for nearly three years now and all we've gotten recently is TNT HD (B.F.D.) and Universal HD, which they should rename the Law and Order channel. Although I do totally love Battlestar Galactica in HD, upconverted or not.

There should be no reason why D* doesn't carry NG HD, Starz HD and MTV HD and I'm getting tired of them trotting out the old warhorse, "We have more NFL HD than anyone." Guess what, D*: Some of your subscribers DON'T GIVE A CRAP about the NFL.

How lame are they if they have to use something as obnoxious and dysfunctional as the NFL as a crutch?

While I do wish that D* did offer more national HD channels you can't get around the fact that they just don't have the bandwidth now to do it. Yea, maybe the could have done what E* had done and go out and lease additional satellite space but they decided to do it all on their own with their own satellites. Hopefully with D10 and D11 next year there will be no more wait until next year. We just have to hope that something doesn't go wrong with those two satellites our D* will be in deep sh*t.

About HD content on Dish:

I find that NG-HD, HGTV-HD, Food-HD, WorldsportsHD, MonstersHD, some other Voom channels, all have very good content for me. And I am not against Desperate Housewifes in HD - I get in two versions - from Milwaukee and Chicago with attic OTA antenna:)

This is not an interview, its a PR piece. The art of a real interview was lost many years ago. Now it is just some talking head asking a question that the interviewee most likely already had access to and time to craft a carefully worded answer. No follow up questions to anything the D* droid said. Not sure when the interview was conducted, but if it was recently, he should have done his research and informed the droid that Dish will have the RSNs and INHD soon. Not to mention the local market HD. Wow, a whole one sentence mention that Dish has launched the same service in almost as many markets.

Yes I subscribe to Dish and acknoledge I am against D* for their refusal to deal with HD PQ issues. However I'd be just as pissed if this was Charlie doing the interview and gave the same crap answers.

Would it be for the better or worse if the lawsuit merges D and E. No competion may make them lazy or would cable push them to the limit. Does cable have a limit on the amt of hd they can push through their cable. Also is cable hd lite hd?
Dave.

dude2 said:
Would it be for the better or worse if the lawsuit merges D and E. No competion may make them lazy or would cable push them to the limit. Does cable have a limit on the amt of hd they can push through their cable. Also is cable hd lite hd?
Dave.

Not going to touch #1.

As for cable, yes they also have limits to the amount of bandwidth available to them. However, that limit varies based on the physical plant of the individual cable system. That's why one Comcast system (for example) might have more channels then the Comcast system in the next county. There are some cable systems that due to limited bandwidth are doing their own version of HD-Lite.

Cable's trying to make changes to get more bandwidth such as:

- Migrating from QAM-64 to QAM-256 modulation
- Moving analog channels to digital, you can fit maybe 10 analog channels in the same space as one if you convert it to digitial and compress
- Looking to move to switched video, just distrbute the channels people are viewing in a node vs. all the available channels
- Upgrade older systems cabling/electronics to increase bandwidth capacity

I thought the most interesting part of that whole article was his picture. Did that picture not look like a man backed into a corner scared out of his pants?

I was with D* from 98' till this coming Sunday. 4HD boxes, 3 sd, and I can't wait to have choices for HD as I will now with E*. I always thought E* was evil and pimped D* to friends and neighbors, was quoted in U.S. News and World Report by a guy writing a article who found me here...no more. Once you see HD you want more and they went with HDLiL instead of giving people what they want in national HD. I think D* thinking is flawed as most people in the big DMA's can get thier LIL in HD with an antenna. If they can't you are talking about a fraction of a fraction. When the TNTHD went off this past sunday so did I. Somebody up their may love me....but tomorrow I get like 30 HD channels WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!! Now who loves me Shanks?:neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener :neener

Last edited:
Madtown has gone mad! You will probably get transferred to the middle of nowhere and be back with D* so you can watch your Pack! Of course if that happened, you would have a great opportunity to change teams! Just cracks me up how people with D* or E* are so against the other, like they need proof that they made the right decision. The piece was fluff, like almost every other article that comes out about these two companies. I personally get a chuckle out of the new Dish adds with the NFL, now you E* guys have to admit, that's funny.

FlyingJ said:
Madtown has gone mad! You will probably get transferred to the middle of nowhere and be back with D* so you can watch your Pack! Of course if that happened, you would have a great opportunity to change teams! Just cracks me up how people with D* or E* are so against the other, like they need proof that they made the right decision. The piece was fluff, like almost every other article that comes out about these two companies. I personally get a chuckle out of the new Dish adds with the NFL, now you E* guys have to admit, that's funny.

Just let you know there is no problem in Madtown location to pick up Packers with OTA.
But I am not saying here that there is no problem with the Packers this season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)