Where to point dish?

ToddG

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Could some one please post where I will need to point my dish 300 to pick up the 129 sat. I am trying to decide whether to upgrade and want to make sure I can see the 129 sat. I am in Virginia and my zip is 24590.

Thanks,

I don't think that 129 is included on the menu - 61.5/110/119/148 are all that I have. There are many dish pointing programs on the web but a quick calculation gives an azimuth of 249 (magnetic) and elevation of 24.

yooper.mi said:
Press menu 6,1,1 select peak angles, this should give you all the information you need.

most new boxes have the following satellites in them

My 5000 only has the "original 4" :)

birddoggy said:
i just tried this on my 522 and when i put in my zipcode/ Dish 300, and 129... all i got was NA on all 3 settings... interesting
I ended up going to a site http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennasatelazposcalc.html
and finally figured out how it works.
Wasn't too much help other than getting in the general direction and elevation. This I also figured out from looking to see where my 110/119 was pointing and pointed the new dish about 10 degrees to the west and a little higher.

Found that it is best to connect a receiver (that lists 129 in the menu) direct to the new dish rather than going through any switches. I have a small enough TV that I can move out to below the step ladder and an unused Dish301 which then worked just fine. It seems that trying to go through the switches doesn't work or at least doesn't work well for the initial pointing. For the other receivers I tried here, none would see 129 on the point dish screen until I ran a check switch.:cool:

Thanks for the help. My 942 won't give me this info. When I select 129 sat, it gives N/A.

ToddG said:
Thanks for the help. My 942 won't give me this info. When I select 129 sat, it gives N/A.

To receive sat at 129 with a 300 dish from Scottsville,VA , set elevation to 22 and azimuth to 256.

Low in the sky for you but might work under certain conditions. Good luck.