311 Receiver Point Dish Screen Problem

jockoflocko

Original poster
Nov 9, 2023
Texas
I have an old 311 Receiver and a Dish 500 DP Pro that I used to take camping years ago. I recently retired and decided to get back into camping again. I took the 311 and Dish 500 down from where they were stored in the attic and set them up to test in my RV at the house before I left for the campsite. After I activated the receiver with Dish, I made sure my Dish mount was plumb, then I plugged in my analog satellite finder and used my info (203 Azimuth, 114 Skew, 47 Elevation) to locate the 119W satellite. After that I disconnected the analog satellite finder and went to the receiver Point Dish screen and selected satellite 119 and transponder 21. But I only got a red bar and a "0" signal. I tried all of the other 119 transponders, but I still only got a red bar and a "0" signal. After that I ran a check switch with the following results:

Input 1
Conn
Polarity - X
Device - Twin
Input 2
Conn
Polarity - X
Device - Twin
Status - Problem detected, check connections.

I called Dish again to see if it took some time before my receiver was activated, but they said it was active. I then tried finding 119 only using the point dish screen, but it just kept showing a red bar and a "0" signal. I also tried resetting the receiver and running a check switch with and without the card inserted, but still got a red bar and a "0" signal. I am now at my wits end with this. The receiver and dish both worked fine several years ago, but for some reason now they don't. The receiver has been stored in a closed box in the attic, so I don't believe it has been damaged. I think I am missing something simple on this, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Do I need a new receiver card or firmware update? Does anyone have any other ideas? Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

So, you can buy a 211z for about $60 and a Wally for about $82. For $22 why not go for the newest receiver.
In addition to the cost, I can think of two reasons.
  1. The menu system is better in the Wally. I really don't like my TV to look like a glorified tablet.
  2. The OTA tuner is embedded in the 411/211/211k receivers, but is extra cost on the 211z and Wally.

All, thank you for your feedback on this. Really appreciate it. So, I think I'm going to call Dish back and see about getting a Wally or a 211. What I don't understand is why did Dish take my $$$$ to activate an obsolete receiver? I am going to ask them about that, and I'll let you all know what they say.

Thanks.

All, thank you for your feedback on this. Really appreciate it. So, I think I'm going to call Dish back and see about getting a Wally or a 211. What I don't understand is why did Dish take my $$$$ to activate an obsolete receiver? I am going to ask them about that, and I'll let you all know what they say.

Thanks.
because unfortunately they don't have a clue because for some reason dish no longer properly trains or updates csr.

Thanks.
It still works on the other arc 110 and 119

Reactions: charlesrshell