D* dominating

dimi1963

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Union, NJ
Looks like that D* is dominating the scene of the DBS by striking deals left and right, adding channels, imoproving service. I wonder when E* will do somethign about it. I am a lomg time E* member (1996), but if Charlie doesn't make a move, I am gone....

I want more HDTV, Charlie wake up!!!!!!! :mad:

What good is receiver technology when you can't see the channels you want? That's like buying a Ferrari when your 12, can't use the damn thing, but hey it looks nice.

Granted, E*'s lineup of HD isn't all that compelling (I sold my 811 on ebay and ditched the HD package) but I don't see where any other offering is that much better.

ocaddict said:
E* still has the best receiver technology on the market. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. ;)

How do you quantify "best reciever"? If the track record of E* current recievers (811,522,921,322) counts for anything I question what you call quality. :no

Notice I have a 721. And while many E* models have their quirks and bugs, at least E* is trying new things and putting new technology out there. And we all know that can be a trying process. Also, while the 921 DEFINITELY has had/has it's issues, it's by far the most advanced receiver on the market and gives E* customers a great solution for HD/DVR.

Dominating

How are they dominating? On what fronts.....

Receivers = (edge) DirecTV Only due to the Direct HD-TIVO but Dish's are faster

Programming = (edge none) Depends on if you like football or not

Service = (edge) Dish

HD = (edge none) I know DirecTV announced their grand plan but until it happens, it's vapor. Also both are compressing the HD signal.

Cost = (edge) Dish

Don't see the domination

bdemz said:
How are they dominating? On what fronts.....

Receivers = (edge) DirecTV Only due to the Direct HD-TIVO but Dish's are faster

Programming = (edge none) Depends on if you like football or not

Service = (edge) Dish

HD = (edge none) I know DirecTV announced their grand plan but until it happens, it's vapor. Also both are compressing the HD signal.

Cost = (edge) Dish

Don't see the domination

I agree with you completely my friend (well except the receivers part. Tivo isn't all that). E* is Dishnetwork right? LOL. And as for the other dude, Yeah, I've heard of HD-TIVO. Regardless, we all have opinions. Go with whatever makes you happy, and you'll be happy. I've had both and prefer Dish. Nuff said.

Let's just all settle down and wait to see how this plays out over the next year. If all of D* grandiose future looking announcements are keeping you awake then you should probably switch providers and get on with your life. I however, plan to wait and see how this all plays out before I go thru the hassle. I've seen too many big corporate plans fail to bear fruit.

NightRyder

Before I got back with E*, after being with cable for a few years, I looked at what both had to offer(ignoring what is supposed to be coming in the next year). For the most part they seem pretty equal. I went with E* because I didn't really want a second dish for locals and let me use their 811 for free. I really hope D* gets all their plans done, competition is good. My guess is that they will try to keep the HD(and other) programming similar to each other. While it seems one is pulling ahead with announcements, they are just announcements.

I agree with both you guys pretty much. I'll just be glad when I can flip on the damn TV and almost every channel is coming in native HD. That'll be shweet!

dimi1963 said:
Looks like that D* is dominating the scene of the DBS by striking deals left and right, adding channels, imoproving service. I wonder when E* will do somethign about it. I am a lomg time E* member (1996), but if Charlie doesn't make a move, I am gone....

I want more HDTV, Charlie wake up!!!!!!! :mad:
Obviously, this is just saber rattling. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Nobody wants to switch, but we're trying to apply pressure to E*, to maintain parity. If the balance clearly shifts to favor D* (reality, not vaporware), people will switch. That's capitalism in action:usa

ocaddict said:
E* still has the best receiver technology on the market. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. ;)

What receiver technology?. Their receivers are the worst. They are full of software bugs. Have you ever seen D* STB. Everything is better including guide which is like 10 times better.

HD D* Tivo is much better than 921. Tivo has 2 OTA tuners, 921 has only one plus HD Tivo is much easier to use. I had 921, it was the worst receiver I ever had.

Heck, even Voom reciever is better than any from E*.

Curtis0620 said:
The 921 is not the most enhanced HD-DVR on the market.

Actually it is. The 921 may not be perfect, but it's more advanced than the buggy SLOOOOOOWWW HD-Tivo. Read reviews of that POS, it's right down there with Dishplayer.

Personally, as an E* sub I am glad that D* is working on doing the HD locals. Competition is always a good thing, it keeps E* from getting complacent which I think was starting to happen a couple years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)