D* & HD in the near future - Your Thoughts AFS

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Barneypoo69 said:
My understanding is InHD is supplied by SAT, so it should also be offered to DSS providers. How long is their contact, if it prohibits D* from getting it yet? just would like to know if there is a contract keeping D* from having Inhd & when it expires.
Also, are we going to need to replace our 18" oval dish w/3LNBs to enjoy the "possible" additions next year?

Barney

I'm not aware of anything keeping direcTV from getting InHD and yes its sent via sat and as such its available to any provider at a fair market price.

Now to get the new national and local HD channels you will need to have either a new dish or a new multiswitch. Now I've been hearing that a new multiswitch with a software update for the boxes is what will be done in the future. Also they are leaning towards using a new multiswitch because they also need to design a two way multiswitch of some sorts for multiroom DVR transfers. So with that said they are working on one multiswitch for both problems.

So why doesn't D* just put on their web site that after you log in as a customer you could vote on what channels you think they should provide?

I understand that some channels pay to be on (shopping channels in particular) but does that mean they need to take the place of bandwith needed for even returning the sd channels to some reasonable compression rates?

I believe that as a consumer of their product that I can provide guidance to them on what is valuable to me and what isn't. This voting could even be a system tied to what your current level of service is so as to prioritize what is a channel worth keeping.

My option of course but flush any channel that is a full-time advertisment and defer them to being with the 95 slot where you need another dish to receive.

Also another bandwith saver is when all the fox sports channels are broadcasting the same programming take it from one source and just reassign th numbers when this is happening. I made this suggestion back for local networks but a bit trickier since you have local channels.

With all the computer capability we have you would think they could do something other than just one channel per spot. tehy have the ability to change the compression rate why not switch when common programming is occuring?

Im really interested in StarzHD the most. It would seem to me that after football that they could add at least three HD ch's. I think that they will look to add ch's that could go into their HD pack since they would like to juice that up a bit. But Im really hoping for StarzHD.

vinnyv07 said:
Im really interested in StarzHD the most. It would seem to me that after football that they could add at least three HD ch's. I think that they will look to add ch's that could go into their HD pack since they would like to juice that up a bit. But Im really hoping for StarzHD.

I agree, I think that D* would want to add some national HD stuff so everyone can get it. Hopefully StarHD, TNT & ESPN2 could be those 3 if 3 channels happened to be the magic number of channel added after sunday ticket ends.

Neutron said:
Anyone have a picture of the new dish that D* has that will see 95 and the existing satellites?
Thats what I'm wondering also. When the new "bird" is up there next spring, am I going to have to replace my 18" oval dish w/3LNB's? Or is it just to soon to tell?

Barney

CWS_kahuna said:
I agree, I think that D* would want to add some national HD stuff so everyone can get it. Hopefully StarHD, TNT & ESPN2 could be those 3 if 3 channels happened to be the magic number of channel added after sunday ticket ends.

I would think StarzHD would be less likely since it will only help those subscribed to Starz. DirecTV has already put the non-ST subscribers on back burner til the end of football season and subsidized its apology (Free HD Pack for six months). If I were DirecTV right now, I would be pushing to make the HD Pack more compelling (with channels that HD Pack subscribers would pay to see) before the free six months expires. Here's the question: which HD channels will bring in the most revenue over the short term? Will adding StarzHD encourage enough people to subscribe to the entire Starz pack? Or will adding to the HD Pack encourage people not to cancel it when it is no longer free? DirecTV will make it a priority to get people to be willing to pay for the HD Pack. Giving away content gets expensive after a while and it is not something about which DirecTV can be overly happy.

As for InHD, I just don't see that being added that soon. A group of cable companies owns InHD. If it were that simple to demand content, Voom's vaunted HD originals would be bigger targets themselves. If fair market price were that simple a factor, Cuban wouldn't be able to shun Voom as he's so expertly done.

IMO, some channels will get added sooner than others because they can legitimize the HD Pack. Universal HD (from the ashes of BravoHD+) promises to do more for this group than anything since HDNet and HDNet Movies. Eventually customer demand will grow to the point that the market demands HD versions channels in the Premium Packs. This demand won't have to be so loud when DirecTV has room to spare (when the new sats are up).

The question is ...what can be added to Directv's HD pack? TNTHD....and what else? INHD 1 and 2? As it stands Directv has ESPNHD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, Bravo HD, and DiscHD...if they add TNTHD, what else is there? The only other HD ch's they could add to the HDpack is INHD 1 and 2 ( I dont feel like there is a good chance for INHD 1 and 2). So if they add TNTHD....StarzHD has to be next....or FoxDT. We will see what happens, but I feel the three HD ch's that will be added are TNTHD, FoxDT and StrazHD. Lets hope for INHD 1 and 2.
OH YEA...forgot about ESPN2HD starting up....Im really not that crazy about that. ESPNHD doesnt show enough HD for me...ESPN2HD will probably show less.

vinnyv07 said:
The question is ...what can be added to Directv's HD pack? TNTHD....and what else? INHD 1 and 2? As it stands Directv has ESPNHD, HDNET, HDNET Movies, Bravo HD, and DiscHD...if they add TNTHD, what else is there? The only other HD ch's they could add to the HDpack is INHD 1 and 2 ( I dont feel like there is a good chance for INHD 1 and 2). So if they add TNTHD....StarzHD has to be next....or FoxDT. We will see what happens, but I feel the three HD ch's that will be added are TNTHD, FoxDT and StrazHD. Lets hope for INHD 1 and 2.
OH YEA...forgot about ESPN2HD starting up....Im really not that crazy about that. ESPNHD doesnt show enough HD for me...ESPN2HD will probably show less.

Well besides TNT HD, ESPN2 HD, Starz HD, INHD 1/2, & FOX HD....
D* can add Cinemax HD, Encore HD, TMC HD, ABC HD, UPN HD, WB HD, Fox Sports HD, Playboy HD, & NFL Network HD.
I am not sure if any of the channels that Voom has can be added but I personally would like to get Rush HD or a channel like it. I don't know if PBS HD can be added to a sat feed either but it is a channel that's out there.

I am right with you in hopes for the INHD channels.

New 10 LNB D* Dish

SAMI_dish_lg.jpg

Steady34 said:
Now that's funny.
It may be funny if you are not married. I couldnt even make a joke about that being the new dish LOL. she hates wires on the side of the house let alone anything on the side or roof. LOL :)

ROTFLMAO........my wife would kill me if I even thought about one of those "Dish"....... :mad:
Do ya'll really think D* will meet the deadline for HD? Has the FCC extended the deadline for everything to be in HD?

Barney

Barneypoo69 said:
Has the FCC extended the deadline for everything to be in HD?

There is no law/deadline that says everything needs to be in HD, only that OTA stations broadcast a digital signal and give back their analog spectrum. As to if they've changed the date, sorry but I've lost track on what the latest word is.

Sorry, I just have dial-up, but I found this on the FCC website:

FCC DTV transition

If anyone knows of an updated DTV transition "order" from the FCC, let me know.

Here is some info off the "page":

* The FCC said that it will set new dates for replication, maximization and channel election in the next periodic review. These new deadlines may be earlier than but will not be later than the end of 2006 or the date by which 85% of the television households in a licensee's market are capable of receiving the signals of digital broadcast stations, whichever is later.

* The Commission provided that television stations may operate digitally at a reduced schedule by providing, at a minimum, a digital signal during prime time hours. This modified operating requirement does not affect DTV licensees' simulcast obligations. Thus, starting on April 1, 2003, a DTV station must provide a digital signal at least 50% of the time it transmits an analog signal; on April 1, 2004, 75%; and on April 1, 2005, 100%.

Barney

The New Dish (Really)

Neutron said:
Anyone have a picture of the new dish that D* has that will see 95 and the existing satellites?

First picture is front of house. Phase III on lower right corner, painted white to help blend in.

Second picture is from different angle. You can still see the Phase III at the bottom, but you can see the big 95 dish on the roof. Luckily, I live on a cul-de-sac and only two or three neighbors can see this. I will also spray paint this to better blend in with the roof.

Cricket last night looked great. It does not appear that D* is overcompressing signals on this satellite yet. Is it just me, or has ESPN2 looked like crap lately for football games?

[Sorry for the blurriness of the pictures. I now see some small fingerprints on the camera lens that need to be wiped off.]

Attachments

• DCP_1031.JPG
    DCP_1031.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 281
  • DCP_1032.JPG
    DCP_1032.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 341
WHOA. I can't believe that nobody else picked up on this (except maybe due to the fingerprints!) :)

Scott/LonghornXP - whassup with the "D* superdish?"

This thing is 95 only, and a friggin monster at that!

ramcm7 said:
[Sorry for the blurriness of the pictures. I now see some small fingerprints on the camera lens that need to be wiped off.]

How convenient that the pics are blurry right where the 95 dish is so we can't really see it. too well. Or is it my crappy work monitor??? :D

According to my contacts at DirecTV they D* SuperDish is not ready yet.

Not quite sure what that was in those pictures, looked like a homebrew using a FTA Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.