D* Installation Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hello!

We just ordered D* & will have it installed on 5/26. We can't wait! But I have a few questions I was hoping to get some advice on.

The first is regarding installation of the dish itself. Our landlord has no problems with us getting satellite but doesn't want it attached to the house itself. The deck or fence is fine. Would you wait for the installer to get here to talk with them about it or do you think that we should go ahead and set a pole mount ahead of time?

Secondly, we don't have a landline phone to hook up the receivers to but I thought that I could access all the same interactive features via ethernet connection. Is this correct or am I all mixed up?

Thanks in advance!
Rae

id tell the installer to install best place OTHER than house, let him do the work in putting in a pole.

NO you dont need a land line to go into your receivers, its really only for ordering PPV (you can order online), and to use the caller ID feature on the receivers.

:D
id tell the installer to install best place OTHER than house, let him do the work in putting in a pole.

NO you dont need a land line to go into your receivers, its really only for ordering PPV (you can order online), and to use the caller ID feature on the receivers.

what he said, dont let him put it on a fence or the deck.. i have seen too many of these go bad
and a pole mount shouldnt have to cost you a penny since your landlord wont let you put it on the building, YMMV

Hello!

We just ordered D* & will have it installed on 5/26. We can't wait! But I have a few questions I was hoping to get some advice on.

Rae

You must can wait.. Your not getting it till 5/26. Local Retailer would have probably had it installed already.. And he could have answered your pole issue.. Oh well. Hope you enjoy your DirecTV. I am sure your installer will do you a good job.. Just talk to them when he/she gets there. Unless you know how to install satellite systems, you need to leave it all to the professional.

You must can wait.. Your not getting it till 5/26. Local Retailer would have probably had it installed already.. And he could have answered your pole issue.. Oh well. Hope you enjoy your DirecTV. I am sure your installer will do you a good job.. Just talk to them when he/she gets there. Unless you know how to install satellite systems, you need to leave it all to the professional.

Actually, we chose the date a week further out. They could have come out already but we didn't see the point since we won't be moved in until next week anyway.

I did call and talk to a local installer. Would have liked to have ordered through them but they were unable to offer many of the current D* promotions so it would have been cost prohibitive for us. Unfortunate, really.

Thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it. I think we'll wait and try for the pole mount since that sounds like the best option. Hopefully, they'll work with us on it! Looking forward to having HD again :D

:D

what he said, dont let him put it on a fence or the deck.. i have seen too many of these go bad
and a pole mount shouldnt have to cost you a penny since your landlord wont let you put it on the building, YMMV

Not true, pole mounts are only free for line of sight issues, since its landlord permission, expect to pay 75$ to the installer. and as long as the jpipe doesnt move it should be fine on a deck railing, fence is a no go tho, is it standard or hd? if its hd i might retract that deck statement. But yea... be careful on the pole, because you may end up rescheduling if the tech cant get one that day, but only install it yourself if you know where the line of sight is, and if you know the correct diameter for your dish type.

Not true, pole mounts are only free for line of sight issues, since its landlord permission, expect to pay 75$ to the installer. and as long as the jpipe doesnt move it should be fine on a deck railing, fence is a no go tho, is it standard or hd? if its hd i might retract that deck statement. But yea... be careful on the pole, because you may end up rescheduling if the tech cant get one that day, but only install it yourself if you know where the line of sight is, and if you know the correct diameter for your dish type.

Not necessary, we have a pole mount and dont have a line of sight issue, and ours was free

Not necessary, we have a pole mount and dont have a line of sight issue, and ours was free

you may have had a generous tech, basically we'd be allowed to charge for it. Its the same principle as in if you move, get a movers connect but theres no line of sight at your new home, d* releases you from your contract, but if your new landlord wont allow the dish, then your hit early term.

You can't charge for a pole mount if it's no landlord permission. If you are doing that, that could bite you in the a$$.

You are charging 75 bucks for condos and apartment pole mount installations? I would be careful about that. A house being rented is no different then an apartment or townhouse.

You can't charge for a pole mount if it's no landlord permission. If you are doing that, that could bite you in the a$$.

You are charging 75 bucks for condos and apartment pole mount installations? I would be careful about that. A house being rented is no different then an apartment or townhouse.

if there's a line of sight from the roof, then yes, your paying 75bucks, and my office trained me to do that like a year and a half ago too, everyone from my office does that. like i said, it may be different per hsp.

So your telling me that when you come to a townhouse/apartment with a very clear roof line of sight, you charge for the pole mount?

That isn't what the pole mount charge is for and never has been intended.

If you own the home and have a clear line of site and refuse a roof mount, a charge for the pole is very much justified.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm just in a dilemma on it. Landlord says sat is fine but definitely *not* on the house. Fence will be too wobbly and I'm a little worried about the deck since it's HD service/dish.

We won't pay the $75. I know we can do it ourselves for $20 or so and we're fine with that. BUT the issue is where to place it and I'm not sure how to determine that w/o the installer there. If we put in it the wrong place, I'm sure they won't want to use it.

A pole mount really is our best option and it isn't *our* preference it's the stipulation of the landlord - ergo the only way we can go with sat is to honor that stipulation.

Is it possible to talk to the tech ahead of time to find out? Will the tech determine the best location and install wiring etc while we do the pole mount? What would your recommendation be at this point?

Thanks again for all the replies. I really appreciate all the input.

So your telling me that when you come to a townhouse/apartment with a very clear roof line of sight, you charge for the pole mount?

That isn't what the pole mount charge is for and never has been intended.

If you own the home and have a clear line of site and refuse a roof mount, a charge for the pole is very much justified.

1st of all Not all Townhomes/apts disapproved of roof or being attached to a building.

2nd. The landowner is requesting a POLE mount. That falls under Customer request.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm just in a dilemma on it. Landlord says sat is fine but definitely *not* on the house. Fence will be too wobbly and I'm a little worried about the deck since it's HD service/dish.

We won't pay the $75. I know we can do it ourselves for $20 or so and we're fine with that. BUT the issue is where to place it and I'm not sure how to determine that w/o the installer there. If we put in it the wrong place, I'm sure they won't want to use it.

A pole mount really is our best option and it isn't *our* preference it's the stipulation of the landlord - ergo the only way we can go with sat is to honor that stipulation.

Is it possible to talk to the tech ahead of time to find out? Will the tech determine the best location and install wiring etc while we do the pole mount? What would your recommendation be at this point?

Thanks again for all the replies. I really appreciate all the input.

So the best thing for you then would be to have all the necessary materials ready (bag of cement, 2" OD pipe, shovel, etc...) for when the installer shows up. Tell him you'll set the pole while he is running the wires.

No landlord isn't requesting pole mount, he said deck rail is just fine.

Chances are that most landlords, i.e apartments and townhouses, don't want it mounted to their buildings. It's your job to check. Just because its a house, doesn't change the landlord to tenant laws regarding satelite dishes. If you own the place and you are getting the dish, then that changes everything. Seems clear enough to me.

Last edited:
Would you be worried about a deck mount for an HD capable dish? Some have said that those can go bad. Then what happens? Am I responsible for a service call? While the deck is fine w/ the landlord, it's a short deck off the back door (ie no tall 4x4's to mount to) and it would have to be mounted to the deck railing. I'm worried that could get wobbly quickly.

I guess your suggestion is the best. If we have the stuff there, we can talk to the installer first. If they're willing to do the pole mount as part of the install, then great and we can return the unused items. If he considers it custom, then we'll say, tell us where to put it and we'll have it done while you run the wires. Thanks for the suggestion on that.

Just want to double check, is there anything else we would need to know other than 2" OD on the pipe for the pole mount? What length pipe do you recommend? Any particular type of pipe needed?

Again, thanks so much. :)

No landlord isn't requesting pole mount, he said deck rail is just fine.

Chances are that most landlords, i.e apartments and townhouses, don't want it mounted to their buildings. It's your job to check. Just because its a house, doesn't change the landlord to tenant laws regarding satelite dishes. If you own the place and you are getting the dish, then that changes everything. Seems clear enough to me.

Sigh
Pole mounts are not standard unless no line of site cannot be attained for residence.
Rental properties are still residences. You may not charge for your pole that is up to *you* The company you work for may say don't charge for the pole. That is their choice.
Rail mounts, tripods are not part of standard installation also.

Nationwide Satellite - DIRECTV Sales and Installation, DIRECTV Programming, DIRECTV satellite television

DIRECTV Satellite Dish Installation

For renters You should have renters form filled out. It is available on Directv website. It explains that they don't cover anything outside a standard install.

Attachments

• installationpermissionform.pdf
    11.5 KB · Views: 84
Would you be worried about a deck mount for an HD capable dish? Some have said that those can go bad. Then what happens? Am I responsible for a service call? While the deck is fine w/ the landlord, it's a short deck off the back door (ie no tall 4x4's to mount to) and it would have to be mounted to the deck railing. I'm worried that could get wobbly quickly.

I guess your suggestion is the best. If we have the stuff there, we can talk to the installer first. If they're willing to do the pole mount as part of the install, then great and we can return the unused items. If he considers it custom, then we'll say, tell us where to put it and we'll have it done while you run the wires. Thanks for the suggestion on that.

Just want to double check, is there anything else we would need to know other than 2" OD on the pipe for the pole mount? What length pipe do you recommend? Any particular type of pipe needed?

Again, thanks so much. :)

If you had time I would have recommended trying to get KaKu rail mounts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts