Status
Please reply by conversation.

sbalmos

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Cincinnati (Maineville), OH
Hi all,

Tried to defect from E* to D*. The installer seemed knowledgeable, but ultimately the install failed. When he first arrived, I noted to him that we'd have to fishline a second coax feed through my wall for the HD-DVR. He looked around and said it was impossible, even after I mentioned there were maybe two or three staples, and then the idea of pulling string / fishing wire on the existing cable.

So I asked about the SWM. He said they were rolled out to California, but then were completely recalled by D* due to too many service calls, and were totally unavailable. I asked whether the HD-DVR could run in a one-tuner mode off of one feed. He said no. Thankfully, he had a non-DVR HD box in the truck. Grumble grumble, but okay.

He also notes that D*'s HD signal *absolutely cannot* work through flat jumpers that I have laying in a cut groove in my patio door's track. I would definitely need a new feed line run from the dish to my wall-wiring distribution box in my laundry room. That set a red flag in my head, since I've had E* HD running without problem through those jumpers for months.

He gets the dish up where my current E* dish is, worries about getting all five satellites, no biggie. He runs a test cable from the dish to the receiver, just to see if he could get all five satellites. We do, he's surprised. He starts to connect the feed lines to my distribution box, gets no signal on his Birddog from the wall jack. Takes his little cable identifier tone generator, starts going around the condo.

He ends up saying that all five of my condo's wall jacks, despite there being five separate cable feeds in the distribution box, are being fed by splitters in the walls. I call BS, get into a big argument with him, as I've got electrical pictures of the walls before they were drywalled (the condo's brand new). The cables are individual feeds, no splitters. He says he absolutely cannot get a signal on his Birddog through my wall cables, and his little tone tester says all the other cables are dead except for one.

So he yanks down all the D* stuff, packs up, and leaves. I never got his name, he never had me sign anything, and I'm hoping to hell my account is canceled and I get a refund for the $120 I had to prepay for the HD-DVR. Not to mention I had to realign my E* dish, which wasn't *that* big a deal (he says D* Birddogs can't pick up E* satellites). Only had to get azimuth right, he left the elevation and skew angles on the install bracket set.

So basically... Did I get screwed? I got my own cable tone generator, and each cable in my distribution box toned out to a separate wall jack. There was a very little bit of tone cross-talk, because the cables are all in a big bundle when they enter my box. But it's clear they are separate feeds, no splitters. This crap with my wall wiring was the only thing blocking an install.

I can probably try and fishline my own second line to my HD-DVR location. But I'm just wondering what else I can check to make a second D* install attempt in the future successful.

Thanks!

--Scott

This happens sometimes. Most contractors are independent. They do not get very much money for the install. If it is going to take too long it is not worth it to them as they loose money.
I would not call it a fast one, but I would call it a bad install attempt. Maybe you got a Jr. guy. Good installers will not leave you hanging like this. Most will call there supervisor and have them come out to double check and to see if they can get the work order updated for the work and time and for what extra charges you need to pay (if any).

What you need to do is call the sat company directly. Get a supervisor or sr installer out and most importantly make sure the sat company has all the work listed that you need done on the work order so they get paid. If you need wall fishing add it to the work order. If you cost you a little extra pay it, its worth it. Or do the wall fish your self.
May sure you get a supervisor or Sr. Installer this time as this will be your 2nd attempt. Remember DirecTV does not make any money till you have full service so they want to make it right.

Have DirecTV read back the work order to make sure everything is correct. Installers can not add or change work orders, they are contractors.

Yeah, that's my thought, he just didn't consider it worth his time. He even mentioned to me that the morning install went bad. He was on the other side of the neighborhood, that other person wanted some weird install location, he had to traipse around in a lot of mud (new house, no sod yet), etc. He probably just wanted to get home.

I don't really blame him. I remember the sr. installer from E* that fixed up my install with them. He said they only get paid like $35 or so per install, no matter how long it took. Info like that makes me feel kind of bad for them. That's why I try to help as much as possible.

I'll probably try and do the fishing myself. See http://www.satelliteguys.us/1294202-post3.html for the electrical pics. Only two staples it looks. And then loose in the HVAC space next to the ductwork. Doesn't look too hard, other than the fact that I obviously have drywall up. ;)

Oh well... we'll see.

--Scott

Theres no way to tell from the pics wether theres one or a hundred pics or if there is even any cable. Wall fishings one thing but using the old line to pull a new line in this instance wont work due to the staples wich will seperate the old and the new. The bird dog will see E sats and I think it requires a software upgrade for the 129. If his pocket toner wasnt generating a tone then the battery was dead or the circuit inside was shot or the speaker was shot. The flat cable will run E and D so he was full of potatoes there aswell, basicly he either didnt know what he was doing or didnt care though I will say he didnt know.

Yeah, that's my thought, he just didn't consider it worth his time. He even mentioned to me that the morning install went bad. He was on the other side of the neighborhood, that other person wanted some weird install location, he had to traipse around in a lot of mud (new house, no sod yet), etc. He probably just wanted to get home.

I don't really blame him. I remember the sr. installer from E* that fixed up my install with them. He said they only get paid like $35 or so per install, no matter how long it took. Info like that makes me feel kind of bad for them. That's why I try to help as much as possible.

I'll probably try and do the fishing myself. See http://www.satelliteguys.us/1294202-post3.html for the electrical pics. Only two staples it looks. And then loose in the HVAC space next to the ductwork. Doesn't look too hard, other than the fact that I obviously have drywall up. ;)

Oh well... we'll see.

--Scott

The money says it all!

Get a different installation company. I fix the screwed up work of HSPs for $60.00 for the first hour and $40.00 for each additional hour. My rates are considered low and I only cover three counties. Service calls are now going to be $80.00 plus parts.

I had only heard rumors of installation rates that low.

Joe

I will say that running DirecTV through flat cables is not necessarily a good idea. Your typical flat jumper is unshielded, and while Dish is operating entirely above 950mhz, DirecTV's ka-lo signals are operating at 250-750mhz. If there is a strong uhf signal nearby, it is potentially possible that there could be interference introduced at those frequency ranges thanks to the unshielded jumper.

A note on using a flat cable.

I use a small, flat cable, to run my DirecTV signal into my RV. I have used it for the 3LNB and now use it for the 5 LNB Slimline dish and have not experienced any issues at all (knock on wood!).

My flat cable is about 6 inches in length and I connect the interior end to my receiver and the exterior end is connected to the dish.

Well, if the receiver is inside the house (RV actually), and the cable to the dish is only six inches long...

(i am sure there are some other pieces of cable involved)

Hi. If you are still interested in having a decent installation by Bluegrass Satellite, I am an employee there and I feel I could help you out. Let me know if you're interested.

Already got installed by another Bluegrass installer, who ended up being a student of my dad's roughly 13 years ago. The whole story was written up in another thread ("Another successful E* to D* convert", IIRC). Thanks though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)