D* Killing E* now in HD

AND THIS MIGHT GET PEOPLE GOING TO D* AS WELL :
News Briefs: Charlie Backs Hillary
MISCELLANY -- EchoStar CEO Charlie Ergen, along with company co-founders Candy Ergen and Jim DeFranco said they are supporting Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) in her campaign for the presidency in 2008. The company is encouraging its retailers to support the senator's run as well, urging them to donate $2,300 to Clinton's campaign. If dealers comply, they'll get an invitation to a fund-raising event Oct. 23 at Ergen's home. What a deal.

Ugh. Charlie's probably already penciled in for a night or two in the Lincoln bedroom sometime in 2009. The White House should be clean and tidy after George and Laura leave, but Charlie better plan his stay as early as possible before Bill stains the place again.

What's Charlie thinking? Why potentially alienate a large portion of your customer base by announcing which candidate you support? A smart man would have stayed quiet.

Hmm, when does my E* commitment expire? Rupert may be getting my business and you may see my 622 on eBay soon.

Oh, and I wonder if Charlie told Hillary how many American jobs he's outsourced to India?

Ugh. Charlie's probably already penciled in for a night or two in the Lincoln bedroom sometime in 2009. The White House should be clean and tidy after George and Laura leave, but Charlie better plan his stay as early as possible before Bill stains the place again.

What's Charlie thinking? Why potentially alienate a large portion of your customer base by announcing which candidate you support? A smart man would have stayed quiet.

Hmm, when does my E* commitment expire? Rupert may be getting my business and you may see my 622 on eBay soon.

Oh, and I wonder if Charlie told Hillary how many American jobs he's outsourced to India?

She wouldn't care.. politicians (espcially her type) of hypocrites

I wouldn't count Dish out of the picture just yet. How many years did Dish have more HD than Directv and we really didn't hear much of anything from the people with Directv.

This is only the 3rd and 4th week, I think dish will respond to all of this very soon!
My answer:

First - I count no one out, but....

For a total of 2 years and 4 months DISH had more HD channels - but for about a year the real difference was only VOOM (which at best has its advocates AND its detractors). Other than that they had maybe 5 more national channels. And that does not take into consideration D* superiority with HD sports.

It is only in the past 3 months or so that DISH has also added about 10 nationals and 8 PPVs. That is not really such a long advantage. I would guess that D*s advantage wil last a lot longer than 3 months with a lot more than 8 or so extra channels (again I am purposely leaving VOOM out of the mix).

If I am wrong - so be it - and just because I feel this way does NOT MEAN that I hope that it goes this way. DISH competing would be a much better scenario for all. But my feeling is that I will be more right than wrong on this one.

AND THIS MIGHT GET PEOPLE GOING TO D* AS WELL :
News Briefs: Charlie Backs Hillary
MISCELLANY -- EchoStar CEO Charlie Ergen, along with company co-founders Candy Ergen and Jim DeFranco said they are supporting Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) in her campaign for the presidency in 2008. The company is encouraging its retailers to support the senator's run as well, urging them to donate $2,300 to Clinton's campaign. If dealers comply, they'll get an invitation to a fund-raising event Oct. 23 at Ergen's home. What a deal.

Thanks Charlie
p.s. the message was written during the beginning of a period of time when a picture of the Clinton's as hippies was my avatar.

I am in the same boat as you Jay, however, when I received my CI renewal later, it did state I had until november 9th. to cancel the CI package if I choose to do so.

I tried to cancel during free preview on the first day of the season, mostly so I could switch over to the three month plan and they hassled me about it. They finally took it off, but I only think because it was in free preview, even though the letter said the same. The free preview remained and I resubscribed and paid the extra $20 but now I'm trying to see what the cost of moving to D* and keeping E* just for c.i., hd receiver, and sd dvr (maybe). Any thoughts?

Hmmm ... maybe I should stay with E* a while longer.

Yeah, it goes two ways, although I don't like it. But I will stay for the other reason. Murdoch gave money to Bush and not long ago had a fundraiser fo Clinton.
It should not matter for the decision. For me the breaking point is a free HD DVR from D*. Just tired of buying HD equipment ($650 for HD 6000 model, $150 for HD DVR942, $100 for HD DVR622). Enough for me:). As far as HD, my DVR and 500GB USB storage are close to full and every weekend I am busy deleting unwatched shows.
Among these channels only USAHD for Monk and FX HD for Always Sunny in Ph. will be some interest for me.

i wonder how many people would find it worth while to just purchase out right an hd-dvr from both e* and d*, have both dishes mounted and isntalled, and just swap from service to service as needed. i know e* does not charge an activation fee to restart your purchased equipment as long as you discnonnected in good standing and no tech is required to come out and reinstall. if d* does the same, hten you could just swap from one service to the other dpending on needs(usually around sporting seasons). but thats a lot of investment in euipment. but i am sure there are a lot of people who already do this.

My contract expired long time ago, so I can leave any day. But still waiting. Does D* show all these new channels in Full HD? I am one of those few strange guys that value quality over quantity, so I will not tolerate E* downrezzing for much longer, now that there is a competitor.
I have both and the PQ is much better on D* IMHO. Gonna dump E* as it aint worth keeping for just VOOM.

FYI, Rupert Murdoch has also very publicly held fundraisers for Senator Hillary Clinton.

i wonder how many people would find it worth while to just purchase out right an hd-dvr from both e* and d*, have both dishes mounted and isntalled, and just swap from service to service as needed.

Sounds like a plan! The only thing is Direct requires a 2 year service commitment, not locking you into any specific plan, but just some kind of service. If I switch back to E* then get Setanta through D*. :) Although I've already heard, "There's no way I'll let you put 2 dishes on the side of the house," we'll see.

Why would you have to own your receivers though? Why not just lease or is that not how it goes?

i wonder how many people would find it worth while to just purchase out right an hd-dvr from both e* and d*, have both dishes mounted and isntalled, and just swap from service to service as needed. i know e* does not charge an activation fee to restart your purchased equipment as long as you discnonnected in good standing and no tech is required to come out and reinstall. if d* does the same, hten you could just swap from one service to the other dpending on needs(usually around sporting seasons). but thats a lot of investment in euipment. but i am sure there are a lot of people who already do this.

The problem is, that both DVRs will be obsolete (maybe usable, but in features obsolete) in 2-3 years.

2 year programming req for d* even if you own the equip?? wow. and yeah, equip will always become obsolete. it jsut depends how long until the upgrade goes to mpeg?(fill in your own guess of a number) becomes the new compression format used that will make the current hd rec's go the way of the 811/942 etc.

There is a 2 year programming commitment with D* even if you own your own equipment?

Hmmm...what a choice. Currently greater amount of HD content (yeah, a bit bummed that D* has FX and Cartoon Network); a 2 year commitment, even IF you own your own equipment...

vs.

...a HD DVR that's been out longer and more "proven" in the field; not to mention more storage capacity (no...not counting external USB).

It is really ridiculous. Sci-fi HD, USA HD, and FX HD are obviously more desirable than 10 HD PPV channels or half the stuff Dish has added lately.

I would like to have Speed HD, but Speed's press release says no HD until February, Nascar Race, so if it's upcoverts, who cares until then.

USA and SCI-FI would be ok, but for now, I will take the Voom stuff, so no, they aint getting killed !!!

And there is numerous posts about people with both services, many say no difference and a few say there is !!!

Just because a channel has an HD label, the HD content doesn't just come along !!!! I understand USA is doing some prime time HD, which is great, is SCI-FI ? 1 hour HD content on TWC, 2-3 Hours talk show on CNN-HD.

So what if Dish decides to give 20 misc channels an HD label, up the bitrate, stretch it out, my gosh, we have QVC HD, or BINGO HD, but we have more because we say so.

At least with Voom, you can be assured of a bunch of HD content, and no crapo about repeats, everything on TV repeats unless it's a new season and prime time or a game.

Same thing on Dish with A & E, or the CSI-HD channel.. Or TBS, except a few games, or TNT-Stretcho-vision, except for a few games.

When the HD content gets worth while, then complain. Again, giving an SD channel an HD label, doesn't make it HD. It will certainly look better than the Dish SD conterpart if it's not all stretched out !

NASCAR.COM - SPEED going HD starting with '08 Daytona coverage - Oct 1, 2007

Last edited:
I would like to have Speed HD, but Speed's press release says no HD until February, Nascar Race, so if it's upcoverts, who cares until then.

USA and SCI-FI would be ok, but for now, I will take the Voom stuff, so no, they aint getting killed !!!

And there is numerous posts about people with both services, many say no difference and a few say there is !!!

Just because a channel has an HD label, the HD content doesn't just come along !!!! I understand USA is doing some prime time HD, which is great, is SCI-FI ? 1 hour HD content on TWC, 2-3 Hours talk show on CNN-HD.

So what if Dish decides to give 20 misc channels an HD label, up the bitrate, stretch it out, my gosh, we have QVC HD, or BINGO HD, but we have more because we say so.

At least with Voom, you can be assured of a bunch of HD content, and no crapo about repeats, everything on TV repeats unless it's a new season and prime time or a game.

Same thing on Dish with A & E, or the CSI-HD channel.. Or TBS, except a few games, or TNT-Stretcho-vision, except for a few games.

When the HD content gets worth while, then complain. Again, giving an SD channel an HD label, doesn't make it HD. It will certainly look better than the Dish SD conterpart if it's not all stretched out !

NASCAR.COM - SPEED going HD starting with '08 Daytona coverage - Oct 1, 2007

Thats when their on shows like track side, wind tunnel etc. will go hd, nascar qualifying etc. will be in hd now as its already filmed that way.:) F1 will be in 16:9 SD like what is showed in Canada as its filmed in 16:9 PAL 576i

Picture Quality on TBS hd

Launch Predictions 10/17

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)