D* Vs E*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bagman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Tucker (Atlanta) GA
I have been an E* subscriber for several years. I have the 508 DVR receiver. I am considering switching to D* due to a promotional thru my company (monthly discount). My questions are:
1. For those who have or have seen both, how does the picture quality stack up between the two? Also audio?
2. Can the adult channels be hidden in the Guide on D8 as it can be on E*?

Bagman said:
I have been an E* subscriber for several years. I have the 508 DVR receiver. I am considering switching to D* due to a promotional thru my company (monthly discount). My questions are:
1. For those who have or have seen both, how does the picture quality stack up between the two? Also audio?

PQ on D* and E* is comparable. Looks bad (blurred) on a big screen TV and is fine on regular TVs (32" - 40" ?? and smaller). I never had issues with the audio when I was with E* and D* sounds good, too. Audio is comparable.

Yes, you can remove channels from the guide on D*.

In general, E* and D* are similar for general TV viewing. The thing you really need to figure out is what other extras you're interested in ... HD, DVR quality/features/bugs/updates, future expansion, new sub deals, etc... That's where D* and E* have distinct differences and opinions about these extras will always spark much debate.

Personally, I left E* a little over 2 months ago and haven't looked back. E* continues to drop the ball with everything they do.

With D*, there's been a lot of great stuff happening at lately. I'm totally pleased with their programming and hardware, and I like what I'm hearing from the company, in general, about where they're headed. D* seems like a company ready to take control of this industry.

The picture looks blurred on some big screens worse than others if it is not calibrated correctly. I have also been quite impressed with the picture quality on the SD channels on an HD tv.

Stargazer said:
The picture looks blurred on some big screens worse than others if it is not calibrated correctly. I have also been quite impressed with the picture quality on the SD channels on an HD tv.

I would have to agree. My PQ on a 65" Sony is a LOT better on D* than it was on E*. Im patiently waiting for my Pre-Order HD Tivo to be shipped and then I plan on having HD added to my package. I switched since E* was dropping the ball on everything as well and it appears that they continue to do so.

I left E* less than a month ago and dont ever see myself looking back...

Bagman said:
Our company has begun offering companies free DIRECTV systems as an employee perk. Can you tell us what company you work for and what the deal is?

I see very little difference in the two services in regards to PQ on large screen RPTV's. I had both side by side at my home for a month before I took the D* setup to my lake house. My set is professionally calibrated and it was virtually impossible to tell the difference in PQ from either. I've done blind tests with my neighbor, wife and other friends and nobody can tell the difference between them even when they said they could. They where mistaken constantly when saying D* looked best when they were actually looking at E* and vice-versa.

I'm a customer of both but if I had to make a decision on one or the other, I would choose D* right now because of the company, the hardware and the direction its heading. It wouldnt have anything to do with PQ because there is very little difference in properly calibrated equipment. A good example of this is my neighbor, who just got the 811 deal as a new subscriber to E*. He couldnt believe the difference in PQ on comparable large screen RPTV's. His picture looked like a$$ compared to mine. I took my avia disk over to his house saturday night and even though we arent professionals, after the calibration his PQ improved 10 fold and almost as good as my professionally calibrated set.

I went from DirecTV to digital cable back to DirecTV because on my 65inch HDTV the digital cable looked terrible. D*'s SD picture quality was far superior and still is on almost every channel. I don't see anything blurred unless it's a poor station that films stuff in almost complete darkness (Angel on WB).

As far as PQ from D* vs. E*, I'd lean D*. My parents have had E* for years and I went D*. The D* picture quality is better, but you wouldn't be disappointed with the E* PQ. I'd also go D* for the company as well, at least it's not owned by some leftist media organization.

Thanks to all who responded. Line of sight trumps PQ every time. The D* installer thought he could make it work, but 10 degrees east of Dish was a big wide pine tree!!!I guess I am destined to stay with E*.

That's too bad Bagman, It's a shame you couldn't see how the other half watches tv. all well it's only tv. :)

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Our company has begun offering companies free DIRECTV systems as an employee perk. Can you tell us what company you work for and what the deal is?
Sigh. My company every month in our newsletter always has a column called "Your Second Paycheck" highlighting some of our benifits. Past topics have included the company paying our Social Security Tax (their half they are REQUIRED to pay...not our half) and Workmen's comp... :rolleyes: I think we have no chance of ever seeing anything like this.

cdru said:
Sigh. My company every month in our newsletter always has a column called "Your Second Paycheck" highlighting some of our benifits. Past topics have included the company paying our Social Security Tax (their half they are REQUIRED to pay...not our half) and Workmen's comp... :rolleyes: I think we have no chance of ever seeing anything like this.

Like your getting a 2nd pay check for something they must pay by law? Idiots... 0_o

Bagman said:
Thanks to all who responded. Line of sight trumps PQ every time. The D* installer thought he could make it work, but 10 degrees east of Dish was a big wide pine tree!!!I guess I am destined to stay with E*.
Just curious but couldn't he move the dish elsewhere. Considering that D* 101 position comes in at a higher elevation not only on this sat but all three come in at a higher elevation? :confused:

If Dolby Digital is of concern to you, I would find out if D* ever got it fixed, from what I've read at AVSForum, they're still complaining about it not working right. I don't know if it's just HD related or not.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:

Is this something many companies offer???

Hi there 2 questions what is D & E stand for Directv and Echostar?? and also you spoke of an Avia disk?, what is this?
MrDRC said:
I see very little difference in the two services in regards to PQ on large screen RPTV's. I had both side by side at my home for a month before I took the D* setup to my lake house. My set is professionally calibrated and it was virtually impossible to tell the difference in PQ from either. I've done blind tests with my neighbor, wife and other friends and nobody can tell the difference between them even when they said they could. They where mistaken constantly when saying D* looked best when they were actually looking at E* and vice-versa.

I'm a customer of both but if I had to make a decision on one or the other, I would choose D* right now because of the company, the hardware and the direction its heading. It wouldnt have anything to do with PQ because there is very little difference in properly calibrated equipment. A good example of this is my neighbor, who just got the 811 deal as a new subscriber to E*. He couldnt believe the difference in PQ on comparable large screen RPTV's. His picture looked like a$$ compared to mine. I took my avia disk over to his house saturday night and even though we arent professionals, after the calibration his PQ improved 10 fold and almost as good as my professionally calibrated set.

The use of E* to refer to Dish Network and D* to refer to DirectTV dates from a time when there were additional companies providing direct to home satellite TV services and peoples desire to abbreviate the company names. The major players were AlphaStar, Primestar, Dish Network (parent company is EchoStar) and DirectTV. It made sense to abbreviate the first three to A*, P* and E*. DirectTV was abbreviated to D* to be consistent with the other companies and because the abbreviation DTV could also refer to Digital TV.

Avia Guide to Home Theater is a DVD that can help you to adjust your TV to provide the best, most accurate picture possible without using specialized equipment. It also will help you to set up a Home Theater audio system that you may have connected. There is another DVD titled Digital Video Essentials produced by another company that serves the same purpose. Both are available from most online DVD retailers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)