DA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markbone100

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
IL
Think I need to look for a support group for "dishes anonomous." Even though I had to (forcefully) turn down a 6ft dish, I did happen to come across some baby 74e dishes that were abandoned and all alone :(

In my travels as a cable guy, I have found a trailer park that has a number of them left abandoned in empty lots and behind empty trailers. Sadly they all have had their LNB's yanked off for scrap but the dish and arm are all there. Got 1 of them so next time around I will look harder and see how many are there. Might be a couple still behind occupied trailers so ill ask them for permission first. One has been cracked about 50% horizontally down the middle so im not sure if it can be fixed or not.

But, I did find a couple more closer that still have the lnb and feedhorn cover to check. I got the permission to grab one this evening so ill dig it up this weekend.

It's tough.........even tougher when you find some that are inevitably going to be scrapped but because it is some government office they are not allowed to just give them away. I found a couple of really nice ones last year just sitting down beside a gov't building, obviously used and removed. Nice sturdy Ku band dishes in good shape with heavy duty commercial mounts etc. So I asked the lady in charge about them and she confirmed that they were indeed no longer needed but she could not authorize me to take them and didn't know what they were going to do with them. I told her to let me know if she found out. I never did get a call and I have been there since then and they are gone...........what a waste!

I mentioned this once before in another thread. I found one sitting on the ground in a DOT yard, fenced in and I left a couple of notes on the gate but a year later never received any replies to my notes.

One day while out \driving I spotted a DOT truck and pulled over and asked the guy about the yard and the dish.

He gave me the name of a person to contact, so I went in person rather than call. We had a VERY interesting conversation about his having to "scrap" the dish out (1.2 Patriot), then about a week later I got a phone call from him asking for directions to my house. He drove in with the dish on the back of his truck, asked me to sign a delivery slip, which I did, and he left the dish here.

That dish is now used for SES 101W and has several other LNBs on it, but I haven't alligned them yet, still in the planning stage on that.

Photto

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts