Damages

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
Just rented season 1..I'm a few episodes in and I'm pretty much hooked. Season 2 starts tommorow night. I wish E* would get with the program so I could see it in HD!

The cast looks good, but I am just so tired of lawyer and doctor shows. I love Hugh Laurie, but cannot bring myself to watch House.

In fact, that is one of the reasons I like Sons of Anarchy, because it is about a group of people not usually featured by a TV show.

In fact, I'd probably watch a series about auto mechanics even if they weren't bikers ;) .

The cast looks good, but I am just so tired of lawyer and doctor shows. I love Hugh Laurie, but cannot bring myself to watch House.

It's really not a typical lawyer show. It's really more personality oriented. Ditto on House!

In fact, that is one of the reasons I like Sons of Anarchy, because it is about a group of people not usually featured by a TV show.

In fact, I'd probably watch a series about auto mechanics even if they weren't bikers ;) .

The main characters are lawyers, but it really isn't a lawyer show.

Wish Dish would hurry up and add FXHD, had to watch Son's online and now Damages. I agree it's not really a lawyer show, recommend checking out season 1 on DVD.

I loved Damages last year, cant wait for it to get going. And man, the FXHD shows look very good. Anyone not seeing the first season really should watch it first.

I'm all caught up on Season 1.....can't wait for tonights episode! Looks like a promising season based on Episode 1.

I watched the pilot...

How can a show be boringly conventional, and yet be really weird at the same time ? Watch "Damages". ;)

Spoilers follow, but it looks like virtually everyone has seen the pilot (and I did read some of the Wikipedia entry to confirm where it was going).

It is cute and clever that the show appears to be "bright young lawyer joins altruistic law firm and each week they save another kitten.... er, group wronged by the wealthy" (since this is similar to the plot of Leverage, the viewer is going to assume that) - but that is a "red herring" and it goes in the opposite direction.

Instead Glenn Close reprises her famous movie role, i.e. being secretly evil rather than just "bad".

The problem for me is that I don't watch lawyer shows partially because I share Shakespeare's view of them.

By the end of the pilot, I care nothing about any of the characters, and would like to see them all in jail at the earliest opportunity.

So, how is that different from other shows about bad people, like Sons of Anarchy ?

Well, for one thing, the pilot of Damages shares with the pilot of Fringe of being really sssssllllllllooooooowwwwww (which frankly is true of most primetime TV dramas).

The in-between "color" scenes did not make me interested in anything going on, or any of the people. I think that certainly can depend on what the individual considers interesting, but it certainly did not have the quality of, for example, Lost, where the characters could be interesting reading the phone book. ;)

In the case of Sons of Anarchy, the characters are more unusual and colorful, and are interesting just from that.

The fact that the Ted Danson character continues throughout the series, would seem to give the show the characteristic of a movie expanded into a series, in the sense that what looked to be just the plot of the pilot, is actually the plot for the whole series.

PS Some of the same criticisms apply to Mad Men, and if I were looking for one more series, I would choose that instead, simply because it adds the entertainment of seeing the early 60's reproduced.

So, the story is clever (I can see why critics liked it), but it doesn't hold any attractions for me.

As always, movies, TV and music are mostly personal taste, and no one should let someone else's opinion diminish their own enjoyment.

Season 3 started last night. Don't forget to set your timers. Looks like a promising season, but I don't think they'll ever be able to recreate the masterpiece that was season 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)