Dan rather on hdnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I was watching the tail end of his show tonight and caught a rather sobering and somewhat disgruntling stastitic, the average ceo now makes 400 times that of the average worker wich 20 times higher than in 1965.

The average ceo probably is at least 400 times more responsible for making sure the company is profitable than is the average worker.

:tux: I would agrea if the company was small and he or she did the job of 100 people but there's so much more responsibility that takes place below the ceo that if he / she were to drop off the face of the earth the company would still run. Granted they are responsible for some heavy decisions but without the rest of the upper management as well as the middle and the lower management and the self managing that each non management employee does then a ceo is nothing more than a suit.

As society and modern economics move on you will probably see more slave wages and richer CEO's.

Granted a CEO has a huge responsibility and needs to be very talented at management and marketing, I would have to feel that many of them are not worth what they get paid.

Rather made over a million dollars per year to read his faked "news" reports at CBS, and still makes 100s of times what an average worker does. And he could not even remember that when he faked documents from 1971 to use a typewriter, not a PC.

The 100 top paid employees at every "big" business could work for free and it would not affect the bottom line price or the earnings of the company. It is a matter between the employee and the owners (stockholders) and none of anybody else's business.

What bout the CEO's leading their companies into failures getting large golden parachutes to leave? If I screw up in my job, I get to fight to even get unemployment. when they fire me.

Theres an RV manufacturer in either north or south Carolina where the ceo takes a salary thats the same as the people working on the line so he makes $60k a year just like they do. The news story about it was on about 6 or 8 years ago and the company was doing very well.

when ben & jerrys was privately owned they had a policy where the top paid employees couldnt make more then 10 times that of the lowest paid employees

Folks, it doesnt matter what top end "salaries" are. Most executives have stock and other incentive packages that far exceed their offical salary. Howard Stern was given a $200 million stock bonus for hitting his subscriber goal. Salaries are chick feed compared to other compensation.

How about the Lehman Bros. CEO who in under 10 years took out over $500,000,000 in pay, options, parachute, etc.? Does the Board of Directors wonder if having back some of his excessive pay might have made a difference in LB's survival??

Who needs that kind of money to survive and flourish?? Some CEO's benefits have gone beyond anything other than pure greed. It's outrageous when you consider that some of these companies lose millions while the CEO just takes the money home. Yeah, that's responsibility for sure!

Who comes up with all these benefits/pay, the compensation committee that's made up of board menbers of that company. So those board members, who the majority of the time executives at other companies, have their compensation set by their companies compensation committee. So basically they each end up pushing up the salary for each other (scratch my back and I'll scratch yours). And in all the years that I worked I never saw someone get fired and get paid a big bonus for leaving. If you got fired for cause you didn't even get the regular severance package, you were out the door with a box for the stuff in your desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts