Danger when standing in front of Hughesnet dish

Elchucko

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Full time RVer
About a year ago, a Motosat installer told me that since a Hughesnet system will stop transmitting as soon as the receive signal is lost, the danger of a person being harmed when in the path of the signal, is minimal.

I know that the signal is not directly in front of an offset dish, but about 23° above.

I would like to hear comments about this statement.

Thanks in advance.

Well, he's right and he's wrong. Yes, RX signal loss results in the modem disabling TX. But standing in front of the dish isn't likely to cause RX loss. That said, 1 or 2 watts of RF out there ain't gonna hurt ya anyway. Consider that handheld radios (FRS, CB, etc) put out up to 5 watts, or that you're radiating right into your skull every time you use a cell phone. Anyway. If there's anyplace you might not want to dangle the family jewelry, it's probably in that small gap between the feedhorn and the dish.

//greg//

Last edited:
That said, 1 or 2 watts of RF out there ain't gonna hurt ya anyway.
You should start a letter-writing campaign to the manufacturers of pacemakers if that's the case. They don't want you using cordless or wireless phones on the same side of your body as the ICD.

Man, some people hold a grudge. I did not say that you "carry" a FCC license, I simply stated that the FCC, in the end oversees HNS's spectrum (as they do any wave). And, that is the reason you need a licensed installer. And, in my opinion, you can get "sick"at the least. While running a manual ACP test for the NOCC on a 1.2M antenna with a 2W OSIRUS TG head (where the polarization adjusted at the head in front of the antenna) for approximately 30 minutes, with a cell phone to my ear, I got a real bad headache, and after a little longer threw up. Grohgreg, lighten up.
You wish.
But I am still waiting for Zogman to produce his (or anybody's) alleged FCC license to install HughesNet equipment

//greg//

And, that is the reason you need a licensed installer.
No FCC radio operator license is required for the installer.

You need to be certified, but that doesn't confer or extend you an FCC license of any kind.

Some jurisdictions require low voltage electrical licenses for satellite installers, but that's an entirely different can of worms.

That's the reason I don't log on to this site anymore than I do. Instead of people logically discussing broadband satellite, they misconstrue and warp what you say, then attack you. Real friendly constructive atmosphere here. I'll check back in a month or so.

That's the reason I don't log on to this site anymore than I do. Instead of people logically discussing broadband satellite, they misconstrue and warp what you say, then attack you. Real friendly constructive atmosphere here. I'll check back in a month or so.
A respected installer from Oasis Networks offered a very honest and revealing tale on this site yesterday (posted 6/30). I'd call it "recommended reading".

//greg//

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)