Dark Knight audio

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
Not sure if this is true for all players but for my Panasonic, the Dark Knight disc starts right into the movie with no menu to look at. When I first watched it I did not think much of it other than the center channel seem quiet and I had to really crank it to be able to hear dialog. Of course this mad everything else really shake the house.
After the movie I pulled up the DVD menu to find that the disc automatically starts in Dolby digital and not Dolby TrueHD 5.1, I re-watched the movie in True HD and the audio was very much improved.

Not sure if this is true for all players but for my Panasonic, the Dark Knight disc starts right into the movie with no menu to look at. When I first watched it I did not think much of it other than the center channel seem quiet and I had to really crank it to be able to hear dialog. Of course this mad everything else really shake the house.
After the movie I pulled up the DVD menu to find that the disc automatically starts in Dolby digital and not Dolby TrueHD 5.1, I re-watched the movie in True HD and the audio was very much improved.

How did you make it throughout the movie without noticing it wasn't lossless? Usually I can tell right away. :)

Long story short movie started, I was hung over and it pisses my wife off every time I fiddle adjust channels, mess with the color or stop the movie etc. So I sat through it thinking the sound should have been a lot better:eek:
It was bad the other day, I had a HDMI cable go bad in the middle of watching Wall E. Her attitude changes for the worse if my expensive toys don't work correctly.

Long story short movie started, I was hung over and it pisses my wife off every time I fiddle adjust channels, mess with the color or stop the movie etc. So I sat through it thinking the sound should have been a lot better:eek:
It was bad the other day, I had a HDMI cable go bad in the middle of watching Wall E. Her attitude changes for the worse if my expensive toys don't work correctly.

Sounds like you are married to my wife's long lost twin. ;)

Lol! :)

I wonder if Blu-Rays will eventually use the highest lossless track as the default. It's kind of a hassle to go into the menu and change the audio track manually every time before a movie.

Why can't the disc just divert back to lossy if it detects that the user doesn't have the proper receiver?

Unfortunately, Warner defaults straight into the movie. It's not a player issue. One of these days they will make lossless the default audio as well, then I wouldn't mind it so much.

S~

NewLine default is lossy too. Watched Stargate- the original with James Spader and Kurt Russell. Fortunately it starts with a menu screen giving you a chance to choose. Imagine all those who don't know better.

I was just talking with the wife about lossless audio and blu-ray over dinner last night. We were wondering how many people owning a Blu-Ray player even know about lossless and BD's capability of advanced sound. I bet there's a lot of people out there that don't even know about lossless and the requirements to achieve it. I bet a lot of them just think BD's one advantage is just an increase in picture quality and that's it.

You make a good point, but then I would HOPE that someone sophisticated enough to make the investment in the audio system needed to make the sound difference would also know to check the default setting in the set-up screen, especially if they hear a less-than-expected performance when the disk starts. But like others, I welcome the day when lossless will be the default...

If DD or DTS is the best they ever heard they would not know about lossless if they watch Warner

Plus, Blu-Ray's DD or DTS sounds better than SD DVD's DD or DTS. It's even possible that some think this improvement is "the increased sound" that Blu Rays are capable of.

hmmmm My horton hear a who starts in the dolby true HD I dont have to do a thing.

ummmm "Horton Hears a Who" is a Fox title and uses DTS Master which is the default since there is no need for an accompanying lossless audio track. The core is simply extracted when necessary.

S~

It does jump right into the movie; and I had to change the sound to lossless manually.

It took a long time to get used to the imax'd full16:9 then swap back to the letterbox. I am not sure I liked that.

ummmm "Horton Hears a Who" is a Fox title and uses DTS Master which is the default since there is no need for an accompanying lossless audio track. The core is simply extracted when necessary.

S~

sorry I was responding to HDMM who said he wishes Bluray wouldl default to highest level of audio, thought I quoted him...also I have another one that defaults to Dolby Digital True HD when put in, I will have to look and see (also getting the wrong codec serves me right for typing a message as I am running out the door to the hospital for a ultrasound :) ).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts