Daytona 500

smurph

Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Currently in an RV park on the gulf in Texas. We have a Dish Network home account in IA where local channels are transmitted via spot beam. Since we are traveling and well outside the spot beam, I called Dish to see about Distant Network. They promptly told me NO as we have locals in our home base package. Usually, we can get local channels OTA in our travels, but Corpus Christi has lousy signal strength. Fox Sports is covering the Daytona 500 this year, but we're SOL as far as getting it on either Dish or OTA. Anyone know of any other options to get Fox Sports other than find a bar with a big screen or change to Direct?

Currently in an RV park on the gulf in Texas. We have a Dish Network home account in IA where local channels are transmitted via spot beam. Since we are traveling and well outside the spot beam, I called Dish to see about Distant Network. They promptly told me NO as we have locals in our home base package. Usually, we can get local channels OTA in our travels, but Corpus Christi has lousy signal strength. Fox Sports is covering the Daytona 500 this year, but we're SOL as far as getting it on either Dish or OTA. Anyone know of any other options to get Fox Sports other than find a bar with a big screen or change to Direct?

Change your service address to the RV park.

Thought about that, but will I then lose locals at our house? Our son is living there while we travel.

probably, but he uses our Dish DVR to record all the shows he misses while at work. I wouldn't want to do that to him just to watch one race......I only wish there was a way to get DNS for a month or two and it sounds like that's not possible with Dish's DNS woes!

probably, but he uses our Dish DVR to record all the shows he misses while at work. I wouldn't want to do that to him just to watch one race......I only wish there was a way to get DNS for a month or two and it sounds like that's not possible with Dish's DNS woes!

If you apply in advance of your trips you can probably get an RV waiver.

Thanks for your replies. Are RV waivers availble through Dish or did I read somewhere that they make you go through American Direct or a company with a similar sounding name?

You get DNS through All American Direct. You need to fill out a form that's available online and fax it to them along with a copy of your RV registration.

The local Fox station in Corpus does not broadcast in HD, let alone digital right now (not until after the changeover). Depending on how far north of Corpus you are, you might be able to pickup the Houston or Victoria Fox stations. Houston for sure is HD and I belive Victoria's is as well. I personally will try to get the Victoria station with a big UHF antenna (might be this weekend's project).

I believe that Austin, San Antonio, and Houston stations are in the spot beam that reaches Corpus. You could change your address for a few days, then change it back afterwards. My experience with the Customer Support Reps is they don't seem to care about changing service address.

Miner

I wish you were my parents. I'm jealous of your boy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts