DB4 or Channel Master CM 3677 Ultra Hi-Crossfire

Dodge Ram Nut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
Mizzourah
Hi there! I have a Sony 40 inch HD tv. I have been researching to death for OTA antennas so I can pull in my locals in HD and at some point in the future, upgrade my current E* reciever to receive HD programming as well. I actually have an antenna in the attic (was with the home when purchased) and I discovered it is not VHF compatible (or I cant figure out why I cant get this ONE ABC vhf channel in HD, but can in analog).

I'm sorta stuck between 2 antennas. I'd like to ask for your input/advice. My local Best Buy has online a DB4 antenna. I admit, it looks nice and will suite my needs up in the attic. On Bestbuy website, it claims (copy n paste): Midrange UHF/VHF antenna receives HDTV signals within a range of approximately 55 miles. Is this true? Does it ACTUALLY pull in VHF?

I am also considering Channel Master CM 3677 Ultra Hi-Crossfire TV Antenna because I NEED the VHF. I also want to get rid of the old ratty antenna and replace with either one of these. All of my locals are under 25 miles. Below is TV Fool for my locals. I checked antennaweb and the ONE ABC channel is RED and in VHF.

Would the DB4 work for VHF or would I be better going the 3677 route? Thanks once again for your help/input.

Attachments

• Radar-Digital.png
    Radar-Digital.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 353
Hi there! I have a Sony 40 inch HD tv. I have been researching to death for OTA antennas so I can pull in my locals in HD and at some point in the future, upgrade my current E* reciever to receive HD programming as well. I actually have an antenna in the attic (was with the home when purchased) and I discovered it is not VHF compatible (or I cant figure out why I cant get this ONE ABC vhf channel in HD, but can in analog).

I'm sorta stuck between 2 antennas. I'd like to ask for your input/advice. My local Best Buy has online a DB4 antenna. I admit, it looks nice and will suite my needs up in the attic. On Bestbuy website, it claims (copy n paste): Midrange UHF/VHF antenna receives HDTV signals within a range of approximately 55 miles. Is this true? Does it ACTUALLY pull in VHF?

I am also considering Channel Master CM 3677 Ultra Hi-Crossfire TV Antenna because I NEED the VHF. I also want to get rid of the old ratty antenna and replace with either one of these. All of my locals are under 25 miles. Below is TV Fool for my locals. I checked antennaweb and the ONE ABC channel is RED and in VHF.

Would the DB4 work for VHF or would I be better going the 3677 route? Thanks once again for your help/input.

You might be able to get away with the CM4228, but after looking at your attachment the VHF 7 at 2kw will kill you. I've seen the CM4228 pick up RF 8 at 30 miles but it was 17kw. Make sure you get a good VHF antenna.

You might be able to get away with the CM4228, but after looking at your attachment the VHF 7 at 2kw will kill you. I've seen the CM4228 pick up RF 8 at 30 miles but it was 17kw. Make sure you get a good VHF antenna.

Ok my question - why would the VHF 7 operate at such low kws? All the others are like way into the hundreds. Why or why not are they doing this at only 2kw? Im still sorta "wet behind the ears" on this particular thing.

Would this mean I would need to get a "STAR TREK ANTENNA" antenna just to be able to get the 2kw? If thats the case, then I will not spend that kinda money just to try to get the 1 channel. It seems kinda silly tho, that local station is like maybe 15 miles from me where the crow flies.

Thanks!

Ok my question - why would the VHF 7 operate at such low kws? All the others are like way into the hundreds. Why or why not are they doing this at only 2kw? Im still sorta "wet behind the ears" on this particular thing.

Would this mean I would need to get a "STAR TREK ANTENNA" antenna just to be able to get the 2kw? If thats the case, then I will not spend that kinda money just to try to get the 1 channel. It seems kinda silly tho, that local station is like maybe 15 miles from me where the crow flies.

Thanks!

The lower you go in the spectrum the lower the power required to reach the customers. The lower the channel power required the lower the $$$$ every month for the power bill.

I'm not sure what you are calling a Star Trek antenna.

I did look up the station on the FCC website and it shows them at 85kw...not sure who is correct here. Check with others in your areas, and you also might read up on the OTA thread for your DMA at Avsforums.

The DB4 will have pretty much no chance of receiving that station. Check with the folks in your area, they should be able to recommend the antenna.

Another fact for OTA, if you put it indoors you can basically cut the antennas gain by half.

If FCC database is correct - KMBC-DT ch9 @ 85kW, the CM4228 should do for you.

4228 has twice the power of the DB4 on UHF and it has acceptable reception characteristics on VHF-high channels (+3dB on channel 9).

Before you buy an antenna, you might try and build one yourself. It is quite easy and cheap if you are a little handy with tools. This link has all the details about how to build a replica of the DB4 or the CM4228 for just a couple of dollars. DIY HDTV antenna - Lumenlab

The 4228 is a good antenna. Heck I have the 4221 and it does a good job with analog VHF as low as 6. If the signal is as strong as some are saying you should be OK with it. I will mention that it does not have a particularly wide beam width but your channels seem to be close together so the 4228 will probably be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)