DBS Diplexer with amplified OTA Antenna?

PoitNarf

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Northern NJ
I'm looking into purchasing an antenna to receive HDTV broadcasts, and will probably go with an amplified antenna. The best place for me to mount it is right next to my directv dish, but here's the problem: I have already permanently run coax lines from the dish to my house; coax lines are now in conduit pipe and buried under my lawn. Obviously a diplexer is the solution, but I am not sure how they work with an amplified antenna. I'll be using a diplexer at the dish to combine the antenna and directv signals on just one of my coax runs; only going to have HD on one tv. After that I suppose I'll use another diplexer at the end of the coax run to my HDTV. In this type of a setup, where would the amplifier for the antenna go? Before or after the diplexer at my tv? Also are all diplexers created equal? Are some diplexers ok with an amplified antenna and some are not? Any suggestions as to a model of diplexer I should go with for this type of a setup?

Thanks.

I'll probably go with the Winegard SS-2000. Most of the stations I want to get are located about 22 miles away at 182 degrees (NYC stations). I have since decided that I should just try to run a new coax line from the antenna to the tv; seen too many diplexer horror stories on this forum heh. Anyone have any success stories with this antenna in the NYC broadcast area?

NYC is very complex to get OTA signal (depending where you are in NYC). First you need a clear shot to the ESB, otherwise it will be very difficult. The ESB will give you Fox-HD, UPN (not HD but digital, it looks bad anyway), CBS, & WB (transmitting at very low power and only a few can get it). NBC and ABC are not in the ESB and are transmitting at low power but if you point to the ESB, you may get lucky with NBC and ABC. You can forget about channel 13 PBS unless you are in a special area. I know nobody who can get it and only read that a few can.

Clear shot to the Empire State Building is no issue for me. House is on a hill in northern NJ, no obstructions at all. Crossing my fingers on good signal strength, hehe. Again, anyone with experience with the Winegard SS-2000 in the NYC broadcasting area?

When I read the specs on the SquareShooter I was not impressed. It looks only good for urban installs. Winegard doesn't even list it in their chart showing what antennas to buy. Also, did you notice how low VHF is on it? Even if you are buying it for UHF and maybe only UHF, and if that is the case, maybe you should get a dedicated UHF antenna? I am right at 28-29 miles from all the local UHF and VHF transmitters and I wouldn't consider the SS. I am looking at their PR-7105 antenna. I currently have a 30yo antenna in the attic that I am considering upgrading for better UHF performance. Will see after I get my 811 in the morning and go from there.

i'll thow in my 2 cents on the winegard sensar - non amplified version.. I am 20-25 miles outside of cincinnati and it works like a champ for me - never had a problem with it.

jim

Technologically speaking.. if you're using an amplified antenna.. wouldn't he need a pair of diplexors with both sides power passing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)