DD sound problem with Adelphia SA 8300

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Now the thing has stopped passing any 5.1 sound. All sound coming out of it is in regular stereo no matter if I use the coax or the optical. I double checked to make sure it's not my receiver by plugging in my dvd player to the same input the 8300 is on and it plays 5.1 just fine.

I looked in the 8300's menu settings and saw nothing having to do with sound output being digital or pcm or anything like that.

Anyone know what's going on? Is it adelphia again??!?!?!?

Ilya said:
Have you tried unplugging it?

yeah, that finally did it. Aside from that, it seems like the software on it is missing some things. According to adelphia's CSR, in the settings menu there should be an option for audio settings where you can select digital or stereo. It seems it's missing on mine. Can anyone confirm whether it's supposed to be there or not?

I have to say, it's very annoying having this for less than 2 weeks and having a problem with it every other day.

lostcause said:
According to adelphia's CSR, in the settings menu there should be an option for audio settings where you can select digital or stereo...
I'll have to check when I get home.
You are pressing the Setting button twice, aren't you? ;)

Ilya said:
I'll have to check when I get home.
You are pressing the Setting button twice, aren't you? ;)

umm...yeah. Come on now....give me a little credit here.

For the love of god and all things sacred and holy, NOW WHAT THE F**K?!?!?!?!?!?

So I turn my tv on and now all of my HD locals are gone. Black screen on all of them. Had adelphia for less than 2 weeks and I've almost spent more time on the phone with their tech support than I have watching tv!!!

At this very moment I'm sacrificing chickens and a goats to the great condo commando gods and praying that they will vote to allow satellite dishes during the board meeting next week. Even if they approve it, I don't know what I'm going to do about dish requiring 2 dishes, but no matter what, I'm sure it can't be worse than adelphia. I had them several years ago. They were horrible back then and they have obviously not improved one single bit.

I got the SA8300HD a few days ago and glad to say I have it pretty well figured out thanks to the helpful manuals on the SA8300HD at http://www.scientificatlanta.com/explorerclub/default.asp
I recommed going there and printing out relative info on the unit, it has everything.

Regarding audio: If you are using HDMI/DVI the unit is will automatically select a 2 channel sterio configuration (as all TVs do not support Dolby) You may override this setting by: Pressing SETTINGS twice,select AUDIO:Digital Out,Select DOLBY, Press ACEPT,EXIT...

This thing ain't TIVO, but its not bad once you get use to it... I like the ASPECT options for screen size if you have the unit properly set to PASS THRU on connections other than HDMI/DVI (atuomatic), but having the other inputs properly set for pass thru is crucial to optimal viewing...

Oh well, VOOM is dead, now I have something new to play with....

My VOOM OTA is getting real week signals now and is useless... tried re scanning several times and even specific RFs and nothing over 56%, when VOOM was alive it was at 96%... don't know why, does anybody...???>>>!!!

gonzalez6653 said:
Regarding audio: If you are using HDMI/DVI the unit is will automatically select a 2 channel sterio configuration (as all TVs do not support Dolby) You may override this setting by: Pressing SETTINGS twice,select AUDIO:Digital Out,Select DOLBY, Press ACEPT,EXIT...

That's the problem with my particular pile of crap. It doesn't have that setting anywhere in the menu. Believe me, I've checked. The only audio option I have is to set volume to fixed or variable. That's it.

Have you tried going throught the 'TV connection setup' routine again? According to the manual mentioned above, With the DVR powered off, press guide and info at the same time, and go thought the setup procedure.

Probably will not help, but worth a shot

lostcause said:
Now the thing has stopped passing any 5.1 sound...
A similar problem happened to my 8300 a few days ago. It suddenly stopped passing DD sound over optical cable. Strangely enough, all HD channels continued working (sounding) fine, while all SD channels went silent. Turning the box off would not help.

After playing with settings for some time I have found a solution that worked for me: I switched "Audio: Volume Ctrl" from Fixed to Variable, saved the settings and then switched it back to Fixed again. This took care of the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts