Ddoes anyone use an RCA OTA antenna? Others?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Hi, I'm wondering what experiences people have had using OTA antennas to supplement their satellite channels. I don't get my local channels, so I decided to see what would come in over the air and so I plugged in an old pair of rabbit ears into the back of the tv. I was AMAZED at just how many channels the ears picked up. In no time at all I found myself watching local news OTA that I had become accustomed to with cable. In any case, the picture wasn't THAT great unless I fiddled with the ears and put them on my tv BUT I don't want to have to do that and the ears just don't look right sitting on my 50" plasma. lol :eek: _|__|_

So, I am thinking of spending a LITTLE bit of money on an external antenna. I figure if it is outside the house and up high, it will probably beat my rabbit ears. I saw at Radio Shack an RCA antenna that looked like a long flat cricket bat. (I don't know how else to describe it, about 4 feet long, 6 inches wide, gray, flattish, and looks like it is designed to affix under the eave of a roof.) _|__|_Does anyone have this model? Experience? Does it work well? Will it beat the rabbit ears? Any other suggestions? Product recommendations? Thanks, Rob :)

Last edited:
To select an antenna that's right for you you need to take into account where you are in relation to the transmitters, whether the stations are on VHF or UHF, what power they are transmittin at, and what sort of terrain is between you and the transmitters. Ignore all the marketing hype about HD antennas, antennas having a "range of 75 miles", antennas that look like flying saucers and so on.
Start by going to www.antennaweb.org. Antennaweb uses your address and a datebase of information about terrain, and about all the TV stations. Input your exact address. You will get a list of stations showing color code, distance, direction, channel number and so on. Copy and paste the results into your reply to this post. Then we can give you good advice based on real-world experience.

Start by going to www.antennaweb.org. Antennaweb uses your address and a datebase of information about terrain, and about all the TV stations. Input your exact address. You will get a list of stations showing color code, distance, direction, channel number and so on. Copy and paste the results into your reply to this post. Then we can give you good advice based on real-world experience.

I probably should have mentioned that I wasn't talking about HDTV, just regular TV. I live in Ottawa Canada and I don't think I get any HDTV OTA here. (what can I say, we are behind the times) Anyhow, all of my post relates to regular TV, so any suggestions?

I found this information regarding TV antennas in Ottawa, but I have to admit it is all giberish to me. Can anyone decipher all the mumbo jumbo and tell me what to buy from radio shack???

-Rob :confused:

UHF & VHF

Denny writes: "The best antenna for UHF reception is a log periodic antenna (parallel polarized), essentially as the frequency increases the smaller elements act as a the radiator, the ones in back as reflectors and the ones in front as directors. This antenna has a high Q and very good gain on all UHF freqencies, it may designed as a 300 ohm impedance, fitted with a balun to convert it to 75 ohms or designed to 75 ohms from the start. This antenna is very directional and requires a a rotor.
The best VHF antenna would be the same log periodic antenna, however this might be out of the realm of the amateur antenna maker. The dipole utilizing a section of 300 ohm twinlead works quite well with for both VHF and FM radio.

Aluminum foil can be used also, if put on a wall at ceiling level and covered with wall paper or paper it makes an excellent antenna, this may also be used for low power transmitters with an impedance matcher (combination of variable inductance and capacitance)to arrive at a low standing wave ratio.

An excellent reference is The Amateur Radio Antenna Manual, this is in most libraries."

Paul writes: "I have modified a 300 ohm cable to receive TV stations in Ottawa. The 300 ohm cable was cut down the middle and used as a large dipole antenna. It receives VHF channels very well without any ghosting. Unfortunaltey, it can only pick up VHF channels (CBC 4 to CTV 13). Using an antenna, do you know if anyone in Ottawa has been able to receive TVO (UHF channel 24) or PBS (UHF channel 57)? If so, do you know the antenna set up that was used?"
Guy writes: "UHF stations can be recieved with a cheap little UHF antenna. It's just a wire loop about 8" in diameter. TVO and others come in perfectly."
Martin writes: "Global has a tower in Bancroft (ch. 2). WCFE 57 (PBS) Plattsburgh can be easily received with any yagi antenna (very strong signal). Global on Channel 27 is in Peterborough (1,130 KW). Channel 7 is CBS - Watertown. WNPI/WNPE (ch. 18/16), Watertown, Norwood. PBS (channel 18 is usually stronger). CKWS (CBC Kingston) has two low powered transmitter (very weak signal): ch.26 (Brockville), ch. 36 (Smiths Falls).
David Liebold writes:

Regarding section on off-air television alternatives, here is a list of off-air channels in Ottawa/Outaouais:
4 CBOT (CBC)
6 Global
9 CBOFT (Radio-Canada)
11 CH
13 CJOH (CTV)
14 (Omni 2 expected to go on air soon)
24 TVOntario
30 Tele-Quebec
32 CTS
34 CFGS (TQS)
40 CHOT (TVA)
43 New RO (CHRO)
60 Omni 1
65 City TV

This list does not include out-of-town signals such as Watertown NY (PBS, etc).

There's also supposed to be a retransmitter of CKWS Kingston in Smiths Falls, although I have not been able to pick that up (may be too weak to see in the Ottawa market).

For some strange reason, I'm seeing Global on channel 27. Not sure if this is the result of a hardware glitch or if Global runs a strong channel 27 transmitter elsewhere in eastern Ontario.

As far as the one comment about using 300-ohm "twin-lead" cable for an antenna, this can work well on many channels but one has to consider "wavelengths" of TV frequencies. Wavelengths get smaller as the TV channels get higher.

It may be better to purchase an amplified "rabbit ear" and loop type
antenna for local reception. A Jensen amplified indoor antenna pulls in the UHF channels better than unamplified rabbit ears or loops. Haven't tried the bigger antennae such as the "giant smoke detector" units that retail at Radio Shack and elsewhere, but have heard these can work well. However, I have not yet been able to pick up signals outside the Ottawa region such as Watertown.

Outdoor antennas will generally be better than indoors. Also, the higher the antenna off the ground, the better

Since you're offering, here's the result I got from AntennaWeb. Recommendations are much appreciated.

47b6cc28b3127cce8fc1eb2629fc00000016102EYtWLVm1Y4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts