Dead hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gpguitarman1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2014
This started early this morning. I have a Hopper 3. While watching TV, either live or a recorded show, after a few minutes, the screen goes black. Changing channels brings the screen back. Obviously, I tried rebooting and unplugging it several times, to no avail. The software is 309, so, nothing new there. I need help ASAP!

Last edited:
I think everybody's Hopper 3's were acting a little strange early this morning. Hopefully it's squared away now.

Reactions: bluegras
It just went to a black screen again as I was reading your reply... I hope it's resolved soon.

This started early this morning. I have a Hopper 3. While watching TV, either live or a recorded show, after a few minutes, the screen goes black. Changing channels brings the screen back. Obviously, I tried rebooting and unplugging it several times, to no avail. The software is 309, so, nothing new there. I need help ASAP!

Please send me a PM of you Account#, 4 digit pin#, R00, S00, Boot strap and Software Version. I can look into this for you.

I thought that this was only an issue that I had. It did this quite a bit on the Hopper 2. I would PM Dish a lot, because it would do it with my daughter's Super Joey. Finally, after so many problems, and many PM's on Facebook, Dish scheduled me another tech visit. Now, I have Hopper 3, and the installer did some more rewiring, and I am happy to say, that the black screen and shutting off is the thing of the past. Was it a problem with the Hopper 2? Or, was it the issue with the old wiring? It may have been both, but I am having maybe about less than 10 percent of problems. All may want to ask Dish about another possible issue with old wiring. It may or may not be the problem, but worth mentioning and a lot less headaches/lowered BP. Has anyone else, heard about YouTube being added as one of the Apps with the Hopper 3?

Mine started the exact same thing this morning. Goes to a black screen after a few mins. and only comes back on when you change the channel and then it goes black again. Did a reset and it didn't help. We had some bad storms last night and I was afraid that may have hurt something.

Had to leave for work so hopefully its straightened out by the time I get home. Since others are having the same problem, then I guess its something on Dishs end.

I have also noticed that mine H3 has also went black now at least 3 times in the last 24 hours. My software is U309. Frustrating in loosing paused shows.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Anyone else? DISH is looking for more people having this issue.
I have the same problem. At first thought it was just with DVR events that would go black and revert to live tv. Then I found that the live TV would also do the same; go black after a few minutes. Changing channels would bring back the channels. I called into Dish Tech support who ran through some diagnostic but found nothing. They then said they thought it was bad hard drive and sending me another hopper but I was hesitant as this did not look hardware related and going through the hassle of setting up a new hopper only to have this same problem is not something I want to do. BTW the diagnostics show all green.

I have the same problem. At first thought it was just with DVR events that would go black and revert to live tv. Then I found that the live TV would also do the same; go black after a few minutes. Changing channels would bring back the channels. I called into Dish Tech support who ran through some diagnostic but found nothing. They then said they thought it was bad hard drive and sending me another hopper but I was hesitant as this did not look hardware related and going through the hassle of setting up a new hopper only to have this same problem is not something I want to do. BTW the diagnostics show all green.
Also, looking at TV activity, I show only three tuners with tuners one and two available and tuner three having everything else. Don't know if this is normal.

I had the black screen, too - channel up, channel down, back to normal. Also, halfway through watching a recording it dropped to live on the recording's channel (not previously tuned), went back to DVR menu and resumed normally. No reset required.

When it drops does it drop back to the recording channel? (So if you were watching something recorded on channel 105 and the recorded drops you to live, it also drops you to channel 105 too)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)