Dead ShawDirect Dish: What to do?

TimeHorse

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
As a followup to my comment in the F2 weak signal thread, I think I need a new dish and a professional opinion. So, given that I can't get any signal from the dish, and accepting that despite my best efforts, there may be a user error issue involved, what should I do. My situation is as follows: 2 1/2 dead DSR530s, typically dying on an annual basis, but never any problem with dish. I was getting a weak signal before I started tinkering -- which is why I started tinkering, obviously -- but now I'm dead. The magnetic is the hardest to align but I think I got it. I had trouble loosening the elevation adjustment screws, but if I understand the markings -- which I don't admit to -- the point where the semi-circular metal adjustment screw holder intersects the elevation gradients is the current dish elevation. The Skew is easy to read. So, I'm mainly concerned with the magnetic alignment but since it's so near to parallel to my neighburs place I THINK I have it right.

So, given this, is it a) worth it to have a local installer come out to have a go at alignment or b) try and ship the dish back to my broker and see if I can do an exchange where I bear all shipping costs or c) just buy a new dish from the broker? If I go with a) is it possible the local installer could get replacement parts for the dish if it is failing? I'm so befuddled by this because even before the adjustment, I couldn't get HDs, but now I can't get anything INCLUDING HD.Net Canada which the ONLY source of Torchwood in HD available to DirecTV and Dish subscribers in North America! If it was a receiver box, then I don't mind paying shipping both ways since ShawDirect will cover the cost of replacement. But what do you do with a bad dish???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Washington, D.C.; 75cm dish.

Last edited:
I'm no proessional, but enjoy this as a hobby. My advice is to confirm your settings with Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com (Choose Starchoice 107W & 111W in the drop down menu). In the top right of the map there is an obstacle checker you can enable to help confirm you are clear of trees and the house next door. Next I would make sure that there are no issues with the coax cables & connectors. If all of that looks ok the quad lnb head would be the next thing to be concerned about. I would just order it (there is no need for the whole dish). Even if this is not your problem it is nice to have a backup lnb head just incase. Make sure they know it is for the 75E dish as the smaller dish uses a different quad lnb head. If you still have problems then I would get an installer as now you know all of your parts are in good working order.

You should have a tv and your receiver NEAR the dish (ie, in sight) when adjusting.

for pointing, I suggest using an in-line meter in addition to the "options 6-4-3-1" on the receiver. I'm willing to bet you tinkered your dish out of alignment and it (or more specifically, your LNB) is probably still working. Also, this may sound stupid, but double check that you reconnected everything after tinkering.

if it is a hardware problem, you should swap the LNB, not the whole dish. that being said, I would suggest you consider changing to two separate dishes, one pointed at each sat (F1R and F2). makes pointing and aligning much easier.

sorry, can't help more than that.

I'm no proessional, but enjoy this as a hobby. My advice is to confirm your settings with Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com...

Oh, yeah! I love that site and strongly recommend it, even if it doesn't work on the iPhone! As for line of site, it's giving me about 27ft and the neighbor has only 2 stories plus roof, so that should be less than 27ft AFAICT. I agree with the second LNB idea though, as that's the expensive bit.

Also, thanks Frenchophile for the suggestion; I was thinking of going that but never got around to it because I was having so much trouble getting anything even with the broadest of adjustments but another go with a close monitor would be helpful so I'll try that as it would also eliminate the question of connections. The thing is, I set this thing up before, you'd think I'd be able to do it again, even if getting a proper compass bearing is such a pain.

Thanks again!

Jeffrey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)