Deadliest Catch captain suffers stroke and dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no! Very sad indeed. He is not a healthy person, that's for sure. I hope he gets better.

I heard he had to have surgery due to brain swelling and is in an induced coma. I think Phil's days of crabbing are over. :(

I hate to hear that update. The show won't be the same without him. I'm glad that his kids were able to spend the time that they did with him the past couple years as I'm sure that things won't be the same going forward. My girlfriend's mom had a stroke about 3 years ago and passed away this past year due to complications from the stroke. It is a very difficult time for the family (many times more so than for the sick person).

Yeah, they were offloading, it's opilio season, and a friend of the family flew in to complete the season. So Discovery has his king crab and half of the opilio seaosn probably shot with Phil Harris' last 2 trips at the helm of his boat.

He went through 12 hours of surgery, and is in a medical induced coma as of yesterday.

Deadliest Catch" Captain Phil Harris died Tuesday, a Discovery Channel spokesperson confirmed.

The Seattle-based skipper of the Cornelia Marie suffered a stroke two weeks ago was recently placed in a medically induced coma to reduce brain swelling. He awoke last week and was reportedly showing signs of improvement. Harris passed away in the hospital. Details are not yet available.

From Discovery Channel:

"Discovery mourns the loss of dear friend and colleague Captain Phil Harris. He was more than someone on our television screen. Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart. We share our tremendous sadness over this loss with the millions of viewers who followed Phil's every move. We send our thoughts and prayers to Phil's sons Josh and Jake and the Cornelia Marie crew."

From Jake and Josh Harris:

"It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad -- Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end. For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down. We will remember and celebrate that strength. Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers."

Rest in Peace Phil. I enjoyed watching you on TV and only wish you could have been with us longer. I hope you are chasing that big catch in the sky now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)