Deadline for Decison on UND Fighting Sioux extended to Oct 31

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
i know tha t there is an open thread in another forum but since this is really a sports story I decided to place this here.

The Ticker - U. of North Dakota's 'Fighting Sioux' Nickname Wins 30-Day Reprieve - The Chronicle of Higher Education

I thought that the holdout tribe had a tribal election yesterday but I did no see news on that.

I know that most of you have either never heard of UND (it is a MAJOR college hockey power) or think that the school has every tight to use the nickname even without tribal consent. In previous discussions I have pretty much been alone in sting that the decision should rest with the people being depicted. In this cas though i am just reporting the news.
:)

i know tha t there is an open thread in another forum but since this is really a sports story I decided to place this here.

The Ticker - U. of North Dakota's 'Fighting Sioux' Nickname Wins 30-Day Reprieve - The Chronicle of Higher Education

I thought that the holdout tribe had a tribal election yesterday but I did no see news on that.

I know that most of you have either never heard of UND (it is a MAJOR college hockey power) or think that the school has every tight to use the nickname even without tribal consent. In previous discussions I have pretty much been alone in sting that the decision should rest with the people being depicted. In this cas though i am just reporting the news.
:)

If it is decided they cannot use the name, will the powers that be here follow precedent and make you change your nickname as well? ;)

Sandra

You know what if I ever heard from a descendant of the other Geronimo who told me that the name was offensive, disrespectful etc I would change it. The name by the way is a reasonably common nickname----the avatar is another matter though.

Believe it or not this has come up before. The few other Native Americans ain these forums had no problem with it and we never did hear from the family. I guess they are more concerned with whether the Yale Skull and Bones Society has his skull.

You know what if I ever heard from a descendant of the other Geronimo who told me that the name was offensive, disrespectful etc I would change it. The name by the way is a reasonably common nickname----the avatar is another matter though.

Believe it or not this has come up before. The few other Native Americans ain these forums had no problem with it and we never did hear from the family. I guess they are more concerned with whether the Yale Skull and Bones Society has his skull.

Count me as shocked that no descendants of Geronimo frequent the Satellite Guys forums! :D

Sandra

There are a lot more of those than you might think! But I would agree that I am sort of beneath their notice.

Geronimo -

Shocked you think you're alone on this one. I agree that the depicted party should have the right to approve/disapprove of use.

The question is, though - what do you do with the non-specific ones (Redskins, Indians, etc)?

I agree that the less specific ones are tough. A lot has to do with how you handle some of thse names. A trm like Indians does not bother most. But the specific imagery can. Redskins is another complicated matter. The term did originate in a pejorative sense even if that may not be how it was meant by the earlier owner. But as you point out who do you get permission from?

You are right on that score Iceberg. Murphy has said he intends to put it to a vote. but according to the link ia referendum can't possibly happen by Oct 31 so who knows/

Thanks for finding tha t link BTW I did a number of searches yesterday but got nowhere. I bow to your superior skills with Google.

I agree that the depicted party should have the right to approve/disapprove of use.

The question is, though - what do you do with the non-specific ones (Redskins, Indians, etc)?
Depends.

For teams like the Braves, then it should be okay, as it's really no different than Vikings, which is another type of warrior.

Indians - a hard one, as that represents an entire race. But handled correctly should be okay, same as is done with the Irish.

Redskins - a racial term, owing to it's origin, in my opinion, Washington should switch back to it's original name of the Braves.

Those named after tribes, as long as the tribe okay's it, then there should be no problem.

Actually nothing is done with the Irish. If by that you mean wait to see if they complain--(and they never have about the other UND) I will buy that.

They changed it too 30 days so they can see if they want too put it up to a vote and then will extend it more so they can have the election. The election would have to be 30 days after they decide if one will be available. That would move it too 60 days and this is the second sioux tribe in the state of North Dakota that has to decide the fate of the nickname as the first one already favored keeping the nickname with a 67% majority a couple months ago.

You are right on that score Iceberg. Murphy has said he intends to put it to a vote. but according to the link ia referendum can't possibly happen by Oct 31 so who knows/

Thanks for finding tha t link BTW I did a number of searches yesterday but got nowhere. I bow to your superior skills with Google.

it wasn't hard. I just looked on the local ABC site wdaz.com ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts