Deal of a Lifetime!

meftech

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
Grand Rapids, Michigan
WOW! Dish Network just amazed the heck out of me! They are replacing my 222 with a Dual Tuner DVR, and I'm getting an extra one. They are only charging me $15 for install because I have DHPP. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone got the same deal.

Kevin

WOW! Dish Network just amazed the heck out of me! They are replacing my 222 with a Dual Tuner DVR, and I'm getting an extra one. They are only charging me $15 for install because I have DHPP. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone got the same deal.

Kevin

Did they tell you about the extra $23 in fees you will pay per month?

Did they tell you about the extra $23 in fees you will pay per month?

E is laughing all the way to the bank..........

found out tonight a high school buddy i installed many years ago is canceling over the fee increase and ongoing 722 hassles, he called asking if i wanted to buy his boxes, he bought all of them

Yes I know about the extra fees but I look at it this way. If I go with any other provider I'd have to pay for 5 extra tv's which would be at the least $25, or like U-Verse would be $35. So really I'd rather pay the little extra to Dish to have the channels I want.

I got a free 722K and I don't pay the $5.99 a month for the DHPP.

So for a year you'll pay $71.88 for DHPP plus the $15 for the install for a total of $86.88.

Me, $0.00

Maybe I got the deal of a lifetime :rolleyes:

Hey DHPP is not that bad of a deal. Box goes bad they send you a new one, switch, LNB, same thing. Put up a new dish for me to get my eastern arc, no problems.

I've gotten maybe 3 receivers, 4 switches, 1 LNB and one dish in 8 years for no charge via DHPP.

Hey DHPP is not that bad of a deal. Box goes bad they send you a new one, switch, LNB, same thing. Put up a new dish for me to get my eastern arc, no problems.

I've gotten maybe 3 receivers, 4 switches, 1 LNB and one dish in 8 years for no charge via DHPP.

Except for the $576 you spent of DHPP... Just sayin'...

Yep, but figure that every time a tech comes to your house its $100, they had to come out twice last week to figure out how to put up the 1000.4 dish and keep my 508 and 721 all working, didn't cost me a dime. Went from a 501 to 508 and replaced the 508 twice for free cause of a bad HDD $0.

Thats my $500 right there, not to mention the LNB and switches.

i dont understand this protection plan thing. if we're leasing the boxes from dish and one goes bad, what would we have to pay for if we dont have a protection plan?

I had directv for 2 years and had their protection plan - never used it. I'm assuming i'll never use it from dish either unless their equipment is funky.

i dont understand this protection plan thing. if we're leasing the boxes from dish and one goes bad, what would we have to pay for if we dont have a protection plan?

I had directv for 2 years and had their protection plan - never used it. I'm assuming i'll never use it from dish either unless their equipment is funky.

I don't have the protection plan. Something went wrong and they sent me a new box. I paid $15 shipping and nothing else.

With DHPP if a box fails dish sends you a replacement at no cost including a prepaid shipping lable for returning the broken box. If you need an upgrade to your dish's or an LNB fails they send a tech out for a $15.00 fee no mater how long it takes to make the repair or upgrade and there is no cost to you for the equipment or the Tech. Without DHPP you bear the expense. Kind of sucks since you lease the box, but I guess dish uses the same model as car leasing companies do. You leae a car you pay for maintenance, you also pay the sales tax and in my state you even have to pay the annual excise tax but you don't own it.
The Hard Drive in a DVR takes a lot of abuse. Even when not recording a program the HD is recording the program you are watching, that is how you are able to go backwards, go into slow motion and freeze frames. This generates a lot of heat. If your box is inside an enclosed entertainment unit it will definitly decrease the use full life of the unit. It is recommended that if your box is enclosed that your provide additional ventilation. I have a USB fan attached to my 722 that pulls air through the unit and has kept it about 20 or so degrees cooler than without. This is my third DVR in 4 years and it wasn't until I joined this forum that I found out that the ventilation on these boxs is terrible thus the need for extra help

Ross

I dropped protection plan when it went from 2 bucks. $1.99

It must of been bleeding red ink, they had so much bad software boxes were constantly in travel mode.

I havent had a receiver failure since my 721 days. went thru 7 or more of them.

E should build the protection plan into the lease cost.

So ross - your high failure rate was likely a result of it over-heating? I'm brand new to dish so i dont know what their reliability is like. My box is not in any sort of cabinet. It's on a shelf under the tv and the shelf is open on all 4 sides so hopefully heat wont be much of an issue. But considering USB fans are pretty cheap, maybe i'll pick one up.

Did you pick up an internal fan? or just one of those fans that's supposed to sit on your desk and cool you off?

E should build the protection plan into the lease cost.

Don't give em' any ideas. Receiver fees are too high already. I like the option of adding / removing DHPP when you need something. Even with the $25 cancel fee it's much cheaper than carrying it full time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts